The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Leg Press Head Injury

So Saturday I was doing leg press supersetting it with ext when on the last set of my leg press I was pushing with everything Ive got when the back of my head just started throbbing! I had this happen a few months ago, so I chilled for a few minutes hoping it would go away. Well I had to leave since the pain never stopped. So I went home just put an ice pack on it and it felt better, ready for monday. So I go in today and I went to do incline bench, first set of the day, when as soon as I was pushing it my head started THROBBING LIKE CRAZYYY!!! It hurt so bad, I have neverrr in my life felt a pain so bad. So I went home took 600mg of ibuprofen and laid down. Now, an hour later it still kind of hurts.

So what do you think i should do to rid me of this STUPID GOD FORSAKEN !@#$@#$)@(*#&%)@#$!@)#$& HEAD injury? Should I take some more days off? I reallllllly do not want to take off. And usually I jsut push threw the pain or injuries, but if this pain keeps coming back theres no way I would be able to lift through it. Thanks for the help

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Dude you should see a doctor big time. I can't imagine anything in your head pulling. The only thing I could think of is if you over exerted yourself and popped a blood vessel or something. But if you are having severe head problems from lifting you should have it checked out for sure. This would scare me enough to go to the doctor especially with the pain your going through.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Wannabebig Member
    ^Definitely^

Same **** happened to me when I started CrossFit. Went to the doctor, did some bloodwork. Never called saying something was wrong but I took two weeks off from exercise. Never came back.

Also he gave me a date for a CT Scan but I never went. I might be dieing.
    Last edited by markdk86; 02-18-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Well, you probably got your internal pressure up way too high and popped something in or around your head/neck area. I would see a physician and definitely not lift heavy in the mean time. Don't **** around with issues involving your neck and head.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Dude, BREATHE when you lift! When pressure builds up, bad things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    Dude, BREATHE when you lift! When pressure builds up, bad things happen.
    Yeah your supposed to exhale as you push. Not hold it.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

You gotta breathe one and then the two, two and then three, and then u gotta breathe!!!!!
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

yep, weren't breathing right. I had this happen before while still in college. It will go away after a week or so, but seeing a doctor is not bad advice. Actually, it is quite sound, go do it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    yeah i know thats what was weird, because the first time it ever happened to me I wasnt breathing right and since then i started breathing the right way. this time i was breathing the right way though

yeah i think it was just forcin wayyy to much blood and i might of popped a blood vessel

Is 15 Now...
    I did that, only the pain was in my leg about a month ago. I agree with these guys, go to the doctor, and I'd probably lay of the weights for a few days. BTW, how much were you pressing? I guess I did it once about a week later leg pressing too. I was trying to see my max and had it being filmed. I'd say probably 3 times the recommended dose of ibuprofen too.
    Last edited by Im14SoWut; 02-18-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Remembered something

Wannabebig Member
    Was your head flat against the pad through the entire press motion? Pain in the back of the neck and head like that can also be a sprain/strain of the neck muscles. I'd definitely follow up with a doctor on it, but along with the ibuprofen, ice it like you'd ice any other muscle strain.

If you feel any sort of dizziness, numbness, tingling, ringing in your ears or you get nauseous, you need to see a doctor right away.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Im14SoWut View Post
    I did that, only the pain was in my leg about a month ago. I agree with these guys, go to the doctor, and I'd probably lay of the weights for a few days. BTW, how much were you pressing? I guess I did it once about a week later leg pressing too. I was trying to see my max and had it being filmed. I'd say probably 3 times the recommended dose of ibuprofen too.

i was only doing 460x15, it got really hard at the 12th set so i pushin like crazyy, i never tryed my max on press i got 385x2 on deads though the other day i was so stoked and im only 175, thanks for the help though you guys

Wannabebig Member
    yeah I really really did not want to go to the doc - i havnt been to a doc in forever - but i just got back from the doctor and i had to have a freakin spinal tap done to make sure i didnt have an anerism or whatever - cam back negative so i am so stoked but i still have to take a freakin week off or so so that SUCKS - yeah i am def going to be breathing better though from now on - thanks for the help you guys

Get a proper Active Release Therapist to do work on it.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by bas2178 View Post
    Was your head flat against the pad through the entire press motion?
    This is exactly the problem... keep you chin off your chest at ALL times during leg press. I would probably bet money on it.

Go for Chiro, but more importantly some A.R.T. and maybe even some accupuncture to heals thins up quicker. You'll be fine in a few weeks.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Happened to me doing the same thing. Take a few weeks off, you'll be fine. High blood pressure caused it.
    6' 1" 225lbs 24 years old

Starting a serious cut.

I had the same thing happen with DB press. I was done with my set and instead of squatting down like I normally do to place the weight on the ground, I bent over. The weight started pulling me and for whatever dumbass reason I resisted and pulled some thing in my neck. This caused a pulsing headache from hell, and it pretty much leveled me for the next day. After 48 hrs I felt ~ok, so I went to the gym, first rep of second set of DB press, same thing happened, so I stopped lifting for about a month and all is almost well now.

I would definately advise you to seek medical attention..I went through about three weeks of non stop pulsing headaches that affected my school work a great deal..not to mention it just SUCKED to have a headache like that for that long...take care of yourself..dont make it worse by ignoring it like I did.
    Last edited by borracho; 02-22-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Someone didn't whack you in the back of the head and you didn't realise did they?

Seriously, get that checked out.

Reading this post makes me cringe as I remember having this happen a couple of times (on leg press just like you). Take a week off and you'll be fine. I will tell you, I certainly focus on my breathing when doing leg press these days!! Not going through that crap ever again.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

Jack Burton - Owner of the Pork Chop Express

I know what exactly what your problem is, and I'm actually surprised that your the first person on this site to complain of this problem. It's actually a very common problem, and for most people this is a chronic problem that is rarely properly diagnosed...

In the neck, the base of the skull rests on bones called the atlas masses, which fix the skull to the first cervical vertebrae. The atlas masses are actually extremely tiny when you imagine the weight that they support all day, they're about the size of the wishbone of a small chicken. Sometimes, these bones can actually become wedged up under the base of the skull and compresses the spinal cord. That's why your headache is so severe. Also, you probably will feel extremely week from head toe to with your head tilted back.

You need to see a good chiropractor to pop your neck. It's really that simple, and your headache will go away, just like that. So, do yourself a favor and see a chiropractor.
    Last edited by dougyp; 02-29-2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by dougyp View Post
    I know what exactly what your problem is, and I'm actually surprised that your the first person on this site to complain of this problem. It's actually a very common problem, and for most people this is a chronic problem that is rarely properly diagnosed...

In the neck, the base of the skull rests on bones called the atlas masses, which fix the skull to the first cervical vertebrae. The atlas masses are actually extremely tiny when you imagine the weight that they support all day, they're about the size of the wishbone of a small chicken. Sometimes, these bones can actually become wedged up under the base of the skull and compresses the spinal cord. That's why your headache is so severe. Also, you probably will feel extremely week from head toe to with your head tilted back.

You need to see a good chiropractor to pop your neck. It's really that simple, and your headache will go away, just like that. So, do yourself a favor and see a chiropractor.
    Thats cool.

I was under the impression this had more to do with unhealthy super tight levator scapulas that needed a release treatment.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

This seems to be a really common thing. There should really be some FAQ or sticky in the General Health forum about this...

The guys here are right, sounds exactly like an exertion headache. Info on my experience can be found here: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=25955