Thread: Question about Bill Starr's 5x5

Question about Bill Starr's 5x5

For those of you who are familiar with the routine, is it common to stall a bit during the 6th week or so? It happend to me today, and I've read in other people's journals that they've also stalled around the 6th week or so. Although its only my bench, its the first time in quite a while that I didn't see any improvement from the previous week. Any comments??

Eventually you're going to stall on at least one lift, it's inevitable. Just drop the weight down a little and work your way back up.

is it normal to swap lifts in bill starrs program? like if I can't get passed the flat bench, switch to 5x5 decline for a bit?

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    He's not saying that. He's saying drop the weight in your regular bench a little bit from what you're currently doing and work your way back up again. Once you reset you should start making progress again. But stall outs are inevitable on this routine.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Switching the exercise or lowering the amount of weight and working through the progression again would work fine I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    He's not saying that. He's saying drop the weight in your regular bench a little bit from what you're currently doing and work your way back up again. Once you reset you should start making progress again. But stall outs are inevitable on this routine.
    oh i know, someone had suggested swapping exercises to me earlier.

If you swap a lift, please don't refer it to the Bill Starr 5x5 routine anymore.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Well, I've overcome that plateau and some. I decided, maybe its time to add more calories to my bulk since I had hit a small rut, and it made quite an impact in the gym.