Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixed grip deadlifts feel awkward

Mixed grip deadlifts feel awkward

Yesterday was the first time I tried mixed grip deadlifts. I tried them for my last set, which was also my heaviest set. It was the first time I ever did 295 x 5 (not much I know). I did 285 x 5 last week with a both hands overhand grip, and I felt my grip starting to slip. That's why I decided to switch to mixed grip yesterday. I felt harderto do them with mixed grip. Does anyone else think that mixed grip deads feel awkward? Also, I used my right hand (dominant hand), as the hand that had the palm rotated away from me.

Rotate whichever hand feels more natural. It'll take a couple sessions, but you'll get used to it.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Banned
    when I switched over it felt as if my torso was rotating slightly during the lift. It only took about 2 sessions to get over it.
    Keep the mixed grip or give a hook grip a try if you have the hands for it.

You'll get used to it after a few times. Keep the mixed grip because you will need it as you get to really heavy weights.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Alright, I'll stick with it until I get used to it. I wasn't sure if other people had the same problem when they started using mixed grip. Thanks.

you'll get used to mixed grip with time, it's the easiest way to pull big numbers....unless you're a freak like Brad Gillingham. 859 double overhand in single ply gear.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

For some reason, I thought that using mixed grip was going to make it considerably easier, but I still struggled to get 295 x 5 yesterday. Maybe once I get used to the grip, it will allow me to work with heavier weights a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    you'll get used to mixed grip with time, it's the easiest way to pull big numbers....unless you're a freak like Brad Gillingham. 859 double overhand in single ply gear.
    That'd be a hook grip I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    For some reason, I thought that using mixed grip was going to make it considerably easier, but I still struggled to get 295 x 5 yesterday. Maybe once I get used to the grip, it will allow me to work with heavier weights a bit easier.
    The mixed grip will make your grip a lot stronger but it changes the mechanics of your lift a bit. You'll get used to it in no time.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Generally if you're right handed, you'll use a left hand under grip. Most often, the under grip is the stronger grip so you'll use that for your weaker hand and use the weaker grip for your stronger hand. If that makes any sense.

I use a left hand over/hook grip and a right hand under grip. This way my left hand(my weaker one) gets the stronger grip (hook grip) and my stronger hand will get the weaker of the grips I'm using. Plus this way only one thumb hurts and not both.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Ya I was using a right under, left over. I'm right handed. That way felt more natural then the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    That'd be a hook grip I'm sure.

The mixed grip will make your grip a lot stronger but it changes the mechanics of your lift a bit. You'll get used to it in no time.
    check it out:

23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    check it out:

You can see on his right hand that the index and middle fingers are further from the bar than his other fingers.. So either he has some thick ass fingers or he's using a hook grip.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Agreed. That's a hook grip.
    What is elite?

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    Generally if you're right handed, you'll use a left hand under grip. Most often, the under grip is the stronger grip so you'll use that for your weaker hand and use the weaker grip for your stronger hand. If that makes any sense.

I use a left hand over/hook grip and a right hand under grip. This way my left hand(my weaker one) gets the stronger grip (hook grip) and my stronger hand will get the weaker of the grips I'm using. Plus this way only one thumb hurts and not both.
    Never really thought about that but it makes sense... which makes me wonder why I'm the opposite?

I'm a lefty and I know my left has a stronger grip yet it feels much more natural and comfortable to pull with left under and right over...

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Never really thought about that but it makes sense... which makes me wonder why I'm the opposite?

I'm a lefty and I know my left has a stronger grip yet it feels much more natural and comfortable to pull with left under and right over...
    I'm the same as well...lefty with left undergrip. I switch it every set but right undergrip just feels awkward.

Honestly, I'm the say way, well, opposite, but same. I'm right handed and was using a right under, left over. That's why I found it good to switch to the hook grip with my over hand, it would give my weaker hand (supposedely) the stronger grip.
    What is elite?

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    Honestly, I'm the say way, well, opposite, but same. I'm right handed and was using a right under, left over. That's why I found it good to switch to the hook grip with my over hand, it would give my weaker hand (supposedely) the stronger grip.
    I've never tried using a hook grip but may consider it. I do, however, switch hands from which one's under and over between every set. It just feels much more comfortable to pull with my left under and I'm a lefty.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

I've never tried using a hook grip but may consider it. I do, however, switch hands from which one's under and over between every set. It just feels much more comfortable to pull with my left under and I'm a lefty.
    IMO, the only reason to use a hook grip is if you're an oly lifter. Hook grip will tear your thumbs up and for most people it will be weaker than a mixed grip.

The advocates for a mixed grip are generally people who claim that pulling double over hand eliminates the little twist you end up doing with a mixed grip. Supposedly this will add a couple of pounds to your pull. Is it significant? Not if you can't hold on to the bar with a hook grip.

In conclusion, unless your name is Fuzzy or you aspire to be him: Don't use a hook grip.
    Full Powerlifting

IMO, the only reason to use a hook grip is if you're an oly lifter. Hook grip will tear your thumbs up and for most people it will be weaker than a mixed grip.

The advocates for a mixed grip are generally people who claim that pulling double over hand eliminates the little twist you end up doing with a mixed grip. Supposedly this will add a couple of pounds to your pull. Is it significant? Not if you can't hold on to the bar with a hook grip.

In conclusion, unless your name is Fuzzy or you aspire to be him: Don't use a hook grip.
    I appreciate the detailed explanation.

Banned

Dont worry, Im a righty and I pull left under and right over So in the great cosmic equation of handidness we cancel each other out.

BAPC - League City, TX UHCougar05's Avatar
    You can see on his right hand that the index and middle fingers are further from the bar than his other fingers.. So either he has some thick ass fingers or he's using a hook grip.
    He uses a hook grip. Brad Gillingham doesn't have hands, he has paws.
    Chris Hartschuh

My Team's Youtube Videos

http://www.thewarehousegym.net/

Meet PRs: 745/465/570 APF Class I @275
    Gym PRs: 705/475/555

I thought the hook grip was supposed to be the strongest way to grip the bar. It does rough your thumbs up though, I've been trying it a bit lately and small calluses are starting to form. Deeder, do you mean they tear up the skin? Or will they eventually start messing with the ligaments in your thumbs.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    I thought the hook grip was supposed to be the strongest way to grip the bar. It does rough your thumbs up though, I've been trying it a bit lately and small calluses are starting to form. Deeder, do you mean they tear up the skin? Or will they eventually start messing with the ligaments in your thumbs.
    I've seen people bleed as their thumb nails almost gets ripped out!

If you can do it and can deal with the pain, then yes, hook grip is a pretty good option. But I've seen quite a few easy deadlifts missed because the hook grip slipped.
    Full Powerlifting

I've seen lots of cats in the gym with uneven traps from never alternating which hand was palm-up when using a mixed grip. But maybe you care nothing for asthetics..

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I've seen lots of cats in the gym with uneven traps from never alternating which hand was palm-up when using a mixed grip. But maybe you care nothing for asthetics..
    Really? You've seen noticeably uneven traps?