Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68

Thread: Romney to suspend campaign

  1. #1
    Wannabe Rick James Genacide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,591

    Romney to suspend campaign

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/...ign/index.html

    Romney had won 270 delegates in through the Super Tuesday contests, compared with front-runner John McCain's 680.

    Romney had no public events Wednesday and instead met with aides to discuss strategy to stay in the race through March 4.

    "It is tough to saddle up this a.m.," one Romney adviser told CNN the morning after his disappointing Super Tuesday finish.

    Although he outspent his rivals, Romney received just 175 delegates on Super Tuesday, compared with at least 504 for McCain and 141 for former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, according to CNN estimates.

    Romney came in first in Massachusetts, Alaska, Minnesota, Colorado and Utah on Super Tuesday. In the early voting contests, he won Nevada, Maine, Michigan and Wyoming.

    After his win in the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee became Romney's chief rival for the party's conservative vote.

    Huckabee on Tuesday won Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and West Virginia.

    Suspending a campaign has a different meaning depending on the party.

    On the Republican side, decisions on how to allocate delegates is left to the state parties.

    On the Democratic side, a candidate who "suspends" is technically still a candidate so he or she keeps both district and statewide delegates won through primaries and caucuses. Superdelegates are always free to support any candidate at any time, whether the candidate drops out, suspends or stays in.

    National party rules say that a candidate who "drops out" keeps any district-level delegates he or she has won so far but loses any statewide delegates he or she has won.

    Romney is expected to announce his decision Thursday afternoon at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, three Republican sources told CNN
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    he should just drop out, go cry again nacy boy, cry again.

  3. #3
    mind/body zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    386
    the republican party is ready to rupture.
    This stuff is epic.
    lol

    Rush and hannity and all those guys HATE Mcain!
    The cafe-christians and the conservatives liked Romney, but the hard christians didn't like that he was Mormon, so they backed Huckabee.
    Now, McCain needs to make Hucklebie his VP to try to lure some of those evangelicals, but almost everyone who votes republican that isn't a moderate can't stand either of these guys.

    This is an excelent year for a 3rd party candidate to show well
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

  4. #4
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    I probably won't be voting this time around.

  5. #5
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    As much as I hate what I'm about to say, I'll vote against McCain, no matter who the candidate is. I hope Ron Paul runs third party, but if he doesn't, and McCain has the nod from the RNC, I'll vote democrat. Yes, I just said it. I despise McCain with nearly every fiber in my body.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  6. #6
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    As much as I hate what I'm about to say, I'll vote against McCain, no matter who the candidate is. I hope Ron Paul runs third party, but if he doesn't, and McCain has the nod from the RNC, I'll vote democrat. Yes, I just said it. I despise McCain with nearly every fiber in my body.
    I'm with you. Although I'm sure there will be a Libertarian Party candidate, even if it isn't Paul.

    Also, watch for Bloomberg. This is a year a strong independent (think Ross Perot) could win the thing.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  7. #7
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    I'm with you. Although I'm sure there will be a Libertarian Party candidate, even if it isn't Paul.

    Also, watch for Bloomberg. This is a year a strong independent (think Ross Perot) could win the thing.
    Isn't bloomberg a socialist?

  8. #8
    Zeebo. Southern Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Trussville, AL
    Posts
    1,735
    I do not like McCain, but I cannot vote democrat. I'll be praying for a great 3rd party.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

    "Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

    "It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

  9. #9
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,668
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Isn't bloomberg a socialist?
    Aren't they all?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    you can always rwrite in R paul.
    i will if huckabee doesnt make it.
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 02-07-2008 at 02:33 PM.

  11. #11
    mind/body zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    you can always rwrite in R paul.
    i will if huckabee doesnt make it.
    function dBold.dbconnect(ATM) {
    if (connect) {
    UPDATE vCount 'Ron Paul' +1000;
    }
    }
    Last edited by zen; 02-07-2008 at 02:57 PM.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

  12. #12
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    you can always rwrite in R paul.
    i will if huckabee doesnt make it.
    I could but at that point I'll be voting against someone instead of for something. As much as I'd like to write RP in, I'd rather vote against McCain. That is how badly I despise him.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 02-07-2008 at 03:16 PM.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  13. #13
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,389
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    you can always rwrite in R paul.
    i will if huckabee doesnt make it.
    i think this is what i will be doing

    i cannot bring myself to vote for john mccain

  14. #14
    Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NORTHERN Virginia
    Posts
    1,381
    Methinks there are gonna be alot of Obamacans...


