Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: RESULTS results thread

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    haha you're a tough guy to please HanB.
    Maybe I'm holidng it to too high of a standard, but for the price I think it should be held to a high standard.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Read through much (not all) of the comments. Did not see this.

How important is the timing?

One hour before workout? Two hours? Four hours? Ten minutes? Also, any benfit to half of dose before and half after?

I ask because I find that I feel bloated if I drink it right down.
    Tough to work out feeling that way.
    Last edited by rdkraus; 03-19-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdkraus View Post

One hour before workout? Two hours? Four hours? Ten minutes? Also, any benfit to half of dose before and half after?
    It has to be one hour and if not you will not get JACKED. NO sorry I am wrong it has to be exactly 59 minutes before the workout or it doesn't work

"The Bran Man"

I love that.

Is there a story there?

(Note how I have resisted the cheap shot).

Banned
    "The Bran Man"

I love that.

Is there a story there?

(Note how I have resisted the cheap shot).

Good sense of humor, love it

Ack!....Orange Blast tastes like ****. I like the cherry better....I'm not sure I can make it through 30 days of orange.

I didn't like it at first either to be honest. My first serving of it I thought it had a poor aftertaste. What I did the next couple of days was add more water, drink some and then add even more water. I've got it to a nice mild flavor now and I think the extra water helps - could be in my head though

I dunno......I'm still tasting it. The burps were making me nauseous and I couldn't finish my workout LOL
    I'll have to go back tonight and finish up. I think I'm going to have to pass on the orange.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SDS View Post
    Ack!....Orange Blast tastes like ****. I like the cherry better....I'm not sure I can make it through 30 days of orange.

Yeah the orange is horrible.. Cherry is good.

it's all subjective

I love the taste of the orange
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Eh, the only thing I've seen anyone post are some strength increases that are more than likely a result of taking 80g of dextrose pre-workout-not as a result of muscle gain because nobody has reported anything of that nature. My strength increases seemed to have tappered off, and were up and down throughout the month. I'd have a great workout, then be back down again on the next. This is what lead me to believe it was simply the dextrose that was causing it. I'm just curious as to why everyone wasn't using HMB already if the science is so solid (which it isn't) behind it? My theory is that if HMB caused increases in lean muscle, that would be supported in every single study done and it would be a staple for everyone, and that's far from the case.

Dextrose by itself isn't going to make anyone stronger... Please, at least make sensible statements.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    agreed - up until this launch it really seemed hmb was, by almost all accounts, regarded as a useless supplement that nobody purchased. Were there new studies? As has been mentioned, that seems to be the price driver in this product, given the poor track record of hmb I'm hoping there's newer studies.

Do your own study. Take the product and then get back with us. You will be glad you did.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Dextrose by itself isn't going to make anyone stronger... Please, at least make sensible statements.
    It certainly would.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-19-2008 at 09:34 PM.

I ask because I find that I feel bloated if I drink it right down.
    Tough to work out feeling that way.
    Not very important. I take mine in the morning with breakfast daily.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    It certainly would.
    Ok, so eating a Snickers will make me huge too?

Lol, you guys love to reach.

If one were carb depleted or in ketosis, sure, but that is not what I was referring to and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by getb1g View Post
    Yeah the orange is horrible.. Cherry is good.

Lol, I like the orange better, but the cherry is what I am currently using.

Ok, so eating a Snickers will make me huge too?

Lol, you guys love to reach.

If one were carb depleted or in ketosis, sure, but that is not what I was referring to and you know it.
    Hahn wasn't talking about being in ketosis either. Nor am I.

If one did not routinely ingest large amounts of glucose prior to training, and suddenly did so, they would make significant jumps in the gym.

I made no mention of getting bigger, only commented about getting stronger.

I do not feel it is reaching to point out that topping off liver glycogen and adding to muscle glycogen prior to training will play a major role in adding a few reps or a few pounds to the bar.

I am very certain there are more than a few studies that are used to show strength gains as a result of glucose/glucose polymer supplementation prior to training.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-19-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Personally my experience has been more than a few reps. Its been consistently larger PRs than normal.

I would think if it was as simple as sugar intake, alot more people would be downing lots more dextrose preworkout.

I would think if it was as simple as sugar intake, alot more people would be downing lots more dextrose preworkout.
    For clarification, I never once said it was as simple as that.

Additionally, many people use dextrose preworkout.

I simply said that it is flat out wrong to say dextrose by itself would not contribute to strength gains, carb depleted or not.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-19-2008 at 10:06 PM.

If one did not routinely ingest large amounts of glucose prior to training, and suddenly did so, they would make significant jumps in the gym.

I do not feel it is reaching to point out that topping off liver glycogen and adding to muscle glycogen prior to training will play a major role in adding a few reps or a few pounds to the bar.

I am very certain there are more than a few studies that are used to show strength gains as a result of glucose/glucose polymer supplementation prior to training.

You are DEAD wrong. If someone who consumed a normal diet suddenly started ingesting a bunch of sugar prior to training they would NOT see any kind of a jump in the gym.

I won't argue this point further as it is silly.

Personally my experience has been more than a few reps. Its been consistently larger PRs than normal.

Lol, please, eating a bunch of sugar prior to training for someone on a normal diet won't do ****!!!

Lol, maybe that is Donnie Thompson's secret...
    Last edited by chris mason; 03-19-2008 at 10:14 PM.

You are so stuck in studies as to miss the real world.

Do you know how many carbs are in the average diet? What makes you think that someone consuming a lot of carbs on a daily basis would need to top off their glycogen stores? Why do you think people are so fat? Hint, they eat a ton of carbs and their glycogen stores are maxed out.

Anyway, argue all you want. You are wrong.

You are DEAD wrong. If someone who consumed a normal diet suddenly started ingesting a bunch of sugar prior to training they would NOT see any kind of a jump in the gym.

I won't argue this point further as it is silly.
    I seriously cannot believe that you think that is the case.

I would not expect much of a difference if someone were constantly maintaining topped-off muscle glycogen stores, which would require the average person with a decent amount of muscle to ingest anywhere from 800-1000 grams of carbohydrate/day.

I am going to assume a carbohydrate amount less than that is a "normal diet," in which case I cannot possibly understand how you say glucose alone would not do anything.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-19-2008 at 10:48 PM.

You are so stuck in studies as to miss the real world.
    lol

I don't even read studies unless I am going to use them as assistance when discussing something. I just said I am certain there are plenty out there.

Knowledge of glucose pathways, glycogen synthesis, biosynthetic processes in the liver, the details of such, and its role in exercise performance is pretty standard for those who study nutrition.

I don't see how people getting fat from eating too many carbs has anything to do with the fact that ingesting carbohydrate by itself prior to training WILL make a difference.

That is a completely different topic.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-20-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Chris, just playing devil's advocate here, but if the 80g of dextrose aren't doing anything significant, why not leave it off? The product would surely be cheaper to ship without all that dead weight, no?

<muses>

If I knocked back 80g of dextrose before a workout I'd be ill. OMG!