Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting his act together

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar

Getting his act together

Hello all. I've decided to start a new journal. I haven't been posting very much for almost a year now but I want to atleast start a new journal so I can better track my progress.

So a little update. I've been slacking off pretty badly the last few months as far as training goes. I've also hit a lot of "bumps" in the road of life that haven't really helped my lifting. However, this past month of the new semester by and large have been going very well as far as my commitment and intensity in the gym. One of the main things that I really slacked off on last semester was diet. As a consequence I've gained quite a bit of fat with a marginal amount of muscle/strength. I've decided to next week start a 3-4 week cut to get myself back from my slobbish state and into a more healthier bodyweight. I also want to use this time to figure out a more accurate estimation of my current 1RM lifts such as dead lifts, bench and squats. A good thing though that has come from last semester was my form in the squat which I've struggled with in the past. I can confidently say that I've been doing/hitting parallel on every squat that I do.

Also this journal is simply for me to record my numbers in. I appreciate criticism and helpful advice but I will probably not be able to return the favor as much as I've done in the past (so please don't take offense).
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

So anyways. I'd like to outline my upcoming PSMF.

Consuming 1000-1200 calories.
    Workouts are 3 times a week
    Cardio will be HIIT once a week
    Supplements will be creatine, fish oil and a multi.
    About 200g protein with minimal carbs and fat
    Category 2 dieter so two free meals a week

Diet will include..
    Egg whites
    Protein powder (majority of food)
    tuna
    Vegetables
    Diet soda, water and coffee
    Very rarely lean chicken since they don't serve it much

Finally my goal is to lose 15-20lbs and find out my current 1RM.
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

So my first day of my new PSMF. It has been going very well. My diet has been pretty spot on considering I'm getting alot of my food from my school cafeteria.

Diet
    3 egg whites (hard boiled)
    3 oz tuna (water packed)
    1-2 tbsp of fat free ranch
    2 big salads, leafy greens, onions, tomatoes etc.
    6 scoops nitrean
    Diet soda, water, coffee with splenda and light cream

So my diet has been pretty perfect today. Very happy about that.

Workout

DB Bench

85x3
    90x2
    95x2

Incline bench
    145x5
    160x5
    170x5

Concentration curls
    50x5
    50x5
    50x4

Tricep pulldown
    90x6
    90x6
    90x6

Situps
    3x15

Really good workout today. Punished the weight and I'm really glad at my bench because I was worried it would be alot lower. Not far from what I want to be pushing (Two 100lb DB'sx3). Workout was intense the whole time. The only complaint is my right arm tendon was giving me some trouble but I think thats because I haven't maxed out in a while. Good day to start off.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Good luck man

Thanks alot WBB.

Anyways. Today is no activity and sort of a rest day. Tomorrow I'm doing max squat or max dead lift.

Diet
    8 oz water packed tuna
    2 large salads
    Diet soda, coffee (light cream/splenda)
    9 egg whites
    1-2 TBSP fat free ranch
    A dash of fat free cheese

This is my first meal of the day I'll update as it goes on.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 02-26-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Today, diet has been great. Had a beer last night but just one so no big deal. Also today after my workout I decided to use a free meal and had a sub, chips and a regular drink. It was pretty good.

Max Squat

185x3
    225x2
    260x1

SLDL
    225x5
    285x3
    275x3

Calf raises
    225x6
    275x6
    275x6

Leg extensions
    100x6
    100x6
    100x6

Hamstring curls

80x6
    80x6
    80x6

Hit my goal of 250+ with good form and depth but I'd like to work my way back up to 315. Pretty good workout, max out on dead lift Friday. Looking for 405+ for a 1RM hopefully more.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 02-28-2008 at 10:26 AM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    Today, diet has been great. Had a beer last night but just one so no big deal.

Max dead or squat I'll post numbers tonight.....

Fat loss is going phenomenal
    Good to hear.

Let's see the numbers!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Diet has been going well. Probably going to take a free meal tonight after the workout. Tomorrow though I will be breaking my otherwise great progress and be having a night of drinking/fun. I'm excited for it but since alcohol can add up quickly I'm only doing this once a week (but then again might as well have fun, right?). I'm in college and its totally unrealistic for me to expect not to drink atleast once a week.

