The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Good Bench Shirt Routine?

I just got my Inzer Blast and I'm looking for a good powerlifting bench press routine. I've been thinking of doing alternating weeks 5x5 and then 8x1-2.

I have many years of lifting experience and a good base. I'm looking to enter a meet in May and would like to bring up my bench as much as possible before then. I haven't maxed, but I'd estimate my raw bench max today is about 275-300.

Advice?

I do have a set of boards (1-5 board), but no chains or bands.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

any particular reason you chose the Blast?

Biggest thing that helped me was getting in with some guys who knew shirts well. Shirts can be a real pain to figure out on your own, especially if you don't have anyone to spot and handle you.

As far as a routine, when I'm shirt training, I like to get in mine every other week. For your first workout, you might start with like a 3 board and work down to a 2 or 1 board for some easy singles just to get a feel for the shirt. I wouldn't expect more than 50lbs out of that shirt though maybe some have gotten more out of it

I just wanted a cheap, single-ply poly shirt so I could get back into shirt benching. In a few months, I'll start training in something nicer and use it for my meet.

And I'm kind of out of luck, because I'm the only guy in my gym who trains with a shirt. People even walk up and ask me what the hell I'm wearing and say it looks silly.. (argh I know.. frustrating)

I have my two best friends that help me get in and out of it, also they are spotters.
    Last edited by dxiw; 02-06-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Banned
    the blast wount really help you with to much extra pounds on your bench, i can bench the same with it then without it. but mine is "loose"
    i like it because it helps prevent injuries while training. just dont expect to get more then 30lbs extra out of it if its tight.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    If you are going to just use it as a training shirt, you could always cut the back and make it an open-back. When I did a single-ply meet recently, I did that with a blast shirt and used it at the meet(I didn't feel like spending money on a new shirt). It was the EHPHD I believe and I hit 315(with a 250 raw). So you can get something out of a blast, but it is the bottom of the barrell.

The good thing about the blast is that you can use your natural bench groove in it and it won't throw you all over. Touching shouldn't be much of an issue like it is with the gangsta shirts. I would train your bench much like you normally do and maybe throw in some lower board work(2-3 boards) and maybe some lockouts if your triceps are lagging.

If your true plan is to compete in a better shirt though, you should try and get in it sooner rather than later. Learning a good shirt can take some time and you don't want to be all messed up with trying to touch and learning a shirt as the meet gets close. Good luck with it.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I'm going to second what Chris said, get the shirt you plan on competing in as soon as you can, that way you can learn the new groove better. The blast will keep you from shoulder strain and the like, but won't teach you much about shirted benching and you don't want to change things up much the closer you get to your meet

Banned
    Train how you compete.

If no one is a PLer in your gym, go find a better gym. Or at least find a better gym to train bench in. Spend more time looking for training partners and less time worrying about templates.

i just saw you live in Cambridge. TPS in Riviere. Call Murph at Total Performance Sports. No excuses now.
    Last edited by RhodeHouse; 02-06-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Rhodes - I'd love to workout with those guys, but unfortunately Revere is a solid 20-30 minute drive from where I live, and being the broke/busy college student I am, my car is parked in the cheap parking a 20 minute walk away. That's an extra 1.5-2hrs on top of whatever I spend in the gym. I have a ton of work to do for school (lectures, recitations, tutorials, lab and homework) and don't have the time for that. The gym I go to is actually a state-of-the-art fitness center here on campus (cost like $50 million or something ridiculous) and has a huge budget for getting new equipment - I'm in the process of having them buy bands, chains, etc. Unfortunately, most of the people in the gym are doing the elliptical and playing on the machines. But the powerlifting equipment is there - we have reverse hyper machine, multiple squat safety racks, all different types of benches, cambered bars, etc - I'm just one of three people that use it lol.

So what type of shirt should I buy?

