The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    One of the very interesting things about HMB is that it seems to work better in a caloric deficit.
    How?

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    So I what I'm testing is if I have a huge deficit like this, and I have adequate protein intake (fish, chicken, nitrean), vitamins (multiplus), and RESULTS (beta alanine is a precursor switch for telling the body to build fast twitch), will I have a sweet love of a cut in which I lose fat and gain muscle or will the huge loss in calories still be king?
    Unless you are going to implement some pretty massive refeeds, I would not expect any GAIN in lean body mass while cutting calories that damn low for a considerable amount of time.

Unless you intend on running a pretty sweet cycle, and even then, you're going to need some calories for growth.

Travis, mark my words, he will NOT lose LBM. One of the very interesting things about HMB is that it seems to work better in a caloric deficit. When I did my cut I was on a VERY low calorie diet as well and I did not lose LBM.
    Wow! Thats pretty cool!

In that case I retract my previous statement! Full speed ahead!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

If HMB preserves muscle mass so efficiently, I am curious why pro bodybuilders go to all the trouble of heavy steroid cycles consisting of multiple drugs for precontest, and still end up losing lean body mass during the process.

I just started taking RESULTS again after a 6 week UD2 stint. My favorite part is how about 45 min after taking it I get tingly and it feels AWESOME to rub my eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    I just started taking RESULTS again after a 6 week UD2 stint. My favorite part is how about 45 min after taking it I get tingly and it feels AWESOME to rub my eyebrows.
    From the beta alanine, right?

The product I am taking right now (Ether) has beta alanine in it and I get that tingly, warm feeling after only a few seconds of taking it.

^^ yes from the beta....or at least that's what I think its from......

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    How?
    I would also like to know.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Travis, mark my words, he will NOT lose LBM. One of the very interesting things about HMB is that it seems to work better in a caloric deficit. When I did my cut I was on a VERY low calorie diet as well and I did not lose LBM.
    Wow Chris, thats a pretty bold statement.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Wow Chris, thats a pretty bold statement.

Lol, only if it were untrue. There is a reason two of the strongest men on the planet request the product and the guys at Westside now request it as a part of their monthly allotment. It works, and it works VERY well. I am the biggest and strongest I have ever been right now and I am using it daily.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Lol, only if it were untrue. There is a reason two of the strongest men on the planet request the product and the guys at Westside now request it as a part of their monthly allotment. It works, and it works VERY well. I am the biggest and strongest I have ever been right now and I am using it daily.
    How does HMB work better in a caloric deficit, and how does it preserve lean body mass despite cutting calories in half?

try the gatorade!

I'm loving RESULTS. I am still getting stronger and bigger.

I tried it mixed with fruit punch gatorade like Travis said, and it tastes great that way, not that in water was bad.

So 2 weeks ago I decided to stop taking RESULTS...and 1 week ago my lifts went back down (calories were still EXACTLY the same as they had been...the ONLY difference was removing RESULTS)

Needless to say I'm back on it again and don't plan on training without it...another guy at my gym had a similar experience
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I tested Results for a month and I brought all my lifts back up to levels they had not been at for around 10 years or so. My training level was the same basically this entire 10 years period as far as effort wise. 1 month of the Results was highly impressive to me and if I had the extra money I would most definately be using it. I have bought some plain old creatine(Nowfoods) that everyone claims would give the same results as Results, not so thus far. When I started the Results I have to say I felt it almost immediately. Personally, I think its a top notch product.

Ive got another tub on the way (ordered it tonight along with some more Nitrean). I couldnt say what the first tub did for me performance wise. I didnt have enough constant variables to judge well, but I will say that at the time my lifts went up and I seemed to get more out of my time at the gym than usual. Kind of like having a great meal a few hours before hitting the weights. I will say that I wish there were a Protein that tasted that good!

