The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Pain in soleus area when squatting

Alright, this has been going for a while now and it's finally really starting to get to me. So I decided to post about it.

Whenever I squat with any weight on my back it hurts my soleus area. Not sure if it's exactly the soleus, but that's the general area. I don't remember when it first started, but it's getting really annoying.

My squat form is okay (at least I think), so I don't THINK that's the problem, it could be though. I've recorded a video of how I squat, but there's no weight, but you can get an idea anyway. My toes are sort of pointed out, stance is pretty much hip width.

Video

I foam roll it quite often but it doesn't help that much. Also stretch it as best I can.

What do you think it is that causes this pain? It's very apparent when I'm in the squat position from catching a clean. Sometimes I can avoid most of it by changing my foot position a little, but it doesn't help that much. Any ideas?
    Last edited by CleverName; 02-06-2008 at 09:41 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try doing some narrower stance squats for a while and see if that helps.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    try stretching your foot on a 45degree incline, it really helped me with a similar pain.

When does it hurt? At what point does the pain stop? Is there a time when you stop that you feel relief?

Try cutting your squat just an inch high of where you were going with it. You could be squatting deep enough and pinching a nerve in the calves, causing the pain you're feeling. There could be some impingement or when you hit depth with some weight on your back you might be giving yourself a charlie horse.

Like 90kg said above, try stretching the calves before and after squatting.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

It hurts during the pushing portion of the lift, the second I start going back up. I'll say it stops hurting when I'm above parallel, somewhere around that.

I guess I could squat a bit less deep, even though I'd hate to. With a narrower stance though I get another problem, which is a bone or something popping on the side of my knee when I go below parallel. :/

Thanks though, will try stretching more.

What kind of shoes do you wear? Have you tried squatting barefooted?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

do you do any calf strengthing exercises?

it could be that you pulled it maybe? and its just not being given a chance to heal. Try putting some heat on it before you go in. Form looks pretty good, might be your leg just needs a break to heal up a bit

I wear Puma Roma shoes, they're comfortable for squatting, but I do want Olympic shoes real bad. I can't squat barefoot at my stupid gym. The only calf exercise I do is standing calf raises.

My only guess is that when I was working a job with kegs that weigh 150+ pounds I had to sometimes slide them across the floor with the side of my legs (the soleus part), and I guess that's where the pain first started, but I don't do that job anymore. Will try putting Icy Hot on the area before and after.

An update for anyone who cares (which is nobody basically ).

Squatted today, and I realized that when I squatted down I was putting a lot of pressure from my hamstrings right onto my calves, almost pushing off of them. I think that's what was causing the majority of the pain. I deep squatted a little without doing that and avoided almost all the pain. I think I just need to be careful not to press my hams against the calves too hard.

Anyway, I parallel squatted 275lbs 3x4 with no problem at all, no pain, nothing! Yay!

Cleans still hurt a bit, but I know what needs to be done now.
    Last edited by CleverName; 02-09-2008 at 01:48 PM.

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    it is a sharp shooting pain going down the side for example between the soleus and the shin bone. it could be sciatica. pay attention to your lower back strength.

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    then again it could just be youre putting too much stress on the soleus in a stretched position (when your ankle is extended) as you go really deep. check that your stance is perfectly level and youre not putting more strain on one leg than the other.

be careful with stretching a muscle which is painful, it can often make any accumulated microtrauma worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Try doing some narrower stance squats for a while and see if that helps.
    Exactly.

AND

if the foam rolling doesnt work find an ART therapist.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.