Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 day a week workout.

Always learning

6 day a week workout.

So I am doing a 6 day a week workout. I've been doing it for a few weeks, and was wondering how I can improve it. I want to hit all the major muscles twice a week, either by improving this workout or switching to a upper lower 4 day split. So here it is, any thoughts as to how I can slim it down but still hit all the majors? Also, yes this is one of Arnold's routines. Since routines are not one size fits all, I think it can be tweaked into something awesome. Reps are negoatiable. I want to keep them in the 6-8 range, but i'm not 100% sure how to set them. I've been doing 8-7-6 reps with the majority of these exercises.

Day #1/4:

Bench Press
    Incline Press
    Pullovers
    Chinups (5 sets of 10)
    Bent Over Rows
    Reverse Crunches

Day # 2/5:

Barbell clean & press
    Dumbbell Lateral Raises (front and side)
    Upright Rows
    Push Press
    Standing Barbell Curls
    3 part dumbbell curls
    Close grip press (not a fan of these, id like to isolate the tris instead)
    Standing tri extension with barbell
    Wrist Curls
    Reverse Wrist Curls
    Crunches

Day # 3/6:

Squats Lunges
    Leg Curls
    Standing Calf Raises
    Straight Legged Deadlifts
    Goodmornings

Thoughts?
    Last edited by LilHillbilly; 03-19-2008 at 11:32 AM.

My thoughts: way too much. Way too crappy second/fifth day.

Here's a way to the same thing in 4 days, so you will TRIPLE your rest:

Day 1: Upper
    Day 2: Lower, posterior chain
    Day 3: Off
    Day 4: Upper
    Day 5: Lower, posterior chain
    Days 6,7: Off

This puts at least three days between groups and also has three complete days off.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Always learning
    Yea I was liking the idea of having a upper/lower type of split. I would need help setting it up though.

I would take a look at BGB. I have been using it for quite some time. It is a 4-day push/pull split. Hits every muscle once directly and once indirectly.

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/...baby-got-back/

Always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    I would take a look at BGB. I have been using it for quite some time. It is a 4-day push/pull split. Hits every muscle once directly and once indirectly.
    I want upper lower, not push pull though. I want to hit each muscle directly twice a week.

No chest exercises??

My 4 day:

Day 1
    Flat Bench 4x6
    JS Rows 4x6
    Military press or statnding Arnie press 2x8
    Dips ss with abs 2x8

Day 2:
    Squat 4x6
    SLDL 4x6
    Lunges 2x8
    DB Shrug ss with calves 2x8

Day 3:
    Incline Bench 4x6
    Chins 4x6
    DB Bench 2x8
    Seated row ss with abs 2x8
    Hammer curls 2x8

Day 4:
    DL 8x1 or 2
    GM 4x6
    Weighted hypers 2x8
    BB Shrugs ss with calves 2x8
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey170 View Post
    No chest exercises??
    Yes of course. On day 1 is the direct hit...and then you can get another hit on DL day or when you do CGB.

Another 4 day example, keep in mind I work a 3 day, 3 night, 3 day off rotation so I designed my schedule around not working out on the day shifts.

Day 1
    Bench press 4x6-10 (increasing weight, decreasing reps)
    Pullovers 2x8
    Cable Flys 3x8-10
    Dead Lift 1x5
    Bent over row 3x6

Day2
    Squat 3x5
    SLDL 3x8
    OH Press 3x6-8
    Lateral Raise 3x8
    Rear delts (something)

On each day I do some ab work and light direct arm work, curls, french press, etc. I repeat this cycle 3 times, take my 3 days off and go again.

Quote Originally Posted by MNRob View Post
    Another 4 day example, keep in mind I work a 3 day, 3 night, 3 day off rotation so I designed my schedule around not working out on the day shifts.

