Thread: Chris Mason And Paul Stagg

Chris Mason And Paul Stagg

What is perfect form for you on curls. Do you keep your elbows in the same spot the whole time and only go as far up with the barbell as you can without moving your elbows?

This is what I've been doing, but it seems like the bigger your biceps get the less range of motion you are going to have if you do them this way. I already can't touch the weights to my shoulders without moving my elbows. This is a bit confusing, because I'm using alot less weight and I'm not positive that it is going to work.

Please explain this to me.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

decease, RIP
    How about resting your elbows on your abs? I have seen that, anyone tried it?
    big.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    What benefit would you get from touching the weight to your shoulders?? Think about where gravity is applying the tension when the weights touch your shoulders. Do the full range you can do while keeping the tension on the muscle(s) you are trying to work.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Originally posted by LATMAN
    What benefit would you get from touching the weight to your shoulders?? Think about where gravity is applying the tension when the weights touch your shoulders. Do the full range you can do while keeping the tension on the muscle(s) you are trying to work.
    I think that this is perfect advice. I do as much (ROM) as possible then go down slow producing negatives that kill.

LATMAN IS ON POINT!
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Originally posted by LATMAN
    the benifit of touching the weight to your shoulders is compression. In this position your muscles are very compressed. There are only two forces acting on your muscles that is compression force and tensile force..

i don't do standing curls but i see all the biggest guys at the gym using somewhat poor form...some swaying etc...i'm not a big subscriber to cheating to get past a sticking point but mebbe it works...

i also agree with latty...the weight you are curling isn't actually adding much tension if any when your hands are to your shoulders...the weight and forearm are aligned so it can't really be pulling on the arm to cause any biceps contraction...you would have the same contraction holding no weight whatsoever...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by ElPietro
    you would have the same contraction holding no weight whatsoever...
    agreed. but why not bring the weight up to your shoulders and maximize the full compression force.

i have noticed lots of people dont keep their elbows tucked (lets not get into the NFL rules now !!) to their sides when they curl. I think this is almost worse then using your back to lift the weight.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Use the Arm Blaster. When you think you can master the movement on your own, stop using it if you want, but keep using it is fine also.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

i think if you are cheating on these exercises as long as you are not harming yourself it's fine...it almost becomes a compound movement when you use other parts of your body to assist...if you are curling and you can curl that weight through 99% of the ROM but there is a small sticking point a half second cheat can help you overcome that sticking point quicker...

although i am saying slight cheating to overcome a sticking point...i see some guys that are practically bent over backwards just so they can say they curl a certain weight or something...and grunting the whole way...feel like slapping those b!tches...but figure they'll eventually hurt themselves and not be coming back anyway...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by ElPietro

i see some guys that are practically bent over backwards just so they can say they curl a certain weight or something...and grunting the whole way...feel like slapping those b!tches...but figure they'll eventually hurt themselves and not be coming back anyway...
    C'mon. those guys are supersetting. They are working out their biceps and lower back at the same time. Also the swaying motion gives them a good cardio workout too. what is there not to like.

Well, I personally don't normally use perfect form for my curls. Most workouts, I cheat to an appreciable degree. When I am trying to use strict form, I will consciously try to minimize back sway and keep my elbows as stationary as possible. It is certainly not necessary to overly obsess about it, a little movement of the elbows will not spell disaster for your workouts.
    Last edited by chris mason; 03-15-2002 at 01:36 PM.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    "Compression" force? Muscles can't exert a force against compression. They can only provide a tensile force. This is why we have antagonists for every muscle group. Biceps/triceps, etc. There's no "bicep compression" force, it's the "triceps tensile" force that's providing force in this case. If the biceps were left alone, they would just fold up like spaghetti noodles when compressed.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Cool, so you think it's ok to move your elbows as long as the movement is slow chris?

I usually move my elbows forward, and I might move my back on the last 1 or 2, but I always use a slow motion.

My problem on alternating curls is that I sometimes lean to one side, dunno if that's bad or not either.

3:16
    i feel perfect form is more suited for the big compound lifts. A little back sway is not going to hurt your back(cheat reps on the last couple of reps), if you trian your back hard. I can squat, dead like 4-5 time more weight. so these will place far more stress on my lower back.
    plus my back is warmed up from trianing it earlier.

note - I used the word 'little sway'
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

decease, RIP
    Originally posted by big
    How about resting your elbows on your abs? I have seen that, anyone tried it?
    I tried that today, was ok but I had to use alot lighter weight. And I think a little cheating is good. Like Body said.
    big.

""Compression" force? Muscles can't exert a force against compression. They can only provide a tensile force. This is why we have antagonists for every muscle group. Biceps/triceps, etc. There's no "bicep compression" force, it's the "triceps tensile" force that's providing force in this case. If the biceps were left alone, they would just fold up like spaghetti noodles when compressed."

right on.

If you want to recruit the"elbow flexors" efficiently then keeping your elbows by your side throughout the movement will maximally stimulate them. If your elbows have a tendancy to come forward that means your nervous system is recruiting other muscles to aid in the lift like your shoulders for example.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

i find that incline curls help keep form strict in that you cant flare your elbows as much and there is no use of the back in cheating. As far as touching the shoulders go, when my biceps pump, I cant do it.

Try even touching your right hand to right shoulder after a good set of curls - you cant

Some people can't touch their shoulders after a few sets, but most can. Taller people like me can do it with ease. Also people with smaller arms can to.

It's not about keeping good form that I'm havin a prob with though, I'm just wondering if perfect form on curls is smart...

I'm gonna give it a try for awhile and decide mahself.