The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Update:

So I spoke with Laura at TPS today. I told her I was referred by Rhodes at South Side Barbell. I think I'm going to set-up a 4 pack of personal training sessions to work on bench form, bench shirt proper use, squat/deadlift form.

Thanks for the referral Rhodes..

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Also, I spent a while thinking about it and I think Rhodes is right here. The truth is until April/May I won't have the time to train consistently with the TPS guys. I think what I will do is forget about this meet I was thinking about, and focus on bodybuilding (getting really cut like I've been doing for the last 6 weeks). I will go this weekend to get a personal training session on bench shirts and bench form at TPS, so I can maybe incorporate my shirt into some of my bodybuilding efforts. Then once I reach my goal, I will start eating a lot of calories and by then should have more free time, and I will start training with the TPS guys regularly (3-4 times a week). This way I can make the most of my situation now and in the future..

Banned
    I only train at Southside 1x per week. Just go there on ME Bench day. As a college senior, it's hard to believe that you don't have time. I guess you NEVER go out in Boston, ever. You must be in class, or in your room studying, or in the library studying ALL, the time? You're missing out on a lot of fun times in Bean Town. i used to go to Victory, The Kells, and The Purple Shamrock. I had one crazy night during March Madness when I was in high school. We were at The Crimson. I carried my cousin to the car over my shoulder. Then we had to drive to BC. That's where he went to school. You're missing out on a fun time.

Here's a bench plan. Don't ask me questions about it. Just figure it out on your own. Don't asl what to do working up to the shirt. Don't ask what to do after the shirt. No questions. You wanted a plan, here it is:

3 weeks of triples
    1 week out of shirt
    3 weeks of doubles
    1 week out of shirt
    3 weeks of singles
    1 week out
    repeat

I don't know what weight you should use. But, I can tell you, if you miss a weight, it was too heavy. You should touch the 2nd rep on triples and possibly the 1st, and the both reps on doubles. I'm not sure what your weight jumps should be each week. I don't know where you're weak or what you should work on to get stronger.

My point is, you'll go nowhere on your own. You need to be around people who know how to lift. Proper fitting of your shirt is easy. If you can put it on by yourself, it's too lose. You're a college student, so I know you have all the answers. I remember those days, all too well.

Like I said earlier, spend time finding training partner and a good atmosphere and less time worrying about training templates. It's all theory, anyways.

Rhodes man, I completely agree about the whole training with others better than you in the right environment!

So I went to TPS today and spent a couple hours talking to Laura / looking around.

I bought a 4-month membership and I bought a personal training session with Murph to work exclusively on my bench shirt and bench form. I'm going to hopefully do the session sometime this week. As far as my training goes, Laura told me I should be ok to join their power-team which lifts 3 days a week (MWF) for a couple hours. They train for both PL and Strongman. I REALLY liked the strongman equipment, and I think I want to focus my training on strongman instead of PL. I think it would be way funner for me to try something new like strongman meet as opposed to a PL meet!

But yea man Rhodes, you were absolutely right. I'm really excited about training with the TPS guys and I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

As far as the college senior thing goes, normally people have more free time senior year. But, I did a ****ty job of scheduling classes last year and now I have more than I thought I would this term to graduate. Which I suspect will eat a lot of my free time.. but your right, it's all excuses. I'm going to drag my ass to TPS 3 times a week and train like a man. No more bull****.
    Last edited by dxiw; 02-09-2008 at 02:54 PM.

It's rare that people actually listen to good advice. You've taken the first step. Now go lift some heavy weights.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    It's rare that people actually listen to good advice. You've taken the first step. Now go lift some heavy weights.
    Agreed.

dxiw, if you hold true to those words, you've just earned a good deal of respect. Good luck and crush some weight!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Just to update you guys:

I'm leaving in a hour for my personal training session with Murph at TPS. We're going to work on bench shirt groove and perfecting my form today. I carb-loaded some last night and am well-hydrated. I'm hoping to hit a PR today..

