Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Journal

Training Journal

I know, catchy title. Goals have changed recently. No longer looking solely for strength, I need to improve my over all conditioning. I am now following the CrossFit WOD's, modified as needed. My strength right now sucks, but I haven't been consistent in several months. My cardio is non existent, so the WOD's have been fun. On to the workout.

Weight 218

500m row- 1:55 (started strong and was looking at 1:40, but I'm fat)

CrossFit warm up (will be done each workout and can be found on their site if you're curious, I don't remember all of it right now).

Push Jerk (BTN)
    3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

135, 155, 165, 175, 185, 205, 225

Not great, but it's a start. The 225 was a little rough and I didn't drop enough after the initial press. I haven't really done these since college, so I'm OK with the weight. Tomorrow is a rest day, but I will get some work in.

Good luck, bro. CF WODs leave all but few curled up in a ball, crying in the corner of the shower. You'll get in shape fast and don't kill yourself on the snatches and jerks...lol that sounds horrible...
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Morning: 2 hours of full court basketball. Conditioning is much better and my game is starting to come back. Only one sub, so I only sat one game. Had one nice move, but I can't do the things I could when I was in college.

Practice: 20 minutes of jump rope, working on double unders. Can't do any yet.

Tonights workout
    20 walking lunge steps
    15 pull-ups
    35 box jumps 12 inch box
    20 bar dips
    15 knees to elbows
    20 DB swings 40 lbs
    20 sit-ups
    15 hang squat cleans 20 lb DB
    20 back extensions
    20 thrusters, 92 lbs

Time: 8:07

This was a modification from yesterdays WOD. This was tough, but not overly so. I can't go higher on the jumps because I train in my basement. If this wasn't for time, I could have done them in my garage. I had to drop some things from the original WOD, but I'm not concerned about that at this point, just want to get the work in and improve, looking to complete the full WOD's in seven months.

Hey bro, cool to see you following the WODs. Nice weights on the push jerks

Good stuff in here Mike, gradually taking it to the next level...conditioning will be great.

Yesterday- another two hours of basketball. Knees were a mess after, so I am going to deadlift today instead of having an off day.

Kiaran, thanks man. I'm definitely a in the corner crying guy. Actually, I'm on the floor crying usually.

Justin, the WOD's are brutal, but definitely worth it for me at this point. Hopefully in several months I can get closer to some of your times.

Cocoa, that's the plan, thanks as always.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    Hey man, hope crossfit goes good for you. I have been thinking of doing one crossfit day a week. I have got terrible conditioning right now.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Warm-up
    2 rounds of
    100 m row
    5 dead hand pull-ups
    5 12 inch box jumps
    10 push-ups
    10 back ext
    10 crunches
    10 overhead squats (bar only)

Deadlift 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

135, 225, 245, 275, 315, 335, 385

Nothing great, but 20 pounds heavier than three weeks ago. Knees are really beat up from basketball this weekend. Second time pulling conventional in quite some time, so I'm happy with the weight, but not overly so.

North, adding a metcon once a week should help some. I already notice a difference when I play basketball and I've only been doing the WOD's for a few weeks.

Numbers on the deads ain't bad at all...you like this crossfit *****.

The last week sucked. I thought I was coming down with the flu, so I took a few days off, then I got even sicker, took some more days off. Played basketball on Sunday and felt OK. Was going to lift, but decided to just get back on track and take the next two days off from lifting and get on schedule with the WOD's. I did manage to play some basketball on Sunday, Monday and this morning. All but today was a mistake and probably didn't help me feel any better. I lost three pounds over the week and right now I'm at 213.8.

Warm up (two rounds)
    100m row
    5 strict pull ups
    5 strict hand stand presses
    10 spread eagle sit ups
    10 back extensions
    10 overhead squats with a twenty pound bar
    stretch

WOD
    Hang squat clean
    135, 135, 135, 145, 145 done

So I suck at these. The clean is easy, my form sucks on the squat part. I have never squatted very deep on the catch and today I focused on going into a deep squat. The week off killed me and just holding the weight was heavy. After the second 145, I shut it down for the day. Not happy with this one, not even close. Tomorrow will be better.

Coke- I do like the workouts. Some of the them a lot more than others, but it's really what I need at this point.

We all have a setback of some kind here or there...no big deal though as long as you're keeping on track.

Scaled WOD
    75 pound sumo deadlift high pull
    10 bar dips
    5 rounds
    Time: 4:50

Happy with the time and this was harder than I thought it would be. I was sicker than I thought, had a viral infection and am still getting over it, but I haven't worked out in a long time.

Coke- thanks for the support bro.

I've been debating changing my training slightly and going Rippetoe 3x5 day 1, day 2 and 3 WOD's, off, repeat. I have decided to wait on that and really give CrossFit an honest effort for the next several months. I haven't been nearly consistent enough and what little I have done has led to improvements.

