Thread: My Atrocious Squat Form. Save Me!

My Atrocious Squat Form. Save Me!

Righto.

My squat form is bad. Real bad. Badder then supervillains, worse then curling in the squat rack, heck it makes serial killers look good. (I'm in a theatrical mood )

I can't hit depth for shiz without rounding out my back till I look like the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I am making a constant effort in my head to try and correct these by pulling my chest up and trying to flex my back muscles as recommended by Rippetoe in Starting Strength. I still look like this though.
    My flexibility is not great and I will admit I have not made a concious effort to static stretching though my reasoning for this is that I have read a lot of conflicting articles and crap on this. I want to hear from people that squat a lot what I'm doing wrong as sadly no one around where I live powerlifts or anything like that.
    I did do OLY lifting however I felt that my form was still terrible and my coach was not paying much attention to it as I was a fairly low level athlete.

I should be getting OLY lifting shoes soon which I believe will help slightly with depth but I feel that my problem goes far beyond equipment.

Im squatting with an empty bar, pardon the ****house lighting and the attire.

Help me guys I beg of you!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=j4ogeA6sog0
    Video
    Last edited by tomv; 02-05-2008 at 04:09 AM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

You're GMing the weight at the bottom and that is why you're getting the rounding sensation. You keep your elbows forward, which is a good thing, but you've got to keep the chest poked up and out. Stand tall and proud. Here's some other things I noticed:

1) Form isn't THAT ****ty until you get to the bottom.

2) You've got to push your hips back before you start the lift. Think about pointing your ass up towards the ceiling. Don't let it tuck under before you start the lift.

3) Push your knees out instead of down. You should feel your hips tighten up when you do this.

4) Don't lead with your knees. This goes back to the hips comment. Kick your hips back and then start the descent by moving them back instead of the knees traveling over the tops of your feet.

5) Use some more weight and take another video with some shorts on. Heavier weight is going to bring out more stuff and we don't need to see your quads to tell you what you're doing wrong.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Look up "the third world squat" on t-nation. Start by holding onto a door or something and sitting in the ATG position for about a minute each day, then eventually lessen your hold on the door until you can do it freely. That helped my squat flexibility a lot.

Ah yeah the squatter in boxers was because I hate the feeling of like... tight pants on my thighs when i'm squatting or DLing and unfortunately my workout shorts were drenched (rain). Next time I'll have shorts on ;-).
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Klotz View Post
    Look up "the third world squat" on t-nation. Start by holding onto a door or something and sitting in the ATG position for about a minute each day, then eventually lessen your hold on the door until you can do it freely. That helped my squat flexibility a lot.
    Yes. I talk about this in Squat Rx #1, but here it is as well: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2007/11/...es-of-woe.html

Edit: There are, of course, a lot of other things we could do, but I would go from there.
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-05-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Yes. I talk about this in Squat Rx #1, but here it is as well: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2007/11/...es-of-woe.html

Edit: There are, of course, a lot of other things we could do, but I would go from there.
    Watch Squat Rx, it really helps.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Wannabebig New Member

squat.

videos are a good tool. you need to get out of your garage and join a gym. find a good trainer, one that is certified, imho with NSCA and have their CSCS. and train with him or her until your form is perfect and you can do it without the trainer having to correct you for a couple cessions. Probally the best advice one can give, esp. with squats is the form is more important than weight. with proper form the weight will come.