The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Muscle Group Combinations...Training Plans

After recently posting my first questions on this site a week ago someone replied that I should read through the articles on the site first. I've done this and learned a lot and have plenty of new ideas (great site with some excellent articles and debates). I would like to ask a question (or questions about routines and specifically which excercises to combine (or not combine) and why.

Firstly I plan to follow a routine based on DC/Doggcrap/dante concept I found on this forum from a few years back. Not sure if its the best, but its the one that makes most sense to me. Doggcrap recommends the following:

monday=chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness
    wednesday=biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads
    friday-repeat of mondays bodyparts
    monday-repeat of wenesdays bodyparts

So with all body parts split into 2 workouts. I plan to do the following

monday = Back, Shoulders, Forearms, Abs
    wednesday = Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Legs
    friday = repeat of mondays bodyparts
    Sunday = repeat of wenesdays bodyparts

Dogcrapps method involves low volume, single set, high intensity workouts.

My question is 'Can the Body-Part split I mentioned above work ok?', It is different to the recommended one. Can I do Chest and then arms in one workout? Can I do Back and then shoulders in one workout?

I always used to do Back and Biceps for example, but found that after doing back that my biceps were quite worn out, and that they wouldnt get a full workout....therefore decided to sepearte back and biceps.

The reason I have tried to vear away from Doggcraps exact routine is that I dont like the idea of doing chest, shoulders, triceps, and back in one workout (even if it is for one set per exercise).

Any views on this and my thinking here would be most welcome.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Personally I don't like your routine and would not do it. Posting the workouts you actually perform on Monday and Wednesdays will help people to give you a better opinion however.

So he recommends basically upper body on monday, lower body on tuesday.

Seems fine.

Your interpretation is fine, too.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Heres the breakdown of the exercises I'm doing:

Workout 1:
    Back
    Dead Lifts
    Lat Pull downs
    Bent Over Rows
    Seated Rows

shoulders
    Shoulder Press
    Horizontal Raises
    Lateral Raises
    Shrugs

Forearms
    Forearm Curls

Abs
    incline weighted sit-ups
    + 1 or 2 other (undecided)

workout 2 (2 days later)
    Chest
    Bench Press
    Incline Press
    Pec Deck

Biceps
    Barbell Curls
    Seated dumbell curls
    Concentration Curls

Triceps
    Pulldowns
    close grip benches

Legs
    Squats
    Leg Curls
    Leg Exrtension

Based on the routine I read about from DoggCrap Im pretty sure that most of this is fine. Just want to be sure that im not making any mistakes following my own muscle-group split ideas. e.g Deadlifts one day and squats 2 days later (is this ok). e.g. Chest one day (inc shoulder focused incline presses) and then shoulders 2 days later.

If you do the same number of lifts for biceps as legs, you need to revisit your routine.

How long have you been training?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Im basically doing the same for every set, which is 1 or 2 warmups (10-15 reps at about 70%), then moving up to the 1st main set (which is 4-10 reps to failure on heaviest weight I can), and then with a short 30 second rest I drop down one weight and do the 2nd set to failure (5-10 reps).
    As soon as I achieve 10 reps on the 1st main set when I next do that exercise I add weight (bringing it down to approx 4-6 reps). As soon as Im able to get to 10 reps on that weight I add more weight (and continue to repeat).

Whilst I've worked out in the past (several years ago), I've currently been working out for 1 month.

Less is more.

That really seems like a lot of work, I've been in your position and worked with a similar routine...but I never saw the gains I'm seeing now, and on a daily basis I'm doing a lot less in terms of exercises. If you really want to go ahead with that routine, then I would recommend splitting it into two workouts per day. 2 muscle groups in the morning, and two in the evening.

Let me give you an example of why your routine could be counter-productive, on your day 2, you're gonna be doing Isolation Tri work and Chest. If you do Tris before chest, your chest workout wont be that good compared to if you only did chest. And vice versa.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Wannabebig Member
    Lakeripple, I like the idea of splitting some exercises in a day. I have a home gym so it does become easier. Taking the example you used I could do the Isolation Tri work in the morning and the rest of the exercises in the evening(or even take the tri work out and do just this in the day in between the 2 main workouts).

I've not heard of this solution before. Is it common practice? Has anyone else got any positive views on splitting workouts into 2 in a day.