Thread: Carb Cycling (Cutting Diet) - Questions

Carb Cycling (Cutting Diet) - Questions

I'm looking to start a carb cycling diet specifically geared towards cutting ~15-20lbs. over 4-5 months. I've attached a basic diet that I threw together using a lot of the principles discussed on this forum and elsewhere, however, I'd like to hear any suggestions. I plan to start the diet on Monday, so any feedback before then is much appreciated! I've included basic statistics in the file, but to make it easier, here are some of the more important stats:

Natural: Yes (i.e. not using gear)
    Weight: 230lbs.
    ~BF%: 14% - 16%
    Goal BF%: 8%

Current Routine - 4 day split (lift in morning/cardio in evening)

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyone?

It's all good... or no one looked at it. :P

Ditch the glutamine and probably the ALA - the glutamine will do nothing for you, the ALA is overpriced and you aren't taking enough to do anything.

Ditch the coconut oil unless you love it. I prefer to get in my MCTs from butter, and from cooking with coconut milk. If you like coconut milk, blend it into a shake or make curry with it.

Otherwise, looks great. How much of a deficit is this for you?

Just finishing out the bottles with the glutamine and ALA, but won't be buying more once they're empty.

Coconut oil is easier for me since I stick to the Foreman grill, not the frying pan, for nearly all my cooking needs. I just measure out a tbsp, hold my nose, and down-the-hatch. :P

Depending on the day I'm running a 300-500 kcal deficit.

Why would you knock back something that doesn't taste good while cutting? Trust me, butter your veggies. Much tastier.

Your diet otherwise looks fine, should put you right on track.

How (specifically) will you be training during your cut? Rep ranges, movements, type of cardio?

I use the coconut oil more out of ease of use than anything else. But you're right, it certainly doesn't taste as good as butter. I'll try it.

For lifting, I vary the rep ranges. Much like BGB, I focus on matching up bodyparts based on the plane of movement (i.e. legs with biceps; shoulders with upper back, etc.). I'll usually start with low rep ranges for the 1st exercise of each bodypart, move to a medium rep range exercise, and end with a high rep range exercise. I'll be training 4 days/week and hitting each bodypart once per week.

Cardio is primarily mixed martial arts (Muay Thai, BJJ, etc.) for 2 hours, 4 days/week. On weeks where I can only train 2 days/week, I'll be doing HIIT on the third day for my cardio.

Sounds like you'll be busy! Good luck, and be sure not to let yourself get too run down. That MMA training is KILLER. Maybe plan your refeed days on MMA days?

Tell me about it... I've been training in MMA since 2001 and martial arts since 1986 - and it is, hands down, the most intense cardio I've ever experienced. I actually lift and do MMA on the high protein/carb days (lift in the AM, MMA in the PM), so those are my killer days. I really focus on getting enough rest on the 3 rest days.

If I'm REALLY tired, I might up the carbs a bit on training days - we'll see how it goes.