The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Anyone seen this squat video?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Very impressive.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

God, I wish I could do that.

omg!!!!!!!!

What? 5 reps and up?

That's cardio!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Pretty impressive squat, and not to be picky, but his knees came in on every rep.

Ain't even gonna knock that. Knees in or not, 315 for that many reps, even with the long pauses in between is just crazy ****ing impressive. Going to total failure too is certain pukie. Awesome video, man.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Strong dude!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Anyone with average strength should be able to do that. Good depth. Great background music. By Demons be Driven.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Look ma, I deadlifted. el_Mariachi's Avatar
    I'd have to say that's probably above-average strength and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Pretty impressive squat, and not to be picky, but his knees came in on every rep.
    I noticed that too, but he's still strong as hell.

great strength for his size
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Tom Platz squatting 500 pounds for over 20 reps, now that is great strength. everyone on this board who puts in a sufficient amount of work into lifting should be able to do this at some time. It is impressive, for the average gym goer. Example, yesterday I racked pulled 525 pounds for 9 reps. I think that is not that big of a deal, but had most of the gym watching me. But if you compare it to people with elite strength, it is really just light weight. Same with this, it is impressive to the soccer moms, but to us, it should not be a big deal. Not knocking the guy, he does a great job, but everyone here should be working to do this, or should be able to do it already.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Here is something to motivate everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az49UMdY1h0

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Tom Platz squatting 500 pounds for over 20 reps, now that is great strength. everyone on this board who puts in a sufficient amount of work into lifting should be able to do this at some time. It is impressive, for the average gym goer. Example, yesterday I racked pulled 525 pounds for 9 reps. I think that is not that big of a deal, but had most of the gym watching me. But if you compare it to people with elite strength, it is really just light weight. Same with this, it is impressive to the soccer moms, but to us, it should not be a big deal. Not knocking the guy, he does a great job, but everyone here should be working to do this, or should be able to do it already.
    Joey,
    Most of the forum members will never squat 500 once, let alone for reps anywhere close to parallel anytime soon... I understand your point about the posted video, but it is motivating for precisely the reason that you are criticizing it - it is a weight and an effort that it is the realm of achievable for the average joe.

For what the video is, it is very impressive. The guy weighs 170. My guess is that is 1RM is not nearly so impressive, but 320x24 is impressive nonetheless.

Not knocking you, but a set of 20+ reps of squat below parallel (with any weight) is a lot more motivating to me than rack pulls.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Sensei,

Agreed. rack pulls versus squats is apples to oranges. Just pointing out that to those of us with "average strength", feats like this aren't amazing. They are however appreciated. I urge everyone to try to work up to a squat like this. Me, I will be trying to do half of what Justin does in that video sometime in the next 5 years. Motiviation is relative and I agree, this is attainable for most at this board if they are consistent and take the weight seriously. I am sure this guy does not spend 2 hours working his bis and tris. Again, great effort by the guy in the video.

Sensei, do try to rack pull 525 9 times sometime though, it is quite fun. Heck, you are prboably already there.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Joey,
    Most of the forum members will never squat 500 once, let alone for reps anywhere close to parallel anytime soon... I understand your point about the posted video, but it is motivating for precisely the reason that you are criticizing it - it is a weight and an effort that it is the realm of achievable for the average joe.

For what the video is, it is very impressive. The guy weighs 170. My guess is that is 1RM is not nearly so impressive, but 320x24 is impressive nonetheless.

Not knocking you, but a set of 20+ reps of squat below parallel (with any weight) is a lot more motivating to me than rack pulls.
    Agreed. While I can squat more then him, it's still motivating to see a drug free average joe accomplish something like that.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

pretty damn impressive.!

I can squat 315 exactly 1 time, so yes, it is very impressive to me. That kind of strength is way above average (his, not mine).

someone should close this one down before it becomes an all out pissing contest.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Sensei,

Agreed. rack pulls versus squats is apples to oranges. Just pointing out that to those of us with "average strength", feats like this aren't amazing. They are however appreciated. I urge everyone to try to work up to a squat like this. Me, I will be trying to do half of what Justin does in that video sometime in the next 5 years. Motiviation is relative and I agree, this is attainable for most at this board if they are consistent and take the weight seriously. I am sure this guy does not spend 2 hours working his bis and tris. Again, great effort by the guy in the video.

Sensei, do try to rack pull 525 9 times sometime though, it is quite fun. Heck, you are prboably already there.
    Where's the video of you squatting 315lbs for 25 reps?

Or even the one of you rack pulling 525 for 9?
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 02-10-2008 at 08:53 AM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    Here is something to motivate everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az49UMdY1h0
    My lifelong squat goal is to get 1 rep with his weight + form. VERY IMPRESSIVE
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

Hey Deeder,

Perhaps I've rubbed you or others the wrong way. Not the intention at all. I apololgize for that. More just trying to point out that this is what people on this site should be striving for, and while it is good lifting, to me it is not impressive. I was just using the rack pull story as an example of how others can find something impressive, while others think it is nothing. I was definitely not bragging, as that is a pretty weak total for that lift. Trust me, we are on the same side in the iron game my friend. Again I apologize, and I don't think I ever belittled the effort this guy put forth. Tremendous. I just stated it was not "great strength", but that is my throught process. Again, it is all relative.

Just get under the bar!

Hey Deeder,

Perhaps I've rubbed you or others the wrong way. Not the intention at all. I apololgize for that. More just trying to point out that this is what people on this site should be striving for, and while it is good lifting, to me it is not impressive. I was just using the rack pull story as an example of how others can find something impressive, while others think it is nothing. I was definitely not bragging, as that is a pretty weak total for that lift. Trust me, we are on the same side in the iron game my friend. Again I apologize, and I don't think I ever belittled the effort this guy put forth. Tremendous. I just stated it was not "great strength", but that is my throught process. Again, it is all relative.
    I see what you are saying, and I agree. I apologize if I came across as an ass in my last post - not my intention.