Anyways. Max deads tonight. Looking for 405+ and I'd like to hit 305 on squats by the end of the semester. I'm sure I can get 275 on squat though soon....gonna keep working on it until I max out again. I'll post later tonight.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 02-29-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I have alot to write about I guess. Last night was pretty crazy, got really drunk and went to Mcdonalds lol so I def. dropped the ball on my diet last night. Training was really good though, but I hurt my back doing SLDL's the other day and made it worse yesterday doing regular deadlifts. My lower back just hurts like hell so I want to take it easy on it next week.....probably no deadlifts of any kind. My problem was that I rounded my back a little doing those SLDL's........but next time I'm simply going to wear a belt for pretty much any deadlifting. I don't want to hurt it again.

So my workout went like this....

Deadlifts
    315x3
    365x2
    385x1

Dumbbell rows

100x5
    105x5
    110x5 PR

Dumbbell shrugs
    85'sx6
    85'sx6
    85'sx6

Shoulder press (DB)

55'sx5
    55'sx5
    55'sx5

Machine press

120x6
    120x6
    130x6

Good workout overall but I just need to give my lower back a little break so I don't strain it anymore.....glad though that I got to play with 110 dumbbells, never done that before. Hoping back on the diet today, looking for a good week of workouts.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Diet has been predominantly shakes for yesterday and most of today. Been pretty strict and controlled. Also I think I'm going to take a free meal and eat a sub at this new sub-shop on campus that I've never been before. Hopefully that will give me that much more energy to have a good workout later on at night. Should consist of a sub, chips and soft drink. Also going to hit another back workout just because that's what I'm feeling today. Staying away from dead lifts since my lower back is still stiff. Trying to keep using 110 DB's and maybe even trying 115's. Will post numbers later.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Bicster
    dude, almost every post has been talking about a cheat meal. this is not a psmf! re-read lyle's book.

good to see you man
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Bicster View Post
    dude, almost every post has been talking about a cheat meal. this is not a psmf! re-read lyle's book.
    haha I know it seems like that but you get 2 per week if you're category 3. I'm following it for about a month and this week I'm saving my next one for Friday. I think I've been doing pretty good (except Saturday when I got drunk lol). Also, obviously drinking is not apart of the diet but come on, you only live once and there is no way I'm going to be a total square throughout this......I mean what, at worse I hit maintainence Saturday. The world won't come to a halt. Is it perfect or ideal? No, but it'll get the job done. As long as my strength stays the same or improves and I lose a good amount of fat then the diet worked.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-03-2008 at 03:15 PM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Same old. Diet is plugging along and I'm really not having any hunger problems past the first few days. I had a killer back workout yesterday. Today should be some cardio or a rest day depending on how busy I am later in the night.

Back workout

DB rows

105x5
    110x5
    115x5 PR

Rows
    135x6
    135x6
    135x6

Tricep pulldowns
    105x6
    90x6
    90x6

Standing hammer curls
    45x6
    45x6
    45x6

Really good workout. Perfect form on everything except the last set of DB rows I used some body english so I think I will stay there until I can do all five with perfect form. Great workout and I was surprised I could lift 115's.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Again, slacking off on the journal! Shame on me. I've had two noticeably good workouts. A back and shoulder one. I need to list the numbers so I can keep accurate progress.

Back

DB rows
    105x5
    105x5
    110x5
    110x5
    115x5

Rows
    135x8
    135x8
    135x8

Lat pulldowns
    100x12
    100x10
    100x10
    90x12

Shrugs
    75'sx12
    75'sx12
    75'sx12

Shoulders

Military press
    135x5
    135x5
    140x5
    140x5
    145x5 PR

Machine press
    100x8
    100x8
    100x8
    100x8

Arm raises
    20'sx10
    20'sx10
    20'sx10

Crunches
    A bazillion

So these two workouts have been very good. I decided to up the sets and just dump the PSMF. Its just not going to happen up here in college considering I'm already almost done a 10lb bag of protein. And I'm sick of having pussy workouts. I want to be strong again. So instead my calories are being ramped up to about maintenance give or take a 100 calories. I've also started to supplement with cardio of various forms or atleast extra physical activity. Yesterday I ran a mile and a half and today I played racquetball for 30 minutes. I'm trying to get myself more athletic, stronger and maybe slightly leaner. Diet is gone yay. Boooo for willpower. Should be doing a leg workout tomorrow and I'm going to try and bust through my previous max.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Also, I highly doubt I will do a cycle this fall. I feel I'm simply not big enough nor do I feel I will be able to 100% dedicate myself. I'm not on a cycle now and this semester has been less then perfect so I don't want to waste all that money, risk getting caught and then come out with little muscle gain. So, yea these are just my thoughts as of recently. If I were living back home and going to community college and if I were 10-15lbs bigger I would probably run a cycle but I'm not so its looking very doubtful.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Chest