I really just got the Blast because it was a cheap way to try to relearn training in a shirt. Do you think the HD Blast would be good for competition or should I move up to something better - even a denim such as the Phenom? I'm looking to get 50-100 lb out of the shirt, without too much extreme discomfort haha

Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post

Rhodes - I'd love to workout with those guys, but unfortunately Revere is a solid 20-30 minute drive from where I live, and being the broke/busy college student I am, my car is parked in the cheap parking a 20 minute walk away. That's an extra 1.5-2hrs on top of whatever I spend in the gym. I have a ton of work to do for school (lectures, recitations, tutorials, lab and homework) and don't have the time for that. The gym I go to is actually a state-of-the-art fitness center here on campus (cost like $50 million or something ridiculous) and has a huge budget for getting new equipment - I'm in the process of having them buy bands, chains, etc. Unfortunately, most of the people in the gym are doing the elliptical and playing on the machines. But the powerlifting equipment is there - we have reverse hyper machine, multiple squat safety racks, all different types of benches, cambered bars, etc - I'm just one of three people that use it lol.

I really just got the Blast because it was a cheap way to try to relearn training in a shirt. Do you think the HD Blast would be good for competition or should I move up to something better - even a denim such as the Phenom? I'm looking to get 50-100 lb out of the shirt, without too much extreme discomfort haha
    well to be terribly honest you're not going to get much out of a shirt if you don't like the pain. I'm not calling you a wuss or anything, but shirts hurt. Lou will usually tell me if I"m not bruised when I get out of it, then it ain't tight enough. What you're going to need with a shirt is guys who can help you in them, know how to set the shirt, and be ready to spot you (three man spot) when you're in the shirt. You might want to focus on your raw strength for awhile. Sorry to crap on your parade though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post

You're missing the point. Boards, bands, chains - that stuff doesn't make you a powerlifter. Bands and chains have been around for about 15 years. I'm positive guys got really strong without bands and chains. They are gimmicks. What makes people strong is training with people that are stronger.

And, I know what it's like to be a student. School is most important, but all your excuses as to why you can't walk 20 minutes to your car to drive 20 minutes to a gym with people that can make you stronger are just that. Excuses. Sorry, but that's the truth. $50 million gyms don't mean a thing to me. Southside is a $hithole. The equipment is older than I am. There's 2 800lb benchers and 4 900lb squatters and 1 on the verge of 1000. Expensive equipment is just pretty to look at. It's the atmosphere, not the equipment. But, you'll do whatever you want. I can't help you with routines because it doesn't matter what you do. It matters who you train with. Best of luck to you.

Banned
    rage, rage x, f6, furry, phenom any of those will give you a good gain once you learn them

Banned
    furry? Is that like a raccoon pelt or something? :P

totally agree with the others. Worry about school and go raw. Raw meets area blast, easy to train for and you never miss an opener (hopfully). You have all the time in world to compete equipped, it sounds as if school is number 1 and it should be. Without at least one real solid training partner, it would be difficult at bext to train equipped. Also, as silly as it sounds a blast is more difficult to get into by yourself than an open back double denim.
    sponsored by Anderson powerlifting (Titan gear) AtLarge nutrition and APT prowriststraps

How sad do you have to be to lie to people on the internet. How weak or broken do you have to be to lie about how tough you are, how much you lift or how big or lean you are? You are lying to people you will never meet. The worst part is your the only one that does not see the lies show through so clearly. Just be happy with what you have, it may not be what you once had, but it is still better than many will ever have

Perhaps I misled some of you guys.

I have boards already, and my school is working on getting chains/bands. I know what I am doing (in high school when I trained for PL I used boards and chains with a cheap no-name bench shirt) and I have two serious guys who lift with me that can get me in/out of the shirt and know how to properly spot me. I know how to "swim" to get the wrinkles out of the underarm area and how to properly get the shirt placed. I don't understand why I can't train in a shirt all of a sudden???

I was asking a simple question:
    What is a good shirt to move onto after the blast if I want good results for the weight I am looking to bench: 300-400 pounds range?

I am very serious about school, but about lifting too. I log every workout, my daily weight and every calories that goes into me. I basically separate 2.5 hours everyday purely for lifting / lifting related stuff, then give the rest of the time to school.

not saying you can't, but I've been there and its a royal pain. To clarify though we're not saying that you are not a dedicated lifter at all.

If you want to lift in a shirt, if you want to use a single ply shirt, a Fury or Rage X would fit nicely, depending on your benching form

If double ply, I learned very well in a double denim and was able to get quite a bit out of it. I'll be moving on to a Rage X in the near future

I think I'm going to train in my Blast for 6 weeks or so and try to squeeze maybe something out of it. if anything, it will help me get used to training in a shirt again.

