The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Workout tips. Looking for some feedback

Hey whatsup all, HUGE WALL OF TEXT INCOMING. I've been looking for some feedback on my workout and just wanted general advice on things to add or change. Any constructive feedback is welcome

right now i've been lifting seriously since september and i've been taking creatine since jan (just ordered protein since i have poor eating habbits). My goal is to add muscle mass,

I'm 21 right now, 5'7 138lbs. i've always been slim and cut since i wrestled at 119 senior year and 112 and 103 in previous seasons. I have good strength for my size, but to be honest i dont want to compare myself to my dimensions, i want to be able to stack up against anyone/ taking it to the next level. i realize i have to increase my calorie intake and i'm working on that now.

i have a workout cycle that spans 3 days divided into day 1 (chest).... day2 (back shoulders.. legs(maybe) day3 is bi's and tri's. then i just repeat the cycle.

i can bench 185 a solid 3 sets of 10 reps but i usually start out smaller and end up at about 190... i do a warm up set of just 145 do the 3 sets then immed after the last i do 1 last set of 135 until about 15
    i incline 155 and can do 3 sets of 10... usually start at 135 and move up to 165 (only do about 8).
    After i do these 2 i'll move to a incline machine and to be honest i dont even know what to call it but i do 3 sets at 200lbs total. it sounds like a lot of weight but it isnt.
    then i end by doing 3 sets of pushups by doing about 25 15 and then 10. last set i'll pause when i get to the bottom

the next day i'll come in and do shoulder press using the bench bar (ie not the machine that ommits bar balance ect) and i'll start with 40 and end at around 45. i can do a strong 10 10 8 of 45s.
    I then move to do shoulder shrugs by focusing more on rolling my shoulders rather than simply lifting and i'll hold at the end of a 20 for extra effect (idk).
    then i move to the lat pole
    I'll then use the machine where you face away and pull down on handlebars that are far above your head down to your chest. (sorry i have no idea what the hell the names are so i figured id do my best to describe them)

then on the third day i come in and do
    4 sets of standing curls with the 70lb bar. then i do 1 set coming halfway up from full extension. and one set of halfway down from my neck.
    then i'll do 2 sets of free weights using 30s while seated in a slightly inclined possition.
    i'll then do skull crushers x 4 sets of 80.
    then i move to 2 sets of dips. taking 3/4 min breaks between because i go til fail
    then i'll grab a 45lb free weight and do tricep exercises by doing a full extension over my head and lowering it to the high back behind my neck. 1 arm at a time.

that is basically what i do per day. What i'm trying to avoid is hitting a wall simply because i'm not varying my workout, or since i honestly dont know other exercises. So if there are any i should do to extend my workout let me know. I have no problem staying longer than my usual 1hr. I find it fun and challenging.
    Are there things i need to add per day? (leg exercises not included)
    Are there things i need to skip or just ignore
    Do i need to be doing more sets/reps?

The only annoying for me at times is the fact that im making strength gains but it almost seems like i'm not making any gains on the scale. At times i see myself lifting quite a bit more than people larger and bigger than me, but i cant seem to make ever make those appearance gains. Is my diet just awful or does everyone on a college campus have water muscles?

Thanks in advance for anyone who read all this and helped out. Also I just want to say that my ultimate goal is to gain large amounts of muscle mass. I'm not someone who will look in the mirror and wish i could shed weight and get cut, i just want to get big. My ultimate goal is to be around 150lbs.

peace, d....... out

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you're not doing heavy squats and heavy deadlifts your routine is flawed.

Bro, First Legs are a MUST! Legs need to have there own day of training, they play a huge role in weight gaining and overall body strength.

You should hit 4 Exercises Per Body Part. Example Chest: Bench, Incline Press, Flat Flys, Dips... Or 4 Exercises of your choise.

I would also Hit two Body Parts a day, Like Chest n Tri's, Back n Bi's, Legs n Shoulders.

Your Reps Look good and so do your sets. Not sure what your doing for food, But I would recomend a Protein Shake 2 Times a Day. Something with hight Cals, Fat, Carbs, Prot. this will help you pack on the MASS you are looking for.

Good Luck bro!
    Ain't Nothin 2 It But 2 Do It!
    BPM Osgood
    605@178
    www.myspace.com/bpmosgood

BPM... I was alwasy told to only workout legs by themselves as the amount of blood you push into your legs makes it a moot point to do anything else on the same day. You seem to know what your talking about so I was hoping you could shed more light on the "legs n shoulders" workout. When I train legs I still do them alone, should I be doing something with them?
    GOALS:
    Current Weight 242 4/16/10
    Bench - 275 current / 315 Goal
    Squat - 225 / 285* Goal
    Deadlift - 325 current / 365* Goal
    *Note: Herniated L5/S1 disk since 2001, almost bone on bone.
    ***Journal***

I was alwasy told to only workout legs by themselves as the amount of blood you push into your legs makes it a moot point to do anything else on the same day.
    Where did you hear that?

I suggest you look at the routines on the site such as WBB, WBB1.1 or BGB.
    People use these because they work.
    Also remember that diet is usually regarded as - if not more - important than your routine.
    Last edited by MJay; 02-21-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Commute View Post
    BPM... I was alwasy told to only workout legs by themselves as the amount of blood you push into your legs makes it a moot point to do anything else on the same day. You seem to know what your talking about so I was hoping you could shed more light on the "legs n shoulders" workout. When I train legs I still do them alone, should I be doing something with them?
    Commute, I personaly would train Legs by themselfs As well, it is a major Bodypart! But where he doesnt want to do legs I thought that maybe this way he could get in a small leg workout in and then hit shoulders. This Way he is hitting total Body in 3 Workouts like he is doing now.
    Ain't Nothin 2 It But 2 Do It!
    BPM Osgood
    605@178
    www.myspace.com/bpmosgood

Wannabebig New Member
    thank a lot to everyone for the help. ya i've been getting back into legs, although slowly. i've bad 2 torn acls so i hate starting over on squats and dealing with soreness. thats why i kinda kept it out of my workout

Wannabebig New Member
    also i had one question. if i want to do heavy deadlift do i assign it to one particular day? or can i do it 2 out of the 3 workout days?