The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

looking to bench 315 need help

I recetly started back to college now and noticed up on the record board that the record for the 148lb was a 315 bench. I am 5'7" and about 158. My current max is 265 on bench. I have been lifting weights for a few years now and currently use the wbb1 workout. Do you think there is a chance i can hit this by the end of the year? Can anyone give me some pointers to try to reach my goal?

thanks,
    nathan

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    One of the fastest ways to bulid up your bench max is to do a set of negatives at the end of your chest workout. Put 315 on and do a set of 4 x 3. Make sure you have a strong spotter that can lift that weight off of you because you will get fatuiged very quickly! Are you taking any supplements/protein?

Banned
    uggg, say no to negatives.
    i am strongly against the "its all you buddy" training method, it makes your weak spots weaker.

first thing id do is drop the WBB1 workout, and tailor something specific to your needs and abilities of recovery.
    your 50lbs away so you need to be thinking about steady progress, and consistency. hitting your goal in a year would be a good accomplishment if your going to keep your same body weight.
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 02-22-2008 at 08:11 AM.

First, thats an Awesome bench for your weight Bro! Great Job!

Im Not to sure what the WBB1 Workout in looks like so I cant give you any input on that part. If you want to increase your bench your going to have in add Board Presses to your workout. Also Your going to have to do a training cycle that will be 8-12 Weeks Long. Which will still not give you the 50lbs you need, If you do 2-3 Cycles you would close to your goal of 315!

Example of a cycle would look like this:

Week 1
    Bench 185X3X8
    4BRD 285x2x3

Week 2
    Bench 195x3x6
    4BRD 285x2x3-5

Week 3
    Bench 205x2x5
    3BRD 285x2x3

Week 4
    Bench 215x2x5
    3BRD 285x2x3

And so on until you benched 285 off your Chest. If you want a full workout bro just drop me a pm and we'll see what we can do!
    Ain't Nothin 2 It But 2 Do It!
    BPM Osgood
    605@178
    www.myspace.com/bpmosgood

Westside ftw!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    I not a real big fan of supplements. All I really do is eat a lot of protein(usually in every meal I eat) and take a multivitamin every morning. As of right now i could cut down to 148 if I had to no prob.
    nathan

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nsargeant View Post
    I not a real big fan of supplements. All I really do is eat a lot of protein(usually in every meal I eat) and take a multivitamin every morning. As of right now i could cut down to 148 if I had to no prob.
    nathan
    You're not taking Creatine....?
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

I got awesome gains on the DC (doggcrapp) method. Just remember to eat too...you will be amazed how increasing your calories will do increase your strength. Here is a basic example.

Pick a weight that is you 8RM press it 8 times, rack it and take 12-15 deep breaths, unrack push as many times as you can, rack it 12-15 deep breath, unrack push as many reps as you can. After you are done do some extreme stretching.

But what you want to do is only do 1-2 worksets for each body part and split up your routine where you are lifitng all your muscles in 2 sessions. The key is similar to a whole body routine where you are hitting each bodypart multiple times per week. I shot or hitting each body part 3 times in 10 days. I got awesome results and added a lot to each of my lifts in a 6 week period. I wouldn't go much longer than 6 weeks with this.

This is a super summed up version of DC training, so I would run it through google and read up on it a little more before trying.

Banned
    all you really need supplement wise is some extra protein (count up how much your getting in a day i bet its less then you think, i thought i was getting allot but wasnt so i needed to take some via shakes), creatine (why not take it its cheap and will increase your strength, and a mulitvitimin. If you want to gain weight then you might need to take some weight gainers if you cant get enough food in.

also were are you weak on your bench? boards and chains will help if you are weak at the top, but wont do to much good if your weak right off the chest.

Wannabebig Member
    don't really know where I am weak on bench. Seems like I get it up or I don't. If I can't lift it I usually stop right below halfway up. not taking any creatine. I never really liked it.
    nathan
    Last edited by nsargeant; 02-22-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Banned
    if you stop halfway then you are weak at the top and board presses might help.

Georgia Boy
    How do you do board presses.

Wannabebig Member
    Board Press

Quote Originally Posted by Transformer View Post
    How do you do board presses.
    Strap boards to your chest, press down to boards, and press back up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YbgIO9X22q0

Fast forward to about 1 min to see an example.

