Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arm shrunk after removing direct arm exercises??

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I add in 2 sets of biceps a week and it seems like its working great.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Banned
    Targeting the biceps a couple times per week will 'cut' them, giving them a nice shape, it will be beneficial for the appearance of the bicep. If you enjoy showing off your 'guns' like Ron Burgendy, then do it. You can say to the chicks:

"watch out for the guns, they'll get ya.."

I'm not sure if it will strengthen them though.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_escalantes View Post
    Targeting the biceps a couple times per week will 'cut' them, giving them a nice shape, it will be beneficial for the appearance of the bicep. If you enjoy showing off your 'guns' like Ron Burgendy, then do it. You can say to the chicks:

That's the biggest load of ***** in this thread.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

You must have MASSIVE arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    I went from 164lbs on April 1, 2007 to just about 220lbs. My weight is now 215lbs. I went from having 14.5" inch arms to 16.5" arms in that time. This was done with VERY LITTLE direct bicep work. 3 sets a week in general just to keep the elbows healthy.

Oh, I also train with a guy who has over 19" arms and he trains bis just like I do. Once a week, only a couple of sets.

But you're right, if you want big arms... Just do a bunch of curls.

The problem with this particular guy is that he's doing very little work in general. 2 days a week? Of course you're not going to put on any quality muscle.
    i went from about 15.0" weighing 135 to 17.0" weighing 155 in about 2 years time working my arms hard and intense with direct arm work
    if you work them they grow

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    i went from about 15.0" weighing 135 to 17.0" weighing 155 in about 2 years time working my arms hard and intense with direct arm work
    if you work them they grow
    You also raw bench the same as you squat in wraps and a belt... So uhh.. yeah...

My guess is that the biggest reason your arms are so big at your weight is that you have a good bench and do lots of heavy tricep work.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Beno79 View Post
    This particular forum seems to have adopted the belief that iso arm exercises are a cardinal sin. It's preached on an almost daily basis, and many of the forum members seem to have been swayed to this way of thinking, following the crowd, rather like sheep...

Now relatively new members (having obviously spent some time reading here) are spewing out well rehearsed lines such as the infamous:

Gain 50 pounds, squat for biceps...

Not all queries can be answered with these lines.

Anyway... I say if you want big arms, train them directly, and heavy.
    No one believes iso arm exercises are a sin. They are however, for the most part, a waste of time. Tell me what is more likely to give bigger triceps. Benching 300 lbs or doing skull crushers with 120? Progressive overload (done properly) gives results. It is much easier to achieve progressive overload by using compound exercises as opposed to isolation arm exercises.

Now this does not mean that iso arm exercises should not be done (as I have said many times before). But put them where they belong. Arms (and chest) make up something like 25-30% of your LBM so give them no more than 25-30% of your training time.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-14-2008 at 02:51 AM.

This particular forum seems to have adopted the belief that iso arm exercises are a cardinal sin. It's preached on an almost daily basis, and many of the forum members seem to have been swayed to this way of thinking, following the crowd, rather like sheep...

Now relatively new members (having obviously spent some time reading here) are spewing out well rehearsed lines such as the infamous:

Exactly!

And I got so stuck in that kind of thinking, it was not untill I was exposed to some veeery different training techniques and have thrown myself as uch as possible into the local lifting community here that I realised how arrow minded alot on hee have become.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

You can not shape the muscle. Shape is genetic.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Exactly!

And I got so stuck in that kind of thinking, it was not untill I was exposed to some veeery different training techniques and have thrown myself as uch as possible into the local lifting community here that I realised how arrow minded alot on hee have become.

There is a difference between being narrow-minded...and realizing what works best for most people. To paraphrase Mr. Stagg.
    Unless you are a professional bodybuilder @240 lbs and 8% bodyfat, there is really no need to do a lot of iso arm work.

Exceptions would be if your arms are still lagging or if you want to specialize on them. But for most people heavy pushing and pulling is all they will require as (if done correctly) that will stimulate the muscles more than any iso exercise.

Your training obviously works for you Mr. Fuzzy. (when you're that big they call you mister ) However remember what Ellington Darden said to Arnold. "Nothing fails like success" What he meant by that is that a way of training can lead to being quite successful and thus to complacency and of a refusal to search out another way...even if said other way might lead to even more success.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    There is a difference between being narrow-minded...and realizing what works best for most people. To paraphrase Mr. Stagg.
    Unless you are a professional bodybuilder @240 lbs and 8% bodyfat, there is really no need to do a lot of iso arm work.
    ALOT, the word is alot, the trend I am talking about is NO direct arm work. Is it really gonna kill someone to do some curls after their back session?