Day 1
    Bench press 4x6-10 (increasing weight, decreasing reps)
    Pullovers 2x8
    Cable Flys 3x8-10
    Dead Lift 1x5
    Bent over row 3x6

Day2
    Squat 3x5
    SLDL 3x8
    OH Press 3x6-8
    Lateral Raise 3x8
    Rear delts (something)

On each day I do some ab work and light direct arm work, curls, french press, etc. I repeat this cycle 3 times, take my 3 days off and go again.
    this is not very good either... premade full body routines would be the way to go if this was your situation.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-19-2008 at 03:46 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    this is not very good either... premade full body routines would be the way to go if this was your situation.
    Working great for myself so far. Keeps me in the gym every day, plenty of rest between body parts (shoulders get hit a little harder but they seem to be taking it just fine).

I tried the full body routine didn't like it, felt way too burned out when I got done. The above is basically that routine split over two days. I feel much better and have been making better gains with my lifts.

Yes of course. On day 1 is the direct hit...and then you can get another hit on DL day or when you do CGB.
    oh crap. im an idiot i just completely missed that part. I gotta get a new routine does that one work well?

Always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    My 4 day:

Day 1
    Flat Bench 4x6
    JS Rows 4x6
    Military press or statnding Arnie press 2x8
    Dips ss with abs 2x8

Day 2:
    Squat 4x6
    SLDL 4x6
    Lunges 2x8
    DB Shrug ss with calves 2x8

Day 3:
    Incline Bench 4x6
    Chins 4x6
    DB Bench 2x8
    Seated row ss with abs 2x8
    Hammer curls 2x8

Day 4:
    DL 8x1 or 2
    GM 4x6
    Weighted hypers 2x8
    BB Shrugs ss with calves 2x8

I can defentally see this being close to what I want. I'll switch up a few exercises and post what I come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by LilHillbilly View Post
    So I am doing a 6 day a week workout. I've been doing it for a few weeks, and was wondering how I can improve it. I want to hit all the major muscles twice a week, either by improving this workout or switching to a upper lower 4 day split. So here it is, any thoughts as to how I can slim it down but still hit all the majors? Also, yes this is one of Arnold's routines. Since routines are not one size fits all, I think it can be tweaked into something awesome. Reps are negoatiable. I want to keep them in the 6-8 range, but i'm not 100% sure how to set them. I've been doing 8-7-6 reps with the majority of these exercises.

Day #1/4:

Bench Press
    Incline Press
    Pullovers
    Chinups (5 sets of 10)
    Bent Over Rows
    Reverse Crunches

Day 1/4 seems good

Day # 2/5:

Barbell clean & press
    Upright Rows
    Push Press
    Standing Barbell Curls
    3 part dumbbell curls
    Close grip press (not a fan of these, id like to isolate the tris instead)
    Wrist Curls
    Reverse Wrist Curls
    Crunches

Cut out the upright rows and put the db lateral raises after your push press. Also consider changing the clean and press to just a clean since you are doing push press afterwards.

Wrist curls/Reverse Wrist Curls can be cut but do them if you like them.

Day # 3/6:

Squats Lunges
    Leg Curls
    Standing Calf Raises
    Goodmornings

Put the goodmornings either first or second in your workout. Do leg curls after SL deadlifts. Consider cutting out the leg curls and doing extra sets of the SL Deadlifts or the goodmornings.
    Thoughts?
    As long as you are progressing and improving stick with what works until it stops working. The fact that you are benching/rowing, doing cleans and push presses, squats and goodmornings twice a week is good.

Always learning
    Hmm, I just might keep it if it can be cleaned up to where it flows better.

It is a pretty heavy load though. I was hoping to put it into a 4 day split still doing all those exercises twice a week. Just so I am able to get more rest between days.

Also, I forgot to include the deadlifts on the first and third day.
    Last edited by LilHillbilly; 03-19-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Always learning
    Day #1/4:

Bench Press
    Incline Press
    Pullovers
    Chinups (5 sets of 10)
    Shrugs
    One Arm Rows
    Deadlift
    Reverse Crunches

Day # 2/5:

Push Press
    Standing Barbell Curls
    3 part dumbbell curls
    Tricep Pushdown
    Wrist Curls
    Reverse Wrist Curls
    Crunches

Day # 3/6:

Goodmornings
    Squats
    Lunges
    Standing Calf Raises

I've got the big three in here, and I think I cover all the isolation I could want on my arms.

