The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

working out alone....single rep set question

I let my gym membership lapse long ago after the 2nd child came along. I bought a bench and some other stuff and put it in my basement.
    I slowly have been getting back up near my pre-marriage max of '03.

This is my situation, near the end of my bench workout (which I do the old school pyramid thing starting at 135) I start doing 1 rep sets of 205, 210 and then 225. When I get to 225, I'll just keep doing 1 rep sets until I think I'm not going to make it, burn out at 155 and then do some incline dumb bells.

Some days I'll do 3 single reps at 225, some days I'll do 7, anyone got any idea if doing these single reps should do anything for me? If I had a spotter, I would do things like I used to, but I really can't push to failure and then have to do the emergency unload the weights off the bar manuever every time.

I have no idea if this is normal, or just mental, but in the past when I get up to around 250, typically I can then start doing a 5 rep set of 225. If I keep pushing and get back into the 265-270 range, then I can really rip on 225.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    How difficult is each 1 rep sets of 225 for you? If its too easy I don't think it would be to your benefit to do this opposed to a weight that you can do 3-5 times with the last rep being as difficult as your 1 rep of 225.

I could be completely wrong, but I would think a 1 rep set is most effective if you are lifting your max or very close to it.

Also, with no spotter, I would avoid doing weight where there is a chance you will have to do some kind of emergency maneuver. Theres no sense in risking a severe injury.
    Last edited by evnp85; 02-08-2008 at 07:34 AM.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    I'd never do a 1 rep max without a spotter mainly because I might get stuck ... if I trained by myself id use some dumbbells instead (much safer)

However, I dunno how much benefit 1 rep sets with db's would be in comparison to using a barbell.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by evnp85 View Post
    How difficult is each 1 rep sets of 225 for you? If its too easy I don't think it would be to your benefit to do this opposed to a weight that you can do 3-5 times with the last rep being as difficult as your 1 rep of 225.

I could be completely wrong, but I would think a 1 rep set is most effective if you are lifting your max or very close to it.

Also, with no spotter, I would avoid doing weight where there is a chance you will have to do some kind of emergency maneuver. Theres no sense in risking a severe injury.
    The 1 rep is fine, I do the smaller amounts just to see how I'm feeling, if I'm really tired and struggle with 210 I don't bother with 225.

On some days I don't doubt that I could do 225 3 times, but with no spotter I'm hesitant to do it, and I'm hesitant to do even 2 reps for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by leetuck View Post
    I'd never do a 1 rep max without a spotter mainly because I might get stuck ... if I trained by myself id use some dumbbells instead (much safer)

However, I dunno how much benefit 1 rep sets with db's would be in comparison to using a barbell.
    I don't have big enough dumbbells to do that.

in the old days, I sometimes (stupidly) used to have girls spot me every once in a while thinking I would only need "a little" help....and looking up at breasts certainly doesn't hurt your testosterone level....anyway...sometimes you blow it and need "a lot" of help. In those cases you just lay the bar on your chest, let the weights slide off one side and ride the others over......I think everyone should know how to do this as a "just in case" type thing

Wannabebig Member
    While resting the weight on your chest and sliding it off would not be too difficult, the problem I have with no spotter is what if you drop the weight?

Granted, a spotter is not going to be able to prevent you from dropping the weight, but they can at least pull it off you if it does happen. If you drop your 1 rep max on your neck with no spotter you are in some big trouble...

Get some adjustable sawhorses and use them as safety stops. Here's my setup as used for squats (with more weight, of course). I use them on the other side with the bench flat for bench presses.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Like you said, somedays are better than others, just go by how you feel. You should be able to "know" how much you can go up, instead of doing the 1 rep sets of 225 7 times, if your feeling good, do a 3 rep set of 235, or a 2 rep set of 240. I pretty much do the same thing as you, workout alone in my basement. I can pretty much dial in my sets each workout and "know" what I can just barely get up each time.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin62 View Post
    Like you said, somedays are better than others, just go by how you feel. You should be able to "know" how much you can go up, instead of doing the 1 rep sets of 225 7 times, if your feeling good, do a 3 rep set of 235, or a 2 rep set of 240. I pretty much do the same thing as you, workout alone in my basement. I can pretty much dial in my sets each workout and "know" what I can just barely get up each time.
    I think you are misunderstanding something, I don't have a spotter, hence the 1 rep sets.
    I haven't tried 235 yet as I've just got back to 225 this past month.

I just want to know if the 1 rep sets actually are beneficial.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    Get some adjustable sawhorses and use them as safety stops. Here's my setup as used for squats (with more weight, of course). I use them on the other side with the bench flat for bench presses.
    Inventive set up.
    Now whats with all the blue tape on the bar?

Beneficial for what?

How many of them are you doing exactly? What's the routine you're following look like?

My initial impression is that you have no clue what you are doing.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Bench in a rack

If you do not have a rack, do not bench.

The answer to your question won't matter when you drop 225 on your face.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Or have to roll the weight off your chest........been there, done that, ONCE.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Beneficial for what?

How many of them are you doing exactly? What's the routine you're following look like?

My initial impression is that you have no clue what you are doing.
    Beneficial if I'm doing 2 or 7, with a 30sec-1 minute water break in between.

I do the old pyramid thing (that's what I learned it to be)

135 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 6
    205 x 4 (or sometimes just 1 depending on how tired I am)

210 x 1
    225 x 1 (but repeated 2 to 7 times)

155 x 20
    dumbbell incline 50lbs each 2 sets of 10 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Bench in a rack

If you do not have a rack, do not bench.

The answer to your question won't matter when you drop 225 on your face.

I wouldn't even bench "light" without my rack there. If for some reason I tear a pec or tricep or whatever, I really don't want to be "that guy" you read about who died in his garage alone because 200 lbs got stuck on my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by jay-dub View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding something, I don't have a spotter, hence the 1 rep sets.
    I haven't tried 235 yet as I've just got back to 225 this past month.

I just want to know if the 1 rep sets actually are beneficial.
    No, I think I understand what your saying, but what I'm saying is if you can do 225 for 7 single reps, then it seems like you could go up on your entire pyramid and end with a 2 set, instead of adding on all the singles. As far as it being beneficial, I'm sure it is more beneficial than stopping your workout and going to eat a cheeseburger. However it might be more beneficial to just stop benching after the 1 rep point, and move on to the next exercise and increase your dumbell weights.

Bike/Weight Lifting Junkie
    Whats with so much stinkin bench? Do you do anything else?
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 195
    Bench 240x8
    Squat 285x8

Quote Originally Posted by yamirider View Post
    Whats with so much stinkin bench? Do you do anything else?
    I don't know....that's how I've done it forever.

I haven't really changed my workouts since 98....

Since I workout at home now, the only new thing I've gotten into is all the different squat/leg exercises, but that is only since I've joined this forum

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    I could probaby rig up something like that, at least then I could just go to failure....

thanks not a bad idea

I don't really believe in 1rep max workouts, it all depends on what your future goals are. If you are working on being a powerlifter then maybe that is the way to go, but as far as bodybuilding you would never catch me doing that.

With no spotter I would not recommend doing that for safty reasons. Good luck