The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

getting wisdom teeth pulled???

so in 2 weeks im getting my wisdom teeth pulled. witch seem to worry me because i have been packing on mass/strength very well lately, and im not wanting to part with it. im not sure how long i will no be able to eat solid foods but im thinking at least 3 days with out solid foods or at least ill be on quarters that long. what type of nutrition can/should i consume? weight gainers, dextrose, protein? any help would be very appreciated.
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight:224 lbs
    Goal: make it to the world firefighter combat challenge

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    3 days shouldnt set you back much. But yeah dextrose for the carbs. Weight gainers for calories. And protein shakes for... protein, lol. Olive oil for healthy fats too.

I doubt it will be 3 days. At any rate, oats, yogurt, smoothies.

Worst case scenario is what? You go a few days without a huge amount of food and your progress is hindered for maybe a week before things go back to normal?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    You'll bounce back fast, don't worry too much.

Eating solid foods will probably be tough for the first 3-5 days. Doesn't mean you can't make plenty of protein shakes. Your biggest concern for a while should be avoiding dry socket. That's the worst.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Dextrose is a bad choice of carb if you're not going to work out. You'll get a big spike for nothing.

Go read the thread about a liquid diet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Eating solid foods will probably be tough for the first 3-5 days. Doesn't mean you can't make plenty of protein shakes. Your biggest concern for a while should be avoiding dry socket. That's the worst.
    x1,000 If you wisdom teeth are impacted solid may even take up to a week. Getting my wisdom teeth pulled was potentially the worst week & 1/2 of my life. Plus I got two dry sockets and was not aware of it and thought pain like someone was pulling my teeth constantly was normal! I think I am in tears thinking about it You should concentrate more on not geting a dry socket then your weight. And don't use a straw. Goodluck

When I got mine pulled I lost like 10lbs or so on all my lifts. I thought I would be making tons of shakes and stuff but the fact was I felt like such **** the first few days I just slept. But it wasnt 3 days before I was eating solid food. More like 5 or so..

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

If they give you good drugs for it, you won't care one bit about the 1-2 days you are out of it, laying on the couch, not training and eating.

I never understand all the horror stories. I must have been lucky or had the one good dentist performing the procedure.

I went home and took a nap, then had oats, yogurt, soft food for the rest of the day. The very next day I was back to solid foods and working out. Pain free.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Pardon my stupidity, what's dry socket?

Wannabebig Member
    It's really not that bad, but make sure you CLEAN your mouth amazingly well. I thought I did but mine got infected and I couldn't eat solid foods for like a week.
    5'11" 175lb
    DL: 375 BP: 255 SQ: 275

Youll be out for 1-2 weeks. Even if you can work out after a week you wont be as strong as before. When I got mine out I ate split pea soup by the gallon.

Horrible experience... good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    I just had my wisdom teeth taken out on Friday, Feb 1st. I was bulking at the time. It's really not too bad to do a liquid diet for a couple days. I did get sick of Opticen after my 5th shake in 24hrs. You should be back to eating solidish food in 2-3 days. My brother had his done at the same time, and he was eating burritos by that night. By Sunday, he was eating pizza. I got a dry socket on one side. It wasn't THAT terrible. No need to take the lortab or anything. I'm just now really getting over it.

So yeah, don't worry about it. It sucks for a week or so, but you only have to do it once! Keep your Opticen/weight gainer/etc close.
    my cut
    start: 9/30/06 - 196lbs
    now: 3/2/07 - 171lbs
    goal: 5/18/07 - 160lbs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    I never understand all the horror stories. I must have been lucky or had the one good dentist performing the procedure.

I went home and took a nap, then had oats, yogurt, soft food for the rest of the day. The very next day I was back to solid foods and working out. Pain free.
    you must be just one big badass

Run into a corner and hide. Don't go get them removed. Very painful. My mouth was swollen for a week, couldn't eat any solid food, couldn't talk for 5 days, it hurt when I laid down, plus I wasn't allowed to take any Vico's 'cause my mom hid them from me.... Hell any mention of the words wisdom teeth evoke pain and suffering in my mouth.
    Last edited by yankeekd25; 02-13-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Wannabebig Member so_calmaxwell's Avatar
    Just don't get anything stuck in the holes.... I wouldnt recomend oats.
    Maybe if finelly blended... or possible creme of wheat. Soft pasta would be a good carb choice.
    Rinse well with water after every meal. And no straws. You won't want to eat that first day anyways. Last but not least make sure they give you vicodine...It helped me sleep when I had mine done ( I had 3 done at once)

It was like a 2 day thing then you can eat whatever just carefully.
    Pain for me was gone by the end of the following day after the surgury.
    Last edited by so_calmaxwell; 02-16-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    When I got mine pulled I lost like 10lbs or so on all my lifts. I thought I would be making tons of shakes and stuff but the fact was I felt like such **** the first few days I just slept. But it wasnt 3 days before I was eating solid food. More like 5 or so..
    Same here. I went into it thinking I would just pound back shakes but it didn't really work out like that. I felt like absolute **** for a good 6-7 days and didn't really eat a whole lot of anything. For a couple months after, it was a pain in the ass eating some foods because of the holes in the back of my mouth.

Everyone has a different experience. Some people are completed unaffected, and then some people like me get ridiculous sinus complications, puffy cheeks, and a week-long pounding headache. At least I didn't get dry sockets, though. Good lord.