The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Exercising for the GF

Ok so the deal is that my GF works very odd hours as a pharmacist so some days are 12 hours days. She has a gym membership but it takes her 25 minutes to get there which definitely hinders her motivation and when she actually does go (1-2 times a week) she runs for 30 minutes and then does light weightlifting for the next 30 minutes.

Long story short is that nothing has changed so I wanted to get her a home workout DVD or something along those lines just to get her off her ass and doing something active. She wants to do something but never has to the time or motivation.

Would sinking low enough just to buy like the Tae Bo DVDs be good enough just to get her moving or is there anything else that she can do at home that will get her cardio going but still give her some strength training?

Don't flame for the DVDs, I know it's bad lol.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not gonna flame for DVDs, but how's her diet? And why all the emphasis on cardio?

Have her read my blog. If she likes, she can do complexes at home. http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/open-source-fitness/
    (scroll down and you'lll find the complexes)

There are many exercises she can do from home. Maybe get her a dumbell set. You can get the ones that have twist on holders on the end so you can change up the weight. Have her do squats and lunges and stuff like that for legs with the DB's. She can lay on a bed and do DB presses, push ups, she can do dips between two counter tops, Think outside of the box and look around her house you can probably find tons of ways to do good compound movements for her.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Not gonna flame for DVDs, but how's her diet? And why all the emphasis on cardio?

Have her read my blog. If she likes, she can do complexes at home. http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/open-source-fitness/
    (scroll down and you'lll find the complexes)
    Her diet is ok, she eats small frequent meals but it can be tough on those 12 hours days when shes not allowed to take a break since shes in charge.

I've tried to get her away from the cardio so much but I lose that argument every time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad263 View Post
    There are many exercises she can do from home. Maybe get her a dumbell set. You can get the ones that have twist on holders on the end so you can change up the weight. Have her do squats and lunges and stuff like that for legs with the DB's. She can lay on a bed and do DB presses, push ups, she can do dips between two counter tops, Think outside of the box and look around her house you can probably find tons of ways to do good compound movements for her.
    As much as it sounds easy to use to do this, she needs a lot more direction and a set routine and having it coming from me won't be good because having a loved one tell you how to work out never settled well in our relationship. Apparently I am "too intense" lol, which is ok because it may work for me but not her. That's why I thought about a DVD.

Starting Strength.

Small frequent meals are unnecessary and overrated. They're mostly just a gimmick. I don't eat this way. What is her diet like? www.fitday.com track, post up an average and her height, weight, and rate of gain/loss.

People talk weights over cardio so much, but I've realized that I wasn't in very good cardiovascular condition when I was only lifting. Getting on that rower (3 times a week, on my "off" days), and upping the intensity at regular intervals, has done wonders for me.

If I was going to order anything from TV, it'd be P90X. It's basically crossfit, and all she would need is two matched dumbbells.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    People talk weights over cardio so much, but I've realized that I wasn't in very good cardiovascular condition when I was only lifting. Getting on that rower (3 times a week, on my "off" days), and upping the intensity at regular intervals, has done wonders for me.
    Sure, but that's in addition to lifting, right? How many women do you see doing the heavy work that ensures they stay strong and don't drop muscle while they do all that cardio?

Wannabebig Member
    Small frequent meals are unnecessary and overrated. They're mostly just a gimmick. I don't eat this way. What is her diet like? track, post up an average and her height, weight, and rate of gain/loss.
    Overrated? Well the king of losing weight is eating less than you burn, but all the extras are small changes that when used together create a big change.

Um, sure. But on a cut, you get so little food that when you spread it out over many small meals they turn into many small mouthfulls. Not exactly satisfying.

I try to stay hungry as long as I can in the AM, then overeat at night while cutting.

MUCH more comfortable. And since you don't speed up your metabolism by eating more frequently (thank GOD that myth got dispelled!), this makes it easier to stick to sub-maintenance calories.

I know one thing I'd have my girlfriend doing for cardio

Work on the diet, get her a set of weights to work at home if you think the gym is too far out of the way. A 300 pound olympic weight set is cheap and a bench isn't too much of an investment if you watch craigslist ebay and the traders guide.

Sure, but that's in addition to lifting, right? How many women do you see doing the heavy work that ensures they stay strong and don't drop muscle while they do all that cardio?
    I agree, but you know as well as I do how tough it is to convince women to touch weights that aren't pink.

I did manage to convince my girlfriend of this, and wrote her up a crossfit routine to do at home. She loved it. Her schedule is so hectic, though, that it didn't last very long. Most recently, I brought my treadmill over, and she's been using that. Along with diet, it's working for her. But, she's sort of genetically predisposed to respond to anything. And, in the end, I just want her to be happy.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Getting her to do anything active would be a step in the right direction right now. She's either at work standing/walking around the pharmacy or at home watching tv or bothering my on AIM while I'm at work lol.

Crossfit would be perfect for her. Anyone have any good cookie cutter routines to get her started? I have not gone down that road yet so I wouldn't know where to start. I gotta read some articles too.

Kettlebells, theyre functional, a great full body workout and Im pretty sre theres some hollywood celebrity craze going on now with them, theres loads of female instructed kbell dvds too, and it can all be done in your living room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by McVein View Post
    Kettlebells, theyre functional, a great full body workout and Im pretty sre theres some hollywood celebrity craze going on now with them, theres loads of female instructed kbell dvds too, and it can all be done in your living room.
    Great idea, I completely forgot about kettlebells. I'll try that route and hope I don't get put into the doghouse when I bring up working out again lol.

With a pharmacist's salary she should be able to buy as much home equipment as she needs.

No loss of motivation on the drive to the gym.

Pop in the home DVD and you're set.

Or, get some good caffeine and ephderine to stimulate the happy neurochemicals.

****, she's pharmcist.....get some even better stuff.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-24-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blaindsmith View Post
    Great idea, I completely forgot about kettlebells. I'll try that route and hope I don't get put into the doghouse when I bring up working out again lol.
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by McVein View Post
    I take it you know what I'm talking about LOL.

Kettlebells it is. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by blaindsmith View Post
    I take it you know what I'm talking about LOL.

Kettlebells it is. Wish me luck!
    hahaha

good luck.
    I agree with McVein

Get her a ~25 lb kettlebell and make her do a bunch of complex type stuff with it. Add in push-ups, sit-ups and squats. Think CrossFit type stuff.

http://www.crossfit.com

Is she locked into a longterm gym membership? If not just tell her to cancel it and find a more convenient gym. IMO the most important thing about picking a gym isn't the quality of the facilities (although that's definitely #2), but it's how convenient it is for you to get to. You should always try to find a gym that is either

1) within 5 min of home
    2) within 5 min of work
    3) somewhere directly on your drive to/from work

If you can do that then you never have to make an excuse for not going. There is no reason you should be joining a gym that is a 25 min drive. If I did that I'd probably never go.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Quote Originally Posted by SMK41 View Post
    Is she locked into a longterm gym membership? If not just tell her to cancel it and find a more convenient gym. IMO the most important thing about picking a gym isn't the quality of the facilities (although that's definitely #2), but it's how convenient it is for you to get to. You should always try to find a gym that is either

1) within 5 min of home
    2) within 5 min of work
    3) somewhere directly on your drive to/from work

If you can do that then you never have to make an excuse for not going. There is no reason you should be joining a gym that is a 25 min drive. If I did that I'd probably never go.
    yes...
    I agree with McVein