Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this legal?

Wannabebig Member

Is this legal?

Publishing someones personal cell phone info and/or home address on the internet. Can legal action be taken?

I doubt it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    +1 for good news.. Anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshark View Post
    +1 for good news.. Anyone know for sure?
    If you publish their address and tell random people to beat them up, someone shows up at his house as a result and assaults them, probably.

Just posting it on a forum randomly, no.

In either case you'd have to spend a ton of money trying to prove who posted the number. Money talks. If you don't have the dough to shell out on a good attorney, you have few civil rights.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    In either case you'd have to spend a ton of money trying to prove who posted the number. Money talks. If you don't have the dough to shell out on a good attorney, you have few civil rights.
    So true lol

Wannabebig Member
    Believe me when I say that there will be no need at all to ENCOURAGE violence nor would I EVER encourage violence against this person.. The information alone would be of very much interest though..

"In either case you'd have to spend a ton of money trying to prove who posted the number. Money talks. If you don't have the dough to shell out on a good attorney, you have few civil rights."

--So your saying this would work out to the advantage of the person who posts the info? Or the person of whom the information is posted?

Believe me when I say that there will be no need at all to ENCOURAGE violence nor would I EVER encourage violence against this person.. The information alone would be of very much interest though..

"In either case you'd have to spend a ton of money trying to prove who posted the number. Money talks. If you don't have the dough to shell out on a good attorney, you have few civil rights."

--So your saying this would work out to the advantage of the person who posts the info? Or the person of whom the information is posted?
    Even if this person knew that you posted his number, he'd have to prove that somehow-which would be extremely costly. A lawyer would have to get some sort of verification from the person who runs the forum/server, ip addresses etc...

If you just posted it and you didn't encourage violence or anything of that matter you're fine.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Legal action can be taken.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Legal action can be taken.
    Would you be willing to elaborate on this a little bit please?

Would you be willing to elaborate on this a little bit please?
    In America, you can sue someone for shooting you while in the process of breaking and entering. If you can do that, I guaran-damn-tee you they will be able to take legal action for posting that stuff on the internet.

Wannabebig Member
    In America, you can sue someone for shooting you while in the process of breaking and entering. If you can do that, I guaran-damn-tee you they will be able to take legal action for posting that stuff on the internet.
    ha, good point..

what are you trying to accomplish?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Legal action can be taken, but there are SO many ways around it...

For instance... cruize around till you find an unsecured wireless connection. Use that connection to post the crap on the internet and nothing can come back on you.

Unless you somehow tie it to your identy with like a myspace or something like that you have no good chance of getting caught.

You can sue someone for anything. I could sue you right now. There's a big misconception that people seem to have that if you sue someone, you automatically win. 99% of the time the stories you hear about the above scenario are fictional. There's a world of difference between filing a law suit and winning a law suit.

why are you posting peoples numbers online?

How old are you and what would this prove?
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    its not illegal at all, at least its highly doubtful. although as said earlier if you posted it with intent of harm, then i would assume legal action could be taken, but there is nothing against posting someones information online. There are tons of sites out there that are free to the public, that you can access any information about anyone. Just type in their name, it will bring up their address, last known phone number, and possibly more.

Kinda ironic that I just found out this 2 nights ago, and now your talking about it. I typed in my name on this site and my home address and number came right up. I think some other stuff to, but not sure on that. Kinda scary if ya ask me.
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

It is illegal and you can sue them if you want to pay for it.

Winning the suit depends on several things
    1) proving a veil of privacy was harmed, particularly if it was in a damaging way
    2) proving that the person who published it was aware you wanted it to remain private
    3) if that person had to go through specific effort to harm your privacy (if it's an automated process, your case gets hurt strongly) This shows malice
    4) proving that you gave no consent to make your personal information public
    5) where you sue
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

You can sue someone for anything. I could sue you right now. There's a big misconception that people seem to have that if you sue someone, you automatically win. 99% of the time the stories you hear about the above scenario are fictional. There's a world of difference between filing a law suit and winning a law suit.
    HahnB is right on.

You have to prove punitive damages, which I doubt there are any. If you want it removed, contact the site and 99.9% of the time it will be removed they don't want the headaches.

I have been in a few law suits in my time, all business related. In my case it is normally a breach of contract and lack of payment, and it is cut and dry and its still a battle to get a judgement and after that it is a nightmare trying to collect. After it is all said in done, you end up spending so much on legal fees and lost time talking about it, gathering info, and thinking about it.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the OP is the one who posted someone's #/address. And he's afraid of getting sued.

To the OP, technically you can be sued, but it's very unlikely that you will be. It's even less likely that, if you're sued, you will lose. Bottom line: It's not really worth worrying about.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    So, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the OP is the one who posted someone's #/address. And he's afraid of getting sued.

To the OP, technically you can be sued, but it's very unlikely that you will be. It's even less likely that, if you're sued, you will lose. Bottom line: It's not really worth worrying about.
    Yes, I mistook the context of the question, but my answer remains the same.
    I hope you don't get sued, but seriously, if you knowingly violated someones privacy, particularly if they can show you did it in malice (you did it to hurt them) then you could have problems.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Irrelevant. The OP asked if legal action could be taken, and I said it could. He'll still have to pay thousands of dollars of his own money, and have a huge headache. It doesn't matter if they win or not - just don't do it.

You have to be a real scumbag to post someones personal info on the internet without their knowledge.

We all make dumb mistakes. Just learn from the situation and never do it again.

Wannabebig Member
    wow, thanks for everyones answers... To clear things up, I have not yet posted the information, but I was asking in case I decided to.. The person that I would be posting the information about has screwed SOOO many (literally thousands) of people financialy for no small amount (anywhere from 1,000-50,000 dollars) and he did it purposely and knowingly. I was employed by this person until I left to go to a new company and he just informed me he has ZERO intention to pay me upwards of 6,000 dollars that he owes me as part of my salary. People are constantly asking me how to get in touch with him so they can get what is rightfully theirs, and this would be my opportunity to allow them to do that. It may be petty and kind of childish but the person deserves more than I could legally give him.. Anywho, I appreciate the info.. Still havent made my decision. The point I would be trying to make is, if you plan on ****ing people, at least keep the people near to you and employed by you happy. I know literally EVERYTHING about the guy. I have copy's of his keys, his alarm codes to his house and businesses, I'm friends with his children and more importantly the people that are bangin his daughters.. I've eaten dinner at his house, gone on vacation with the fam etc etc etc.. I'm not the person you would want to **** out of money simply because of everything I know. God-forbid a lawyer asks me questions about his business practices, I could bury the guy.. Straight to jail...

Is 15 Now...
    I was employed by this person until I left to go to a new company and he just informed me he has ZERO intention to pay me upwards of 6,000 dollars that he owes me as part of my salary.
    You should be able to take hime to court and get what he owes on your salary. That's really week to not pay your debts...