The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

anyone been flagged at airport security...

... for bringing their weightlifting gear?

I'm flying to florida tonight and I don't want to pay the $15 to check my bag. I'll be taking my bands, wrist wraps and belt, along with protein powder, carb powder then the usual clothes/shoes etc..

Has this caused an issue with anyone in the past with the weightlifting gear?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've heard of bad experiences with powder substances. I doubt they'll let you carry on a bag with powders these days. Before things were so restrictive on carry on rules, I heard of someone having the ziploc bag holding their chalk explode open. They were detained until the dogs were brought in.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Banned
    I can only speak from my experiences, I've never had any trouble with any lifting gear itself, but with powders you may be taking your chances of some hassle, depending on which TSA employees you get. I brought loose powder in labeled tupperware containers the last two times I flew and I got through fine. You're probably safer using individual pre-packaged packets of protein powder if you can, but I tend to chance things like that.

few years ago coming back from the Arnold, I purchased a kettlebell, and when that went thru X-ray machine you can imagine what it must have looked like on screen (a bomb for sure)
    Yeah they pulled me aside for questioning, after explaining i was at the Arnold Expo and bought this cast iron bowling ball thing that's good for building strength and muscle, well they understood.

I always "carry on" my lifting gear when flying to a meet. I got surrounded by TSA security after they saw my Toro lever bench belt in my bag with their scanners. They didn't know what the lever was. After a thurough search, they advised me to take the belt out of the gear bag prior to going through security. I never take any protein, chalk or other supps in my gear bag. You're just asking for a hassle. They will have chalk at the meet.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    ... for bringing their weightlifting gear?

I'm flying to florida tonight and I don't want to pay the $15 to check my bag. I'll be taking my bands, wrist wraps and belt, along with protein powder, carb powder then the usual clothes/shoes etc..

Has this caused an issue with anyone in the past with the weightlifting gear?
    I have never had problems traveling with equipment.

Your best bet is to only bring what you absolutely need though. Just a belt/wrist wraps/clothes should be fine. Don't worry about bands and chalk.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Are you guys able to get a gear bag (im assuming a small dufflebag) along with your luggage onto the plane? Im going home in a few weeks and want to take my wraps, belt, etc with me but was wondering if I should pick up a small bag for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Are you guys able to get a gear bag (im assuming a small dufflebag) along with your luggage onto the plane? Im going home in a few weeks and want to take my wraps, belt, etc with me but was wondering if I should pick up a small bag for them.
    As long as it fits the carry-on size you'll be fine.

FWIW, I've never had a problem bringing lifting stuff on a plane. I had to when i went to WABDL Worlds a couple years ago and had protein powders, chalk, etc. and had no trouble.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I just traveled and they did some tests on my thing of salt that i was using to rinse my mouth out, I also had protein powders which they just did a seperate xray on but didn't do the chemical tests with.

No problems for me, went all through Asia with two 4lb tubs of protein and lots of Vitamins etc.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Okla.2A State Track Champs weasel's Avatar
    I didn't have any issues when I flew back from MN to Oklahoma. I had a large duffel bag of pure lifting things (pills,powders,gloves,wraps,asthma inhalers,even a harness to pull trucks,etc...) and it passed same as my normal bag. Only thing I didn't bring was my B12(bottles and needles I figured were pushing my luck). and I know they didn't test hardly any if anything due to While there I had bought quite a bit of stuff still sealed and arrived in OK. everything still same way as packed and bottles/tubs still sealed.

I flew frontier by the way.
    “Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself.” - Robert Collier

I've been flagged EVERY SINGLE TIME, though I carry a bunch of weird crap - belts, powders, grippers (this one always confuses them). I've always gotten through with my powder cause they can look at me see I'm just a goofy looking american white boy with muscles. One time I almost got in trouble for bringing a 60D nail on board though. I use my weightlifting bag to store all of my **** in at home, so I just forgot to take it out when I went on a trip, even though i haven't bent anything in about a year. They searched my bag 3 times before they finally found it. That one took some explaining! I was worried they were going to ask me to bend it as proof (luckily my wraps were still on my bag) which would have been a feat cause I hadn't bent anything in awhile. Luckily they believed me and it was crowded so they just waved me along!
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Last year I went on vacation and I carried creatine and protein in my bag with no problems. They weren't in the original containers either they were in ziplocs.

The lever weight belt always draws their attention.

I just traveled to Vegas from Nashville and carried on 8 ziplock bags containing RESULTS and protein and no one said anything. In fact my friend carried on a fullsize tube of toothpaste, a full deoderant stick, and a full sized tube of acne medication, all of which were well over 3 oz, and no one stopped him. Kinda scacry, IMO.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Thanks for all the input guys.. I didn't even think about the toothpaste.. My wife was bothering me about bringing my protein/results/carbs on board and then she says I should be fine with my shaving razor.. lmao..

Anyways, I carried on with a large tupperware of protein, my tub of results and my tub of twinlabs carbs.. I also got on with a full thing of toothpaste as well as my mach 3 razor.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Only time I had a problem was when I had ammonia in the bag. One time a Russian vial of REALLY strong stuff, other time just the caps. Both times ended in the full search line. The TSA aren't very smart, but they do clamp on the
    things they know or have been trained to be alert to. Known chemicals
    like ammonia is a big no-no.
    Meet Bests: 920/562/756/2216
    IPA World Record Total 275 M2 - 2125
    APF American Record Dead 275 M2 - 756
    APF American Record Dead 308 M2 - 745
    APF American Record Squat 308 M2 - 920
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216