Quick warm up

WOD
    Squat

135, 225, 225, 275, 315

Went deep on these, instead of heavy.

Oh boy, sumo-d-high-pulls. I'll take those any day over thrusters though. Nice time on the WOD, dude. Squat is solid too. Have you done Murph yet for the WOD? That one is just ****ing brutal.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Those are really solid numbers on squat, especially if you're going real deep. Nice work bro

Good job with the squats man.

Been awhile since I have done anything. Was sick for a couple of weeks, then I f'ed up my back bad enough that I couldn't walk without holding onto something. Oh well, back at it now.

WOD (this was yesterday's workout, but I decided to just be a day behind for now)
    Snatch

95, 95, 135, 135, 155, 135, 135

From now I will go straight weight on the olympic lifts. My form is horrible and I still end up just throwing the weight over my head. Decided to stay at 135 and work form last rep was the best technique wise. I'm OK with these sucking, I've done them twice now.

Kiaran- I agree, thrusters are awful
    Justin- Squats are very weak, but they'll get back with some effort, thanks.
    Coke- Thanks bro. Like I said, my squats are pathetic right now, but that's to be expected at this point.

I'm still debating about following an Anthony approach. I'm very weak right now and I want to get that strength back, but I also want to see what happens just doing the WOD's, so for atleast the time being I will stick with the WOD's.

Will be back in stride before you know it...whatever you do should work out fine big Mike.

WOD (modified)
    As many rounds in 15 minutes of
    Row 400 meters
    Pull up till failure

4 complete rounds
    3, 4, 4, 4 for pull ups

The row times were all in the 1:40 - 1:49 range. No endurance today and pull ups were pathetic. The few weeks off have taken a big toll at this point, but I expected that. This is the week that marks getting back on point with working out and eating better.

Coke- I hope so man, just gonna have some faith in CrossFit and give it everything I've got.

"Fight Gone Bad!"

Three rounds of:
    Wall-ball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
    Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps)
    Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)
    Push-press, 75 pounds (Reps)
    Row (Calories)

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute.The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of "rotate", the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.

Above taken from the CrossFit main site (that's what I'll be doing from now on instead of writing it out)

Total score: 182

Breakdown
    Box Jumps - 17, 13, 13
    Wall Shots - 12, 13, 12
    DLHP - 10, 10, 11
    Push Press - 9, 15, 15
    Row - 12, 10, 10

One modification for the workout - 24" box instead of 20" box, so it was more work that what was called for. I only have a 24" stump that I use as a box, it weighs about 200 pounds, so I know it won't tip over.

Had to run slowly walk from my garage to my basement after the first two exercises. Basement ceiling isn't high enough to do jumps or wall shots. The walk took about 10-15 seconds each time, because it is down hill and still icey. I would love to say this hurt my scores, but it probably didn't hurt much since I was so winded I didn't move straight through the exercises. 220 goal for next time.

Really happy with this workout despite a fairly low score.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    Really happy with this workout despite a fairly low score.
    As well you should be pleased with all that killer stuff you're doing.

Yesterday workout - basketball for two hours. Decided to play basketball instead of rowing for the WOD.

WOD
    For time:
    15 Handstand push-ups
    1 L Pull-up
    13 Handstand push-ups
    3 L Pull-ups
    11 Handstand push-ups
    5 L Pull-ups
    9 Handstand push-ups
    7 L Pull-ups
    7 Handstand push-ups
    9 L Pull-ups
    5 Handstand push-ups
    11 L Pull-ups
    3 Handstand push-ups
    13 L Pull-ups
    1 Handstand push-up
    15 L Pull-ups

Substitutions - tuck pull ups, then jumping tucks, then just jumping pull ups.
    Time - 27:47

This was very hard. The presses were decent, but full ROM was an issue on the higher rep sets. Had to take a few breaks on the 13, 11 and 9 rep sets, but overall happy with these. Pull ups were sad. First few sets were decent, good ROM, stayed tucked and chin way over bar. Around the 9 rep set started to do some jumping tucks, decided to go to singles and ditch the jumps. After that, it was a few singles each set and then some jumping tucks and then just jumps with a long negative. Pull ups are a huge weak spot for me and an area I need to improve.

Coke- things are only going to get better, thanks for the support bro.

Nice to see fight gone bad in there, bro. That workout is a killer. Keep up the hard work!

Justin - FGB was a killer. Moving straight through the exercises was brutal and all the little breaks I took just ruined my score. I probably lost close to a minute of work each round, just because I was spent. I am noticing a difference in my conditioning, but I have a long ways to go.

Nice job, taking the overall fitness & conditioning in the right direction - will be at the top of your game soon.
    Last edited by Coke; 03-22-2008 at 07:36 AM.