So why not condense this into 4 days? Something similar to what I suggested. You can add/delete whatever lifts you want. I would stay away from too much isolation work, but a few accessory lifts are ok. I mean, c'mon, do you really need two different types of wrist curls?

The reason my "split" is so abbreviated is that I was under a time constraint when I first started it.

Man my body would not do well with 6 days a week. Good luck with that.

Always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    So why not condense this into 4 days? Something similar to what I suggested. You can add/delete whatever lifts you want. I would stay away from too much isolation work, but a few accessory lifts are ok. I mean, c'mon, do you really need two different types of wrist curls?

The reason my "split" is so abbreviated is that I was under a time constraint when I first started it.

The two wrist curls are to hit the seperate areas on your forearm. Each one only hits one side. I'm not sure how to make it a upper lower split that hits each muscle twice directly. Lower body is easy, but upper I am finding hard to combine the two days together to one day.
    Last edited by LilHillbilly; 03-20-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Always learning
    Workout A

Bench Press
    Pullovers
    Chinups (5 sets of 10)
    Shrugs
    Dumbbell Front Raise
    One Arm Rows
    Deadlift
    Standing Barbell Curls
    Tricep Pushdown
    Wrist Curls
    Crunches

Workout B

Goodmornings
    Squats
    Lunges
    Standing Calf Raises

Workout C

Incline Press
    Pullovers
    Push Press
    Shrugs
    Dumbbell Side Raise
    One Arm Rows
    Deadlift
    3 part dumbbell curls
    Reverse Wrist Curls
    Reverse Crunches

It would pretty much go A B rest C B rest rest. I just feel like I am leaving out something for my back, I know I have to be missing a major somewhere.

The reason I am using much more variation in my upper compared to my lower is my lower gains extremely easy. I only started working out my legs 2 months ago and they are already showing a significant size and strength increase. My upper does not work that way.

The two wrist curls are to hit the seperate areas on your forearm. Each one only hits one side. I'm not sure how to make it a upper lower split that hits each muscle twice directly. Lower body is easy, but upper I am finding hard to combine the two days together to one day.
    Until you are an advanced bodybuilder, I doubt you have to worry about hitting the tiny muscles directly. Your forearms will get hit pretty thoroughly with deadlifts, chins, rows. If you want to work them more, do towel hangs or farmer's walks.

If you are worried about your forearms getting hit from both sides, what aren't you focusing on the two parts of the calves (the soleus and gastros)?

Don't over-think this. Get your mind away from the muscle magazine mindset. Think in terms of movements, not muscles.

Always learning
    Oh I was just going by the feel when I do the two types of wrist curl. I have a problem of overthinking with everything I do haha. As long as I am hitting the majors, then i'm set.

Honestly the wirst curls are just something I like to do, like switching which exercise I do. I'm sure I want a 4 day split after looking at it on paper. I will still hit everything but give my body more rest. More rest will mean more gains i'm sure.

More rest will mean more gains i'm sure.
    Got that right! You grow OUTSIDE the gym, not INSIDE it.

Always learning
    I have to go buy a supplement to get the extra carbs, fat, and protien I need but I can see this being a good workout to go with.

Any final input is welcome. Also, I plan to go the 8 - 6 - 4 route with my reps.
    Last edited by LilHillbilly; 03-20-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Oh I was just going by the feel when I do the two types of wrist curl. I have a problem of overthinking with everything I do haha. As long as I am hitting the majors, then i'm set.

Honestly the wirst curls are just something I like to do, like switching which exercise I do. I'm sure I want a 4 day split after looking at it on paper. I will still hit everything but give my body more rest. More rest will mean more gains i'm sure.
    I think most beginners have this problem, and it's why so many quit so soon after starting. I did that in the past and just stopped lifting. Now I'm consciously trying to just do it instead of overanalyzing every little thing I do. Doing that just gets frustrating.