Exceptions would be if your arms are still lagging or if you want to specialize on them. But for most people heavy pushing and pulling is all they will require as (if done correctly) that will stimulate the muscles more than any iso exercise.
    Yes, duh, anyone here can tell you that, this is not what I am saying, I am saying that there is a very NO ISO mentality here that is totally unneeded.

Your training obviously works for you Mr. Fuzzy. (when you're that big they call you mister ) However remember what Ellington Darden said to Arnold. "Nothing fails like success" What he meant by that is that a way of training can lead to being quite successful and thus to complacency and of a refusal to search out another way...even if said other way might lead to even more success.
    My training? I wont even pretend to understand my training, I lift heavy weights and my coach takes care of everything from diet, recovery, massage and program. I just put 100% into lifting, i think about other training, but never my own.

No isolations worked for me to a point, all I am trying to get through is there has become such a heavy no isolation trend on here that is totally unnecesary. YES heavy pushing and pulling hits the arms more than curls BUT there is a attitude displayed here that almost looks down on iso's. Everything has it's place.

I am not stuck in one way of thinking, Im the OPPOSITE, I see way waaay too much weird crap that just works. I got into the whole squat for biceps and deadlift for abs. Anyone that says you dont need direct ab work is an idiot.

Ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you squatting twice a day 6 days a week will over train you. Well take a look <<< Im doing it and getting stronger, Im healthy and fine. Look at thousands of Oly lifters.

I am saying to NOT get stuck in the 'no isolation' mindset. heck, I am saying to not get stuck in ANY mindset.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    You also raw bench the same as you squat in wraps and a belt... So uhh.. yeah...

My guess is that the biggest reason your arms are so big at your weight is that you have a good bench and do lots of heavy tricep work.
    the reason why my touch and go bench as much as i atf squat is cause i started late and never put any effort in my squats, started late cause i blew out my knees in basketball by jumping to much. its moving up fast though.

yes allot of my triceps strength and growth have come from my benchpressing.
    but my axillary day, aka arm day, were i work my triceps more help my benchpress too.
    yes on my torso day i do work my arms some, but they get a much more intense workout on my arm day.

I'll admit that I have been having urges to do barbell curls, skull crushers, and lateral raises lately, but I'm trying very hard to hold myself back. I told myself almost a year ago that I was only going to do functional training exercises, but I'm thinking that some direct tricep work may help me with my bench and OH press. Curls won't really help anything except to possibly make my biceps look prettier.

I do think that arm iso's will help give you bigger looking arms. The only problem with that is that I'm not sure that I want big arms that are made from doing arm work, because that gives the false appearance of strength. Right now, I'm exactly as strong as I look. I'm much bigger overall then I used to be a year ago, but my arms are not abnormally big or anything. They're just proportional to the rest of my body; they're exactly as big as they need to be in order to move the weights that I am using. Strength comes from your legs and torso. Your arms are just extremities, and don't play a huge role in overall strength. Having big ol' bulging arms makes you look more 'jacked', and it makes you look like your strong as hell, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you are as strong as you look (does that make sense? It makes sense in my head.).

I'd rather let my arms grow because they'd have to in order to keep up with the rest of my body, which gets bigger and stronger from moving the real weight in the big lifts. I'm weird now I guess. I just don't want to be one of those dudes that's sitting there with his sleeves all tight around his arms (which he probably bought a few sizes too small purposely anyway), but when it comes down to it the dude can't even squat his own bodyweight - his arms were strictly made from specific 'arm work'. I'm sure some of you know the type I'm talking about. There's at least one at every party you go to.

On the other hand, it is fun to look in the mirror and see some big arms hanging off of me. I'm still fighting that urge though.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    I just don't want to be one of those dudes that's sitting there with his sleeves all tight around his arms (which he probably bought a few sizes too small purposely anyway), but when it comes down to it the dude can't even squat his own bodyweight - his arms were strictly made from specific 'arm work'.
    I have a buddy like that. He is pretty light in weight and his shoulders aren't broad and he has a small torso and legs but big guns. I ask him what he squats he says I have bad knees so I can't squat. I ask him what he benches he says I have a bad shoulder so I don't bench. I go ohh yeah well those excuses explain why you always complain about having a small torso, and with a jacket on or something he looks scrawny its only in tiny tshirts that he looks big.
    Last edited by Brad263; 02-14-2008 at 07:57 AM.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

I was always under the impression that big arms came from big Tri's. That Bi's are really just what sticks out more but its the tri's that make the arm big. So I was thinking just one curl exercise at the end of back day and one really high weight powerful tri exercise at the end of chest day. Whats better for Tri's board press or narrow bench? And am I supposed to be using more weight then I can bench? I assume Narrow is less weight and board's are higher weight. So would boards be better for growing tri's and also bringing you bench up, which is also a concern for me. I feel I get stronger every time I squat or deadlift but my bench always feels really hard and never gets easier.
    Last edited by Brad263; 02-14-2008 at 07:58 AM.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

I sure as hell don't need to cut them. I feel like I have the highest metabolism ever (i know its just a feeling because everyone's is high) and even after a bulk of 15-20lbs I have perfect definition in everything but my stomach.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

IMO Fuzz, isolation exercises are only good for pre/rehab.