Ive been on a constant cut for a couple of months now (lost 20lbs....weights and a half hour of cardio every day) and my lifts as well as weight loss have become fairly stagnant (that last 10 pounds of course...go figure). Between the Nitor, Results, and Nitrean Ill report back how results fits into the mix.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    So 2 weeks ago I decided to stop taking RESULTS...and 1 week ago my lifts went back down (calories were still EXACTLY the same as they had been...the ONLY difference was removing RESULTS)

Needless to say I'm back on it again and don't plan on training without it...another guy at my gym had a similar experience
    For some reason I thought Chris talked about Results being cycled, as like many other supps our bodies develope a tolerence over time. I find it very strange that your lifts have gone back down after stopping use.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    For some reason I thought Chris talked about Results being cycled, as like many other supps our bodies develope a tolerence over time. I find it very strange that your lifts have gone back down after stopping use.

I don't, although I would not expect them to return to baseline, I would expect a drop.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roark View Post
    I tested Results for a month and I brought all my lifts back up to levels they had not been at for around 10 years or so. My training level was the same basically this entire 10 years period as far as effort wise. 1 month of the Results was highly impressive to me and if I had the extra money I would most definately be using it. I have bought some plain old creatine(Nowfoods) that everyone claims would give the same results as Results, not so thus far. When I started the Results I have to say I felt it almost immediately. Personally, I think its a top notch product.
    Thanks for your thoughts Jeff! I am glad you are posting on Wbb.

Chris

Thanks for your thoughts Jeff! I am glad you are posting on Wbb.

Chris

Chris,
    Thanks for the welcome back! I used to post here awhile back and I got a new computer and lost all my favorites. I was just lost for awhile. Compliments to you for sure as you have piled some of the best lifters in the world right here at WBB. To much experience to be wasted if one don't get into the mix and ask their questions.

As for the Results, I loved it. If I had the funds to get it I would be on it right now. I'll definately be using it the last month or so before I compete as I will be trying to trim the flab away. I have to say also that I didn't even use it by the directions you gave me Chris. I only used it on training days to try and stretch the sample batch you gave me out to the max. I simply used 2 scoops before training. One thing that I do want to note that I think I felt made a difference in it is that I added 1/2 teaspoon of Celtic Sea Salt to each serving. Something to this for me as my strength, size, pumps and everything was pretty impressive with it. I wish I had a few tubs of it right now!

Got my tub of Results in last night.

The orange flavor is pretty good, mixes well, and goes down easy enough. It didn't hurt my stomach, or give me any bloat or anything. So far so good...

Thought some of you might find this log from another site interesting:

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/su...nutrition.html

Lol, back this up.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Lol, back this up.

I am not sure as to your tone?

Anyway, here you go:

First, I am relaying my personal experience. My pics back it up in that respect.

Next, here is some information from a paper I referenced:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2245953

"There is compelling evidence that HMB supplementation may be useful for clinical muscle wasting conditions including AIDS, cancer, bed-rest, and during periods of caloric deficits. HMB also appears to be safe, and may improve various markers of health, including blood pressure and LDL-cholesterol. When supplementing with HMB, current evidence suggests that 1 g of HMB should be consumed 3 times per day, for a total of 3 g of HMB daily (or 38 mg/kg of bodyweight). However, more studies are needed to determine the optimal dosage and frequency of HMB supplementation, and the overall efficacy of HMB supplementation as an ergogenic aid for athletes.

The second purpose of this paper was to provide an in depth analysis of possible mechanisms that HMB may exert its effects. Results from this review showed that HMB appears to primarily exert its effects through protective and anticatabolic mechanism. The prevailing explanation is the cholesterol synthesis hypothesis. However, recent studies have shown that HMB's anticatabolic effects are at least in part mediated by attenuation of the activation and increased gene expression of the ubiquitin-pathway. Furthermore, there is evidence that HMB may directly increase protein synthesis."

Just placed my first-ever order for Results. I'll be checking in with my feedback down the road....
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

rebuilding the foundations Herandi's Avatar
    Got my order of results its on the way. I am gonna do a small cut followed by a big bulk.
    Chris, I'd love to use results for the cut if it's as good at preserving LBM as you suggest, but i'd be scared to cut calories as low as you did under ANY circumstane. Did you have any other information as to how it can preserve LBM under such a steep caloric deficit?

Thanks
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."