The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you get "pumped" before entering the gym

As a college student with morning classes i've noticed that i'm often tired during the day and find myself yawning while at the gym, which frustrates me.

I've taken the "stacked" energy drinks they provide there and they seem to help, but arent too cheap.

What are your ways of getting yourself in the mindset and bringing that energy level to the level it needs to be before walking into the gym doors. Music? Food?
    205lbs 2/15/09
    Cutting to 180.

Bench: 275x5
    Squat: 300
    Deads: 300
    height:5'9"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just get enraged at the 1/4 squats that will inevitably be being performed at your college's gym.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

2 year member at Golds Gym. Dover, DE
    205lbs 2/15/09
    Cutting to 180.

Bench: 275x5
    Squat: 300
    Deads: 300
    height:5'9"

A lot of people take caffeine pills. I used to, but stopped once I started getting headaches while lifting.

If I were you, I would try to work out at a time where you are less tired. I guess that's probably tough if you have classes though.

Also make sure you're getting enough food preworkout.
    Last edited by Notorious; 02-03-2008 at 12:37 PM.

As I get older, I find it more difficult to get raged. Going for a PR gets my adrenaline kicking and really loud, screaming music tends to fire me up. Lifting with a friend really helps too. The worst is lifting alone when you're tired on Squat or Deadlift day, bleh. If I feel really ****ty but know I need to get a workout in, I'll hit up the local 24hr Fitness and try to go heavy, which gets my adrenaline going due to the risk of looking like a tool if I fail with the weight lol.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Buy a Lamb of God CD. Ashes of the Wake.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Find a good training partner. It will make all the difference in the world.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I just think about hitting all my lifts and getting stronger. It's good motivation.

i always eat about 1 hour prior to workout...plus a caffeine pill about 30 minutes before...i also like to watch youtube videos of the lifts i'm gonna do for that day...so say i'm squatting, i would watch guys squat unreal amounts, which gets me pumped up

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    As a college student with morning classes i've noticed that i'm often tired during the day and find myself yawning while at the gym, which frustrates me.

I've taken the "stacked" energy drinks they provide there and they seem to help, but arent too cheap.

What are your ways of getting yourself in the mindset and bringing that energy level to the level it needs to be before walking into the gym doors. Music? Food?
    This is just my opinion, but you don't need to get psyched out of your mind everytime you walk into the gym. In fact, I think it can be counter-productive. Every session doesn't have to be a superhuman effort either.

"Recovery is not a drink. Recovery is sleep." - Dan John
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

If all you want is the effect of those drinks, you can buy a couple hundred caffeine pills for about $4.

Cocaine.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Cocaine.
    With ground up caffeine and ephedrine.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I agree with this guy !

mri black powder

I just cut all of my emotions out and think about going in to the gym, then leaving stronger than I was last week. That should give you enough motivation to pump you up.
    Last edited by MPB; 02-04-2008 at 03:35 PM.

I just look at my big gut and titties and that is usually enough motivation for me.

Especially lately, since I've changed jobs and hours. I've been working out here and there on day passes. When I move to my new house, I'm planning on joining the gym near my house.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Iron4Life
    As an old man... watching young guys in the gym yawn gets me pumped in the gym... lol...

If I need stimulation b/c I'm physically tired.. then just about any caffeine will give me that boost.. and reminds me that I need a little more sleep.. (agree with Sensei/Dan John on this one..)

However, for the first time ever I think... I disagree with Sensei on his other point... I DO feel I HAVE to be pysched each time I go into the gym... I get pysched by the thrill of competition:
    • competition with myself by setting PRs
    • competition with my different training partners - mostly younger guys who are also competitive
    • or in training for competitions - either PL, Strongman or Highlander games
    • or competing against old age and obesity - knowing that every workout is like busting the Reaper in the chops!!

Banned
    Nitor - seriously. If you need a boost, this stuff is the real deal.

Other than that, a clear plan and goal for each workout gets me moving and allows me to put forth the most effort.

BAPC - League City, TX UHCougar05's Avatar
    "Versus The World", "Thousand Years of Oppression", "Blood and Fire", "Valhall Awaits Me", and "Gods of War Arise" by Amon Amarth
    Chris Hartschuh

My Team's Youtube Videos

http://www.thewarehousegym.net/

Meet PRs: 745/465/570 APF Class I @275
    Gym PRs: 705/475/555

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    As an old man... watching young guys in the gym yawn gets me pumped in the gym... lol...

If I need stimulation b/c I'm physically tired.. then just about any caffeine will give me that boost.. and reminds me that I need a little more sleep.. (agree with Sensei/Dan John on this one..)

However, for the first time ever I think... I disagree with Sensei on his other point... I DO feel I HAVE to be pysched each time I go into the gym... I get pysched by the thrill of competition:
    • competition with myself by setting PRs
    • competition with my different training partners - mostly younger guys who are also competitive
    • or in training for competitions - either PL, Strongman or Highlander games
    • or competing against old age and obesity - knowing that every workout is like busting the Reaper in the chops!!
    I don't think we really disagree Bear. I have to psych myself up a little just to do many of my sessions - if I don't, I'd do something easier or just not even bother.
    The point I was trying to get across is that there's psyching for competition and then there's a training mindset. I think that you need to have both and you need to practice the competitive mindset - but that not every training session should be that way. Of course it depends on what you're doing, I think we'd both agree you need to get psyched up at least a little to do repeat sets of, for example, work at 90%+ intensity. On the other hand, we'd probably agree that there's not really much of a need to down extra coffee and bang your head against a wall before ab pulldowns or band pushdowns....

edit: ...and one last thing about yawning to the OP. That should not bother you. I've seen my share of elite comps and many athletes find themselves yawning (for whatever reason) - I don't think it necessarily means they aren't ready to perform at all.
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-04-2008 at 09:54 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

My motivation is watching youtube videos of bodybuilders like Coleman, J. Jackson, J. Cutler, and more. That get's me really psyched.
    Eat big, lift big, get BIG

5'10'' - 172lbs up from: 125lbs (at age 18) - 20 yr old | bulking [til 200+] | BF 11% ?

Banned
    Eca Stack And Eminem

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    not a bad choice! try something along the lines of pig destroyer, exhumed, impaled, ringworm, or BENEATH THE MASSACRE is my personal favorite.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Isn't yawning due to a slight lack of oxygen in the blood? Doesn't mean people are bored or not intense.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log