The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I dont know if this has been mentioned anywhere yet, but I was just wondering if this was supposed to be cycled or anything? I just ordered it so I cant wait for it to get here, but I was just curious on wether or not to cycle it...

Quote Originally Posted by minime_moomey View Post
    I dont know if this has been mentioned anywhere yet, but I was just wondering if this was supposed to be cycled or anything? I just ordered it so I cant wait for it to get here, but I was just curious on wether or not to cycle it...

All supplements which are direct ergogens should be cycled, so the answer is yes.

For now, I suggest 90 days on followed by 1 month or more off.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks Chris! The last time I was this excited about a supplement was when I first began lifting and was still doing a 2 and a half hour arm day, scared of squats, and didnt even know what a deadlift was. Then I found WBB and burned down the local GNC for ripping me off our of all that money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    All supplements which are direct ergogens should be cycled, so the answer is yes.

For now, I suggest 90 days on followed by 1 month or more off.

Chris
    Chris, do you cycle plain creatine monohydrate as well?

usually what I do (I know you didn't ask me) is do a loading phase every 6 - 8 weeks.

others will do on for 8 weeks, off for 3, load, then back to maintance for another 7 weks

Still some just to maintance phase every day for quite an extended amount of time

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    The overwhelming consensus on this board, which I agree with, is that there's no point to cycling creatine. Just take 5 grams a day.

Think of your body being a tub of water that you want to keep full. Without supplementation, water is pouring into the tub at a rate such that it's about half full before the drainage is equal to the water being poured in. Supplementation is merely turning up the water. If you overdo it, no big deal, as the water just goes over the edge. That was a crappy metaphor but I'm not deleting it.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

But regarding the other 2 ingredients (obviously you wouldnt cycle dextrose) you do still need to cycle those correct?

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    How come?
    A) The qualifier in my statement really limits the pool.
    B) Because the body becomes inured to the benefits over time for varying reasons.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Chris, do you cycle plain creatine monohydrate as well?

I should, but I don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Steady View Post
    Had you been making gains prior to hitting 70x10, or were you 'stuck' (good place to be stuck!) on 65x8 or so for awhile?

I'm really close to making a move on this stuff. Any word on the orange flavor? Cherry is one of my least favorite flavors, but if it's going to be a long time before the orange I may think about it.
    We expect Orange in this week!
    Last edited by Joe Black; 02-25-2008 at 12:17 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    A) The qualifier in my statement really limits the pool.
    B) Because the body becomes inured to the benefits over time for varying reasons.
    Direct, okay, I get that. Not a lot of substances do this - basically we're talking creatine, your most recent supp, and gear.

What I'm interested in reading is research supporting your assertion that the non-gear variety should be cycled. For example, I have long been under the impression that creatine need not be cycled. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you feel it should, particularly since your company sells it.

Taste

Tried a couple of things this weekend that worked.

1. Mixed my Results in with my vanilla Maximus - fine.

2. Mixed my Results with OJ - also fine.

Much better.

Taste should not matter, but I know from experience, with me, if the taste is awful, I just won't use it. Seems dumb, but I know it's true for me.

I too am interested in others "results" AFTER two or more months of use.

Does it really matter that much if I take results in the morning before work on non-training days as opposed to after work? I ask because results doesn't sit well for me that early.

Non lifting days - I take at 8am
    Lifting days - 6pm

thanks

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Ive got the same ? as Cirino. Chris, is there any reason we shouldnt drink this stuff in the afternoon? After oatmeal and opticen in a 30 minute period in the morning I really would rather avoid results b/c of the flavor and the tingling i get. Also not to mention having to take a leak every 15 minuts for the next 2 hours.

edit: this is on non-training days of course.
    Last edited by Indifference; 02-25-2008 at 08:24 AM.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    Ive got the same ? as Cirino. Chris, is there any reason we shouldnt drink this stuff in the afternoon? After oatmeal and opticen in a 30 minute period in the morning I really would rather avoid results b/c of the flavor and the tingling i get. Also not to mention having to take a leak every 15 minuts for the next 2 hours.

edit: this is on non-training days of course.
    No problem at all.

Chris

Direct, okay, I get that. Not a lot of substances do this - basically we're talking creatine, your most recent supp, and gear.

What I'm interested in reading is research supporting your assertion that the non-gear variety should be cycled. For example, I have long been under the impression that creatine need not be cycled. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you feel it should, particularly since your company sells it.
    Built,
    I think this would fall under the research category of "common sense". IMnevertobeHO, common sense dictates that a varied diet is healthier and that includes both foods and supplements. I realize that most would think I'm extreme, but I don't think that daily ingestion of 1000%+ of established RDAs is probably necessary or even desirable. JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Built, I don't have any specific research to reference at this time. That said, it is generally accepted and known that the body becomes accustomed to nearly any exogenous substance over time (yes, there are exceptions). This acclimation makes cycling beneficial in most cases.

Built, you may be confusing the two different reasons for cycling. One reason (mostly for gear) is that your body becomes too dependant on it. You need to cycle off so that you can restart your bodys natural production of testosterone

The other reason to cycle (like for results, ETS and creatine) is that your body just becomes accostomed to it, like the product has the potential to lose its effect, not that your body needs it

again, where is the research behind that?

Your body produces its own creatine, or how else did you think you lifted period? Glycolosis is far to slow to get it all done for us, which is why Creatine is so valuable to athletes and lifters alike, for our explosive movements. Does supplimentation with Creatine lower our bodies production of it? Show me proof that it does not and I'll believe it. Until then, like any substance provided exogenously, which is already produced in the body, I'll continue to cycle it.
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

Orange Blast is out, baby! I just ordered 3 containers for my first cycle of it. After those 3 months I'll report back.
    6'1, 217 lbs

Holy damn...I'm jumping on this RIGHT NOW

just ordered 2 orange blasts, maximus, and nitrean
    Last edited by KingWilder; 02-25-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Hey I have a question does the dextrose give you a sort of caffeine like upper feeling not nearly as strong but similar. I only ask because lately I feel a lot more tired towards the end of the day then I'm used too. This used to happen to me when I would drink coffee which is the main reason I quit. Basically I want to know if dextrose gives you a high when you drink it but then you come down later on?

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Hey I have a question does the dextrose give you a sort of caffeine like upper feeling not nearly as strong but similar. I only ask because lately I feel a lot more tired towards the end of the day then I'm used too. This used to happen to me when I would drink coffee which is the main reason I quit. Basically I want to know if dextrose gives you a high when you drink it but then you come down later on?
    It's similar to any sugary based drink - yes, if you're not used to it you may 'come down' a bit later.
    6'1, 217 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    Holy damn...I'm jumping on this RIGHT NOW

just ordered 2 orange blasts, maximus, and nitrean
    Nicely done. I got another Maximus too - I love the addition of the Microlactin and Fiber. No other weight gainer has those.
    6'1, 217 lbs