Wannabebig Member
    BPM Osgood,
    It won't let me send pm's or even an e-mail because I don't have enough post. I am interested in what kind of full chest routine you think I should be doing to achieve this bench.
    thanks,
    nathan

Nate, give me a day or two and I'll post you a 12 week Program. it will be for a 25lbs increase in bench... so 290 is what we will shot for. What can you bench for 3 and 5 reps?
    BPM Osgood
    605@178

Wannabebig Member
    LOL....

jay Cutler claims he benched 315 the first time he ever tried to bench.

http://www.probodybuildingweekly.com/player/replay.html

Wannabebig Member
    225 x5 a little more for 3 reps

Quote Originally Posted by powerlifter550 View Post
    LOL....

Interestingly enough, there is a video somewhere (youtube?) where a young Jay Cutler claims he only benches using a max weight of 225 and focuses on strict form.

Ah, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ynptWBfAUU

Towards the very end... "light and strict"

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlifter550 View Post
    LOL....

mike wolfe said the same thing on this message board, think hes lying too?

Quote Originally Posted by bics56 View Post
    I got awesome gains on the DC (doggcrapp) method. Just remember to eat too...you will be amazed how increasing your calories will do increase your strength. Here is a basic example.

Pick a weight that is you 8RM press it 8 times, rack it and take 12-15 deep breaths, unrack push as many times as you can, rack it 12-15 deep breath, unrack push as many reps as you can. After you are done do some extreme stretching.

But what you want to do is only do 1-2 worksets for each body part and split up your routine where you are lifitng all your muscles in 2 sessions. The key is similar to a whole body routine where you are hitting each bodypart multiple times per week. I shot or hitting each body part 3 times in 10 days. I got awesome results and added a lot to each of my lifts in a 6 week period. I wouldn't go much longer than 6 weeks with this.

This is a super summed up version of DC training, so I would run it through google and read up on it a little more before trying.

This is a bit inaccurate, so yes if one would want to do DC they should research it. There is a great thread on this website about it which is worth the read. As for doing DC to improve Flat Barbell Bench Press, I don't know. That exercise actually isn't recommended to be used with DC training because of the potential for shoulder injuries and Pec tears when using the RP method. Probably the best advice as I believe some others have said is to follow the Westside Template and included exercises like board presses. BPM Osgood is a good person to follow as well, as he obviously knows his stuff. You have a great bench press max for your size and good luck reaching your goal.
    Last edited by joey54; 02-27-2008 at 07:31 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Ok Bro Here ya Go! i just wrote this workout for another Bro as well, and adjusted the weights for your goals! Hope it works Brother!

Week 1
    Bench 180x2x8
    3BRD 290x1
    Close-Grips 3x8 Full Range.
    DB Press 3x8 - make sure dumbbells touch your chest (deep)
    You Wil do the Close-Grip and DB Press like this for 1-4 Weeks.

Week 2
    Bench 190x2x6
    3BRD 290x2

Week 3
    Bench 200x2x6
    3BRD 290x3

Week 4
    Bench 210x2x5
    2BRD 290x1

Week 5
    Bench 220x2x5
    2BRD 290x2
    Close Grips 3x5 -weeks 5-8
    DB Press 3x5 - weeks 5-8

Week 6
    Bench 230x2x5
    2BRD 290x3

Week 7
    Bench 240x2x3
    1BRD 290x1 - HUGE LIFT RIGHT HERE IF YOU REALLY WANT 300

Week 8
    Bench 250x2x3
    3BRD 300x1

Week 9
    Bench 260x2x3 - PR!
    3BRD 300x2
    Close-Grips 2x3 HEAVY - Weeks 9-11
    DB Press 2x5 HEAVY - Weeks 9-11

Week 10
    Bench 270x2 - One Set. PR
    2BRD 300x1

Week 11
    Bench 280x1 - One Set. PR
    2BRD 300x1

Week 12 - GAME TIME, this is what it all comes down to.
    BENCH 290x1!
    BPM Osgood
    605@178

Wannabebig Member
    my bench has always sucked for my size. but lately ive been trying this 5x5 workout that seems to work great. so far ive gone up 40lbs doing it in the last month and a half. (from 185x5x5 - 225x5x5)
    height:6'1"
    weight:235
    bench:375
    squat:530
    deadlift:605
    -------------------------------------------------