Incline bench
    135x5
    165x5
    165x5
    185x5
    185x5

Decline bench
    135x10
    135x10
    155x10

Cable flys
    35'sx10
    35'sx10
    35'sx10

Tricep pull downs
    75x10
    75x10
    75x10

Pushups
    3x10

Good workout. I got a good pump and finished in a little under an hour. Still eating to maintain right now. Legs for tomorrow.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Workout-Legs

Max Squat
    225x3
    245x2
    275x1
    295x1- miss

Calf raises
    275x12
    275x12
    275x12

Leg press
    4ppsx8
    4ppsx8
    4ppsx8

Leg extension
    140x8
    120x10
    120x10

Hamstring curls
    80x10
    80x10
    80x10

Good workout, Squat depth is good and I'm coming close to my old numbers. I'd like to put up over 300 the next time I max out which I should be able to do unless I slack off. Diet is still set around 3k with about 100g fat, 250+ carbs, and about 240 protein. So far the week has been good. I haven't done any cardio yet but I should do some tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-25-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

way to be a disciplined workhorse! Talk about motivating! Your progress and self motivation is awesome bro!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Shoulder workout

Military press
    135x5
    140x5
    140x5
    145x5
    145x5

Machine press
    120x8
    110x8
    100x8
    90x8

Front raises
    45x10
    45x10
    45x10

DB Shrugs
    70'sx12
    70'sx12
    70'sx12

Great workout. Really hard. I've been doing very well this week. Tomorrow is a back workout. Diet is set at 3k still.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-28-2008 at 01:02 AM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I had two good workouts so far this week....I did a back workout last week but I can't recall the numbers so there isn't any point in writing down wrong numbers.

Chest (yesterday)

Bench
    155x5
    175x5
    185x5
    195x5
    205x2
    225xMiss

Incline bench

135x8
    135x8
    155x8
    160x8

Flys
    60x10
    60x10
    60x10

Tricep pulldown
    80x12
    80x12
    80x12

Back workout

DB rows
    110x5
    110x5
    115x5
    115x5
    120x4 PR

Lat pulldown (machine)
    150x8
    160x8
    170x8
    200x8

Cable rows
    120x10
    120x10
    120x10

Preacher curls
    65x8
    55x10
    55x10

Great workouts. I've been making good progress in only a few weeks since I've actually started training like I should. Diet has been pretty consistent around 3k which is what I want to keep it at. Cardio is the only thing I've been slacking off on but its all good since I'm not really trying to lose weight. I will update tomorrow...
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

haven't updated in a while on account of sloth. This past week overall went well but I became ill towards the end of it with a really nasty cold. Its still lingering in me but I'm just going to take a nap and either do chest or legs today. Also I really want to start doing some more cardio since I have a very important event coming up in 3 weeks and want to get in better shape for the summer. I'm feeling either a jog or simply doing some sprints to start off. Diet is still around 3k but I still need to clean it up a bit more since its not totally what I would like. Look for an update in the afternoon.

-jordan
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Last night I had a chest workout.....

Bench
    155x5
    165x5
    185x5
    195x5
    205x3

Incline
    135x8
    155x8
    155x8
    165x8

Decline
    135x10
    145x10
    145x10

Pushups

3x12

I got an extra rep in there for 205 on bench and I probably could get all 5 in a week or two. Tonight should be back or something. Not 100% sure.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 04-10-2008 at 02:07 PM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Back/shoulders

DB rows
    110x5
    115x5
    125x5 PR

Lat pulldowns
    150x6
    150x6
    140x6

Machine press
    120x6
    120x6
    120x6

Arm raises
    25x10
    25x10
    25x10

Shrugs
    65'sx8
    65'sx8

Great workout. Felt very strong throughout. Broke a PR but had more body English then I would've liked. Regardless though its pretty good weight to move so I'm happy at that. tomorrow I think I'm doing legs. I decided to cut down my volume a bit so I can focus on pure strength for the moment being.

**Also I know I dont post for a couple days maybe even a week but its just busy with school winding down. I've been lifting but haven't been very good at keeping track of my lifts. Something I need to work on.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 04-15-2008 at 08:24 PM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I had a great shoulder workout last night....

Shoulders

Military press
    135x5
    140x5
    140x5
    145x5
    145x5

DB press
    45'sx8
    50'sx8
    55'sx6

Machine press
    100x10
    100x10
    100x10
    120x10

Lateral shoulder raises
    20'sx10
    20'sx10
    20'sx10

Really great workout. Went up in my military press atleast as far as total weight goes. The rest of the workout was really intense and lasted about 45 minutes. Today should be a back workout or chest. Also I want to start doing cardio consistently so look for that as well.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)