I am SUPER excited!

BAPC - League City, TX UHCougar05's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    Just to update you guys:

I'm leaving in a hour for my personal training session with Murph at TPS. We're going to work on bench shirt groove and perfecting my form today. I carb-loaded some last night and am well-hydrated. I'm hoping to hit a PR today..

I am SUPER excited!
    SFW!
    Chris Hartschuh

My Team's Youtube Videos

http://www.thewarehousegym.net/

Meet PRs: 745/465/570 APF Class I @275
    Gym PRs: 705/475/555

Word! If you continue to keep an open mind and take the advice of thsoe who are experienced and stronger than you, you will go far!

Dedication + knowledge + intensity = You Rule the ****ing World!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Hell ****ing yes. PR baby!!! Here's the breakdown:
    5 min walk on treadmill
    Talk about how to set-up, etc
    M.E. Bench 45x4, 95x4, 135x1, 185x1, 225x1, 275xmiss, (puts on ****ty Inzer Blast shirt that is too big and doesn't do anything), 275x1, 300x1 (PR!!!!)
    The following were broken into sets of 4-6:
    Pullups (BW) 25 reps
    Tricep Extensions (skullcrushers, DB extension) 50 reps
    Decline Sit-ups 50 reps

Here are the notes I took from our discussion and practice:
    ME Bench form (step-by-step)
    1. Sit on end of bench, heels out, on toes, squeeze bench
    2. Arch back and fall backwards
    3. Grab center of bar and slide all the way back (to lock in foot squeeze)
    4. Pull body forward and balance on back of head creating monster arch
    5. Remain on head (shoulders in air) and one hand at a time make grip (index on ring)
    6. Squeeze shoulder blades together as absolutely tightly as possible
    7. Inhale a deep breath and forcefully push out as hard as possible into the belt (from stomach)
    8. Hold the breath, touch shoulder blades to bench, receive hand off
    9. Bring weight down, touch chest, explode up as fast as possible
    10. While coming up try to bend the bar with forearms (this causes you triceps to take the right groove)
    Last edited by dxiw; 02-12-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Great work man! Sounds like you got some great advice for shirted training

So, one thing I noticed today was that I was touching at my lower pec (near nipples, maybe even a little lower) to get the best launch, but when I exploded with heavier weight (I attempt 320 but missed because of this) the weight felt fine but the shirt drove the weight upward to my neck and I lost control of it. Murph told me it was because the Inzer Blast has a groove that touches on the upper pec and is just an overall lousy shirt. He told me to buy an open-back double-ply shirt and have him train me in that.

Just from you guys experience - what is the best open back shirt that provides power with a relatively low touch point (lower pec area)?

I was thinking of an Inzer Denim or Inzer Phenom. I pretty much realized I'm not going to get **** from the Blast..

I'd probably actually recommend the Rage X, the Phenom has a pretty different groove than what you're going to be used to.

As far as the denim goes, you're going to be touching ALOT lower than what you've been doing. A Rage will allow you to adjust your bar placement since it has a larger groove. Whichever shirt you choose, I suggest you get someone to measure you and then call it in so you get the shirt custom made for you

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    So, one thing I noticed today was that I was touching at my lower pec (near nipples, maybe even a little lower) to get the best launch, but when I exploded with heavier weight (I attempt 320 but missed because of this) the weight felt fine but the shirt drove the weight upward to my neck and I lost control of it. Murph told me it was because the Inzer Blast has a groove that touches on the upper pec and is just an overall lousy shirt. He told me to buy an open-back double-ply shirt and have him train me in that.

Just from you guys experience - what is the best open back shirt that provides power with a relatively low touch point (lower pec area)?

I was thinking of an Inzer Denim or Inzer Phenom. I pretty much realized I'm not going to get **** from the Blast..
    Get an INZER RAGE X!

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?