Then I think I'm going to buy the Inzer Standard Double Ply Denim (open back, velcro). I figured I could work up to some massive weight in it, and it won't be as much of a pain. Are there any videos that show the different grooves each shirt has? I tend to keep my elbows fairly flared out, big arch, and fairly vertical line.

try and work on getting your elbows more tucked as you bench. A good choice on the DD but you'll transition much easier into the shirt if you tuck your elbows when training raw or even in your blast. Bar placement will be significantly lower than you are used to also

what has been your experience with shirts in the past?

High school, second term senior year. I was stuck at 315 raw and then started training in a shirt with a 3 board and 4 board to work on my lockout. I was able to get up to 365 in the shirt. Then college came around and I stopped lifting and caring.. so yea. Now I'm back to 270ish raw.

I would get the Inzer Rage X and call Murph at TPS and try to at least get down there for a bench session if you can. You'll learn a ton.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

double ply shirts are great and much easier to get on compared to closed back single plys, but if you've never used one I really recommend that you train at least a few times with someone who has. Getting the shirt set right goes a little farther than just getting your arms in the shirt, its where the collar sits on your chest, what position your palms are when you slide your arms in, whether the shirt is taught on your belly or if you leave it a little bunched up, rolling the sleeves, I mean the list does go on. If you have the opportunity to train with some guys who know how to use these, you would want to at least when you get your double ply

drew - definitely will do. I think I'm going to order the double ply and when it gets here call Murph and arrange a time to do some good training with him at TPS...

Trust me, I would LOVE to go work with the TPS guys, but given that I am a second semester senior with a thesis and high level coursework, I have to give school the time it deserves. That means I have 2 hours a day for the gym.

I think I can gain more from trying to get advice from guys like you online and try to incorporate it in my training here on campus. I agree that going to TPS would be WAY better, but that would only give me 20 minutes to actually spend there, in which I don't think I could accomplish much.

I have all the equipment I could ever want, and have been an avid powerlifting fan / been in a few meets for years. So I am begging you for advice, videos, etc, basically as a virtual training of what I would see at TPS. I will try to make some weekend trips out there to train with those guys, but due to my time constraints I need to train locally for my regular schedule. I want to make the most of my workouts locally. I don't think just because I can't train with the best of the best, means I shouldn't be powerlifting at all. You'd agree, wouldn't you?

I am very disciplined and I have a good amount of lifting experience. I am asking you guys for training techniques. Sure, I'll go over to TPS to learn the perfect fit for the double-ply when I get it, but I want to know what I can do now with my Inzer Blast to train help me get stronger. I don't think my muscles know any difference between the same movement done at TPS or at my campus gym. I have great lifting partners that are about the same strength as me and can be very motivating. I understand powerlifting training and techniques from 1) experience and 2) doing it with huge and much stronger guys in high school - at a real gym (Not campus bs).

So, Rhodes, if I came to visit you and brought my Inzer Blast shirt, what type of workout would you get me on? 5x5? Also, do you agree that the open back double ply is a good competition shirt (don't worry I will go to TPS to learn the proper fit)? I've given you my strength numbers, my bodyweight, and my shirt size. Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

You're not getting it. You don't have to train exclusively at TPS but you need to go. There's no way to tell you what you need to do in the shirt because we don't know your weak points. We don't know how your form is. There's too many things we can't determine from here.

You can't spare once a week or every other week to drive to TPS? If that's the case then why not just wait until the semester is over. Give up lifting until it's done and concentrate on your studies.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

1) Above, I said: "I will try to make some weekend trips out there to train with those guys"
    and...
    "I'll go over to TPS to learn the perfect fit for the double-ply when I get it".

I will definitely go to TPS. I just can't go all the time.

2) Would it help if I uploaded a video of my form?

3) My weak point is about 4-5 inches off the chest. My triceps are by far the weakest part of my bench IMO.

I read what you wrote but what I'm hearing is you making excuses. You want to get better now, we can only do so much. Sure we can give you some cookie cutter routine that may or may not do jack shirt for you. Would that make you happy? Or... would you rather do things the right way to begin with?

Whatever you think is your weak point will change when you put the shirt on and start using it. We can help more with videos, yes, but you're just not going to get the help you want on line. You want to get stronger, lift with guys that are better than you.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.