The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

jmet's journal/progress

I have never worked out "for real" before besides bench press and curls a few years back.

I recently decided to start lifting again after 3 + years of doing nothing but sitting on the couch and to this time try and do it right.

The last few weeks I have started doing various exercises, following the wbb 1 routine.

I have slowly worked my way into getting used to the exercises and getting past the sorenes.

I am 24 around 5 foot 9 and weigh 190-200 depending on what I have eaten lately.

So far my max bench has been 210 pounds x2 which I am happy about for just starting.

My squats on the other hand suck as I have never done them and even since starting my whole warm up and get used to phase have only done them once.

I did a sickly 160 pounds x6....

Hopefully this journal will act as a way for me to keep track of what im doing and the progress that I make, feel free to add any advice that you have.

Tonight will be my first official workout so i will come in here and update accordingly.

As far as goals are concerened I would like to loose fat and gain muscle.

Im not looking to be super ripped but rather big and strong, as of right now I simply eat the basic 2-3 meals a day as im not bulking but wish to loose my gut.

My max bench has been 210 pounds, I would like to be doing 250 within 6 months or so and hopefully 300 within a year and a half.

Big goals but if I work hard good things will happen.

Feel free to chime in at anytime, I will update my journal after my workout tonight.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Well, welcome to the board and we will happy with you your workouts if you would like us too. We are here to support you but first we must and it is a must....

G'd Up!
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Let us see what your training split is. If you are at 5'9" and at your weight. your max bench should be at 250 by the end of January. Plus, if you really havent worked out "for real", then if you stay commited, you should hit 300 by the beginning of the summer on bench. Look at some other journals of people who seem pretty strong in your mind and see what reps and sets and how often they train and that sort and I am sure people will help you figure out what is best for you. Good Luck.... I'll be back!
    Last edited by The Calvinator; 12-10-2002 at 01:48 PM.
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by The Calvinator
    Let us see what your training split is. If you are at 5'9" and at your weight. your max bench should be at 250 by the end of January. Plus, if you really havent worked out "for real", then if you stay commited, you should hit 300 by the beginning of the summer on bench. Look at some other journals of people who seem pretty strong in your mind and see what reps and sets and how often they train and that sort and I am sure people will help you figure out what is best for you. Good Luck.... I'll be back!
    I will be doing exactly as the WBB routine 1 states with its 3 day split.

On the off days ill throw in some cardio etc.

I dont think ill hit 250 by the end of January simply because im not a natural 200 pounds, I have a large mid section that tacks on another 15-20 pounds I would think.

I have small arms for example so that weight is decieving.

I have worked out in the past but it has been at least 3 years and I dont really call doing JUST bench press and curls a "real" workout.

See thats one of the first things that ive learned from reading these forums the last year or so, now im motivated and ready to go to work..

Im about to start my first official workout tonight, I will update you guys when im done..

Thanks for the help and for caring.

Wannabebig Member
    Meals today....

Breakfast: I didnt eat breakfast today, a bad habbit that I need to break...

Lunch: Corn dog, baked beans, small pudding

Dinner: I worked out before dinner however I will be having Spaghetti tonight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The workout tonight:

Flat Barbell bench press: 160 pounds x6 for 2 sets

I went easy as this would be my fullest workout that I will have done thus far.

Low incline dumb bell press: 30 pounds x8 for 2 sets

Good thing that I went lite on the bench because by the time I was done with these I was tired.

This was the first time that I had done dumb bell presses before, I can tell right away that this exercise will be a key instrument in increasing bench strength...

Dips: This was omited due to me not having a dip device or whatever its officially called.

Chine ups: This was also omited due to not having a chinup bar.

Deadlifts I omited this item due to the fact that I was allready tired at this point, I do realise from reading these forums that this is a key exercise but I am inching into the full routine slowly.

Being that I am new to this and am tirring early in the routine I would rather omit certain exercises in order to keep correct form in the rest of the routine.

Barbell Rows I wasnt exactly sure of what this exersise was so I put 150 pounds on my wire/bar pull and sat back far on the bench to mimick a boat row.

I did 150 pounds x10 for 2 sets

Shrugs 30 pounds x15 1 set

I put 30 pounds on each of my dumbbells and shrugged with them.

Tonights workout wasnt too bad...

I felt weak today to start with, ill attribute that skipping breakfast as i generally do and having a small lunch.

I also generally eat dinner before lifting.

The items that were omited will soon be included as im building a chinup bar and dip station.

I also realised that since im no longer only currling and benching that I will need to buy some smaller weights for the dumbbels.

30 pounds for the shruggs and dumbbel presses arent enough...

I see where my weaknesses are such as lack of equipment and poor eating but if you have any other suggestions please chime in...

I forgot to mention that my new less then reliable spotter didnt show up, this is another reason I didnt want to push anything too much on my first night...
    Last edited by jmet; 12-10-2002 at 06:05 PM.

Wannabebigger Member seance69ca's Avatar
    on your new journal and way to go getting your **** together to start working out again.
    Hope your journal goes well.

BTW, I just started my journal, too.
    Circumcision builds character. If you can survive getting the end of your dick cut off, you can survive anything. -- Dan Savage

Stats
    Height: 5'7" l Weight: 170lbs l BF 12% l Shoulders: 50" l Chest: 42" l Biceps: 14.75" l Waist: 33" l Glutes: 39" l Thighs: 25 l Calves: 16.25"

Congrats on starting the journal. Hope everything continues to go well. The link below will give you illustrations on the various exercises, which might help reassure you about the way to perform different exercises.

www.exrx.net