The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

working out sick with a cold and then some...?

i've got upper respiratory tract infection.. which is basically like a cold with a tad bit of asthma and coughing out phlegm. i'm usually ok in about a week. i'm taking antibiotics to fix it..amoxicillin.

u guys reckon it would be ok if i hit the gym 3x or 2x this week real quick so i dont lag behind my lifts? like TUE - squat 5x5 and then THU - flat bench 5x5 then SAT - deads 5x5... just those exercises.

i reckon i can hack it. or is getting an early night a better idea?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    If your downtime will only be a week or so I'd say rest up. There will most likely be a few benefits and reasons not to work out while afflicted. First, your illness will heal up much quicker and probably better if you do not stress your body through working out. Next, because of your illness your lifts will most likely not be performed as well as they would be if your body were in a healthy state. Along with those others things if you have consistently been working very hard in the weightroom a week for your muscles to rest usually ends up with your body feeling much more refreshed and energetic. Finally after taking a few days off I want nothing more to get back into the weight room.

Take the week off, heal up, get pumped, and tear it up when your ready.

On the other hand though if you're feeling exceptionally well on a day and you want nothing more, go for a workout.

Stay out of the gym. Jeez, the number of times I've probably gotten sick from some guy hacking up a lung while he lifts next to me are ridiculous.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferich View Post
    Next, because of your illness your lifts will most likely not be performed as well as they would be if your body were in a healthy state.
    Actually, and I forget the reason behind it, you're supposed to be stronger when you're sick than when you're not.

I've heard that antibiotics weaken your tendons, so maybe lifting while on them is a bad idea. I'm sure I remember hearing that, but I can't remember if the source was credible. I'm also not sure if it was all antibiotics. You might want to look into it.

A couple weeks ago I felt like I had a minor cold. I had a very mild sore throat and just felt a little sick for a few days. I proceeded to train, and a couple hours later I had a fever of 102.5, chills, sweats, aches - the flu. Obviously, working out can't turn a cold into a flu, but it might have given the flu the opportunity it needed to take over. You haven't experienced muscle soreness until you've experienced it on the flu.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Training while sick is usually a bad idea. Training can depress the immune system which in turn can allow the illness to get a firmer grip on your body. Take a few days off. Being behind in your lifts by a couple of days will not matter much in the long run.

Take a chill pill and get some rest.
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

thanks for the reply guys.

i thought i could hack it a while ago but then i got a fever. i'm taking the week off. couldnt lift even if i wanted to. feel like crap.

how on earth does Michael Jordan drop 38pts on Utah with a fever?!....amazing.

Because he is the greatest basketball player ever and has willpower and determination that anyone on this board could not even fathom.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

If you are sick, stay the f**** out of my gym!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I haven't been to the gym since last Monday because I'm sick. It is better to rest up, take some time off, let your body and muscles heal, then to have a long nagging sickness because you tried to work through it. Working out is very rough on all your body systems.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123 View Post
    Actually, and I forget the reason behind it, you're supposed to be stronger when you're sick than when you're not.

I've heard that antibiotics weaken your tendons, so maybe lifting while on them is a bad idea. I'm sure I remember hearing that, but I can't remember if the source was credible. I'm also not sure if it was all antibiotics. You might want to look into it.
    It's fluoroquinolones. Right now, the literature is pointing to a "correlation" and a really remote chance, like 1 in a million.

But if you're sick enough to be on antibiotics, you don't want to be pushing it and running the risk of the infection not getting better and turning into something worse, like pneumonia.