Ie: The curls that I do are to keep my elbows healthy.
    Lateral Raises, keep the side delts strong to avoid imbalances.
    Skull Crushers to get blood into the muscle after a heavy bench day.
    Full Powerlifting

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar

If you take the exact opposite of what you said, you have a post that's almost correct. That seems to be the case in every post of of yours that I've read. Stop posting and start reading.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

From the OP it seems like one arm shrunk a little and one arm grew a little after he STOPPED doing direct work.

If you do rows, chins etc then surely the arms are working together so the weaker arm works harder and hence why both arms are now the same size.

Maybe before, he used dumbbells and his arms grew unbalanced.

I'd say keep it up and you might find that both arms start to grow together.

Just a thought ...
    Last edited by leetuck; 02-14-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Really? I don't see this.

Anyway, some people don't need direct arm work. Some people do. I'm a little skeptical of the OP's methods myself. You have to measure the same way, at the same time, under the same conditions. Also, if he measured only 2 weeks after he did it the first time, then of course there's not going to be a noticeable difference. Gain at least 10 lbs, however long that takes, and then re-measure.

BTW, I do one or two direct arm exercises on my chest and back day as auxillary lifts (tri's with chest and bi's with back). My arms aren't great (16.75") but they've continued to grow slowly.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by leetuck View Post
    Hi Guys,

From the OP it seems like one arm shrunk a little and one arm grew a little after he STOPPED doing direct work.

If you do rows, chins etc then surely the arms are working together so the weaker arm works harder and hence why both arms are now the same size.

Maybe before, he used dumbbells and his arms grew unbalanced.

I'd say keep it up and you might find that both arms start to grow together.

Just a thought ...
    That would be awesome. I must admit I was very happy they evened out I didn't think that would be possible. So if they both start growing evenly from here and my right was just waiting for my left so to say that would be perfect. I just hope they finally do because seeing a slight decrease while not losing weight was very frustrating.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    ALOT, the word is alot, the trend I am talking about is NO direct arm work. Is it really gonna kill someone to do some curls after their back session?

Yes, duh, anyone here can tell you that, this is not what I am saying, I am saying that there is a very NO ISO mentality here that is totally unneeded.

My training? I wont even pretend to understand my training, I lift heavy weights and my coach takes care of everything from diet, recovery, massage and program. I just put 100% into lifting, i think about other training, but never my own.

No isolations worked for me to a point, all I am trying to get through is there has become such a heavy no isolation trend on here that is totally unnecesary. YES heavy pushing and pulling hits the arms more than curls BUT there is a attitude displayed here that almost looks down on iso's. Everything has it's place.

I am not stuck in one way of thinking, Im the OPPOSITE, I see way waaay too much weird crap that just works. I got into the whole squat for biceps and deadlift for abs. Anyone that says you dont need direct ab work is an idiot.

Ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you squatting twice a day 6 days a week will over train you. Well take a look <<< Im doing it and getting stronger, Im healthy and fine. Look at thousands of Oly lifters.

I am saying to NOT get stuck in the 'no isolation' mindset. heck, I am saying to not get stuck in ANY mindset.
    Even Oly lifters take 'breaks' in the form of deloading periods, etc.

Banned
    It seems that the common theme about big arms on this forum is all about squats and deadlifts. A newbie will ask "how do I get big arms?"

The quotes thrown at him are: "go to the squat rack, go pick up a barbell off the floor."

That might be true, but I know guys that have shredded arms in my gym. They do barbell curls, lots of sets, varying weight. I've only been here for a short time, but I know I will be in for a laugh when a newbie asks about biceps.
    Last edited by nick_escalantes; 02-14-2008 at 03:47 PM.

It seems that the common theme about big arms on this forum is all about squats and deadlifts. A newbie will ask "how do I get big arms?"

The quotes thrown at him are: "go to the squat rack, go pick up a barbell off the floor."

That might be true, but I know guys that have shredded arms in my gym. They do barbell curls, lots of sets, varying weight. I've only been here for a short time, but I know I will be in for a laugh when a newbie asks about biceps.
    What do you consider to be big arms?
    Full Powerlifting

Why would you want big arms if the rest of you looks like a pre-pubescent 6th grader?

Being big is cool. Having big arms sprouting out of a torso that makes a piece of wet spaghetti look thick is not!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes