Thread: How to train for strongman comps

How to train for strongman comps

ok, I've been lifting for about 7 months now and have decided I would much rather do strength training, get into local strongman meets etc than bodybuilding.

I'm still confused about the whole low reps, high weight vs. high reps, lower weight thing. Which is better for strength training, or switch up between the two?

What routine should I look into? Right now I'm doing a body region a day to keep my gym time to approx 45 min. E.g. Mon, Chest; Wed, Back; Thurs, legs etc.... I'm sure this isn't ideal but what do others think about this?

I've heard nothing but great things about Rippetoe's book, Library doesn't carry it so I'll be buying it soon.

Implementing Olympic lifts into my workout routine should be a must too right? I've never done any before but will look into them.

All and any advice greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by fpr; 02-19-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    ok, I've been lifting for about 7 months now and have decided I would much rather do strength training, get into local strongman meets etc than bodybuilding.

I'm still confused about the whole low reps, high weight vs. high reps, lower weight thing. Which is better for strength training, or switch up between the two?

What routine should I look into? Right now I'm doing a body region a day to keep my gym time to approx 45 min. E.g. Mon, Chest; Wed, Back; Thurs, legs etc.... I'm sure this isn't ideal but what do others think about this?

I've heard nothing but great things about Rippetoe's book, Library doesn't carry it so I'll be buying it soon.

Implementing Olympic lifts into my workout routine should be a must too right? I've never done any before but will look into them.

All and any advice greatly appreciated.
    Just my .02.

I'm on a program that Rhodes designed for me utilizing ME and DE (max effort, dynamic effort) days. Basically monday is DE bench, tuesday is DE squat, thursday is ME bench, friday is ME squat. On the main movements of each day, the reps are kept low, while the supplementary work is higher reps. Heres an example. Yesterday was DE bench so I did 5 sets of 3 reps using ~50% of my 1 rep max. After I finished those sets I moved onto Military press where I did 4x10, using weight that forces me to really grind out those last few reps. On max effort squat day, for example, I would work up to between a 1 and 5 rep max (depending on what I did the session before), then something like good mornings or sumo pulls, ending with pull throughs and abs.

When I asked Rhodes for advice, I told him i'm going to be competing at some point this year (powerlifting), gaining weight, and using equipment (squat suit and bench shirt).

I'm sure some of the more experienced members will help you out even more.
    Last edited by Detard; 02-19-2008 at 10:52 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

So basically you're doing a day of lower weight, high reps; and a day of heavy weight, lower reps?

I think my weakest point is my shoulders. I'm only doing like 115lbs standing military press for reps. Although I haven't been working shoulders in probably over a month (at least not military press) because I do a fair amount of benching and lat raises. Detard are you doing any oly lifts?

First read this
    http://ontariostrongman.ca/Resources...ic_primer.html

I have competed in a strongman competition so I might have some good advice.

Whatever you're doing in the gym is probably fine, focus on getting stronger in squats, deadlifts, and overhead press, and develop your explosive power. I personally used low reps when I was training, as they're the best for strength.

The key to success in strongman is training with equipment. You can be one strong mofo but you'll fail when you try to press a log in a contest if you've never done it before. Find local strongmen in your area and see if you can train with them. Most will say yes. Post on www.marunde-muscle.com forum and ask about groups in your area.

You also need good conditioning. Do complexes, farmer's walks, springs, sledgehammer swinging, etc. Try to get conditioning done with strongman implements.

Also, make sure your grip strength is up to par.

PM bearwolf, he has some awesome info about training strongman and powerlifting/strongman combination training.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    There are a couple of articles on Elite Fitness about this.

Basically you will be focusing alot more on your pulls and overhead than benching and squatting. Benching helps your overhead to a point, but I found board pressing from 3board up helped alot more than actual benching. For squatting I typically do a heavy squat variation and then a front or olympic squat as accessory. Here is how my plan is laid out. I'm not the expert, but it's been successful for the past few years.

Tues
    Overhead/Bench Auxillary

Overhead movement up to a heavy single, triple or 5
    Heavy tricep movement (boards or closegrips) - 3-4x5
    Upper back work - chins or pulldowns
    Accessory Biceps and Triceps
    Prehab Shoulders

Thursday
    ME Squat/Squat Auxillary/Rep Low Back

Heavy Box or other Squat Variation to Single, triple or 5
    Backoff set of 15-20
    Alternate Front Squats/Olympic Squats every other week - 3-5x5
    Rows - 3-4x8-10
    GHR
    Rev Hyper
    Abs

Saturday
    ME DL/Events

ME DL Movement to heavy triple/single/5 (could be pulls standing on blocks, from floor, diff heights rack pulls, gm's)
    3-4 events 3-5 sets each depending on the show I have coming up.

On off days is when I hit other muscles like calves, biceps and triceps for rep/prehab work. Cardio is your friend - get used to some type of HIT or sled dragging for distances. You need to work your lungs under a load. I do this stuff on my off days as well.

That's the quick and dirty

Any questions, just ask, but this has worked for me for a few years now.
    Last edited by Ben Moore; 02-20-2008 at 03:52 PM.