The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

The dieing of a generation

Sitting here in my seat reading standard WBB threads the song "Shine on your crazy diamond" came on and for some reason I instantly thought of my grandpa. In April its going to be a year since he died. Like many he was a holocaust survivor who has seen the horrors of Auschwitz. Not many people has seen what he has. As the years go on people like him will of course die and with them, stories . In the next 10 years the amount of holocaust survivors, WW2 veterans, WW1 veterans, and anyone else who have been apart of the most influential history of mankind will no longer be around to tell us stories.

I dont know if you can grasp this concept but now we always ask these people "What was it like back then". When we are older and have grandkids they wont have the opportunity to ask the people who witnessed first hand the most important time of humanity. They are going to be so amazed. They will learn of the war, technological discoveries, and great turning points in man kind that have defined who we are today. They will be amazed and ask us "What was it like to know a person in the war?". Kind of incredible to think about.

The point of this thread. Talk to your grandparents. They are an important generation. Learn everything about their past and experiences because you may not have much time. You owe it to your kids/grandkids. I always talked to my grandparents on both sides and have learned a lot from them. But of course you always have that little voice in the back of your mind saying you could have done more to learn from them.

I think im going to call my grandparents tomorrow.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 02-05-2008 at 09:33 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's pretty wild that there's still people alive that were born before cars were invented.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Grandpa died last weekend, he was a pilot post WWII. He was probably the most well traveled man I knew, he had done pilot training all over asia, africa, and europe. Pretty much anywhere that was importing communist airplanes at the time. I remember having to chose between staying with my grandparents or parents when I was 5 because of some family feuding...I picked the grandparents.

Death happens, i'm just upset he didn't get to pass away peacefully...

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    It's pretty wild that there's still people alive that were born before cars were invented.
    The first automobile was put in production in the late 1800s, I dunno if anyone is alive from that time. But I know what you mean, my great grandma was exactly 100 when she passed away in 2002, the stories she would tell always sounded like something out of the medieval ages.
    Last edited by lakeripple; 02-06-2008 at 05:06 AM.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

My grandpa didnt die peacefully either... he went out for a morning swim in the ocean and drowned... horrible way to die.

Im kind of curious.... if you dont mind my asking... How did you at the ag of 5 have the ability to distinguish right/wrong? What did you base your choice on if you remember.

Custom User Title
    I don't have time to do actual research, but I'm pretty sure there are only two remaining US WWI veterans. Two! Someone needs to go write down every single word that comes out of their mouths...
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

Training log

There are a few people alive today who were born in the 1880s. A few people who were involved in WWII will live another 30 years, at least. Still, they have to check out eventually, and I am sad to see them go.
    Last edited by bjohnso; 02-06-2008 at 12:52 PM.

bjohnso, I met a guy born in 1888, pretty crazy!

This could be said of every generation.. The civil war, the war of 1812, and so on and so forth back.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    bjohnso, I met a guy born in 1888, pretty crazy!
    It's absolutely mind boggling to think that he turned 15 the year of the Wright Brothers first flight, 30 when WWI ended, 57 when WWII ended, 98 when Challenger exploded. It blows my mind.

I remember you making a thread about him. Was he lucid?

Very. He wasn't crazy or anything. I never really carried on a conversation with him only because I didnt know him very well. After 10-15 min of talking he gets tired and has to rest from what ive seen. He even walks on his own with a bit of help from a cane.

There's a guy that goes to my church back home, he's something around 102 or 103. His daughter has to drive him around, but other than that he lives by himself still and can walk just fine. Man I can't imagine being alive that long.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

I met this guy: Harlan Cleveland

I meet a lot of old people through work, I think the oldest person I've talked with was 103.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    My grandpa didnt die peacefully either... he went out for a morning swim in the ocean and drowned... horrible way to die.

Im kind of curious.... if you dont mind my asking... How did you at the ag of 5 have the ability to distinguish right/wrong? What did you base your choice on if you remember.
    I was mainly living with my grandparents at the time on their farm, seeing my parents on the weekends. Both my parents were really good, city life would just be too complicated and my grandparents had a HUGE farm. There was a heated argument between my grandparents and my parents, it turned into talking about me, and taking care of me, and I guess my parents were saying how they would get someone else to take care of me ...and at the end of the day my parents told me to come home with them to the city, and my grandma told me to stay. I stayed, and my parents left. I may have been even younger than 5, probably one of my earliest memories. This weekday / weekend thing between my grandparents and parents happened till I was 6 when we moved, I'm probably still closer to my grandparents than parents even though I rarely saw them after we moved.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.