    EDIT: And, out of curiosity, what about McCain do you all despise so much? Not trying to start a huge debate, because I'm not saying I agree either way, I just want to know what positions of his caused these reactions.
    Last edited by whiteman90909; 02-07-2008 at 07:33 PM.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I could but at that point I'll be voting against someone instead of for something. As much as I'd like to write RP in, I'd rather vote against McCain. That is how badly I despise him.
    voting against someone never accomplishes anything, if everyone voted for someone instead of voting against someone, maybe those in office wouldnt be so bad

  16. #16
    Who is John Galt? CrazyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    As much as I hate what I'm about to say, I'll vote against McCain, no matter who the candidate is. I hope Ron Paul runs third party, but if he doesn't, and McCain has the nod from the RNC, I'll vote democrat. Yes, I just said it. I despise McCain with nearly every fiber in my body.
    I'm with you. Obama 08'!!!
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

    "A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

  17. #17
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    voting against someone never accomplishes anything, if everyone voted for someone instead of voting against someone, maybe those in office wouldnt be so bad

    If Ron Paul runs, I'll vote for him. If he doesn't, I'm not going to waste my vote. Say what you want, but holding onto my personal freedoms and keeping myself out of Iraq is enough justification to vote against McCain.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  18. #18
    Who is John Galt? CrazyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    voting against someone never accomplishes anything, if everyone voted for someone instead of voting against someone, maybe those in office wouldnt be so bad
    When faced with an option to pick between "bad" and "horrible" I think we all would pick "bad". McCain is under the "horrible" option.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

    "A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    When faced with an option to pick between "bad" and "horrible" I think we all would pick "bad". McCain is under the "horrible" option.
    bah, do you even work? do you know how much taxes will increase if one of the two front running democrats make it and there tax, i mean healthcare (crapcare) plan would go through.
    that is why i think your an idiot, sorry.
    you seem to have no idea of the real world.

  20. #20
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post

    EDIT: And, out of curiosity, what about McCain do you all despise so much? Not trying to start a huge debate, because I'm not saying I agree either way, I just want to know what positions of his caused these reactions.
    Open boarder policy and terrorism for starters. He's also old as hell and kind of a loose cannon.

  21. #21
    Who is John Galt? CrazyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    bah, do you even work? do you know how much taxes will increase if one of the two front running democrats make it and there tax, i mean healthcare (crapcare) plan would go through.
    that is why i think your an idiot, sorry.
    you seem to have no idea of the real world.
    We are all now dumber after reading your post.

    Yes I do work. You must be a billionaire because those are the only types that are in for a massive tax hike. Also its funny that you'd support a canidate who wants to keep us in a war which costs trillions of dollars to run, yet complain about tax hikes. You really think McCain can keep this up without raising taxes? Bush has been borrowing like mad just to keep up, those bills will be due in the next presidency. You can't just keep borrowing. Please read some books on economics before posting again.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

    "A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

  22. #22
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post

    EDIT: And, out of curiosity, what about McCain do you all despise so much? Not trying to start a huge debate, because I'm not saying I agree either way, I just want to know what positions of his caused these reactions.


    When he spit on the POWs, I lost every bit of respect for him I ever could have had.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  23. #23
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    When he spit on the POWs, I lost every bit of respect for him I ever could have had.
    When did McCain spit on POWs? Why did he do it?

  24. #24
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    When did McCain spit on POWs? Why did he do it?
    Sorry, I didn't mean literally spit on POWs. He's been on a Senate Sub Committee that's dealt with the fact that we still have somewhere close to 500 POWs left in Souther Asia and Laos. Knowing this, he has voted to effectively close the door on the situation and voted against the United States taking action to get our men back. There was a big topic about it a couple of weeks ago on a spec op board I lurk around. The feeling of utter disgust is pretty prevalent around that forum, and I can't particularly blame them.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  25. #25
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean literally spit on POWs. He's been on a Senate Sub Committee that's dealt with the fact that we still have somewhere close to 500 POWs left in Souther Asia and Laos. Knowing this, he has voted to effectively close the door on the situation and voted against the United States taking action to get our men back. There was a big topic about it a couple of weeks ago on a spec op board I lurk around. The feeling of utter disgust is pretty prevalent around that forum, and I can't particularly blame them.
    We still have 500 men in S.E. Asia? This is ****ing news to me. Link?

Similar Threads

  1. Mitt Romney Loses Mark Larsen's Vote
    By Chubrock in forum General Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 08:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •