The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

I want a six pack.....Picture Included.

yjyj
    Last edited by cleanwithit; 10-12-2009 at 04:29 PM.
    A midget named alfred would hop out of cupcake on a motor scooter and would drive josh to cambodia to buy a lobster dinner for 99cents.

Yea when we fought bigfoot for a roast beef sandwich and big foot pooped off the empire state building and it landed in bill gates coffee.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    Don't expect a reply so quick ...

Getting a six pack is a function of diet. You can do 10000 crunches a day but if you have fat around your stomach you wont have a six pack.

Just lift weights, do cardio, do crunches and eat below your maintenance calories to get your fat down to about 10-12% and you will have more defined abs.

If you lift weights don't think that you are magically going to get big, lifting weight while cutting will just help you to hold onto what muscle you already have.
    Last edited by leetuck; 02-17-2008 at 06:58 AM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leetuck View Post

Getting a six pack is a function of diet. You can do 10000 crunches a day but if you have fat around your stomach you wont have a six pack.

Just lift weights, do cardio, do crunches and eat below your maintenance calories to get your fat down to about 10-12% and you will have more defined abs.

How many calories a day should I consume, and what're maintenance levels?
    A midget named alfred would hop out of cupcake on a motor scooter and would drive josh to cambodia to buy a lobster dinner for 99cents.

Yea when we fought bigfoot for a roast beef sandwich and big foot pooped off the empire state building and it landed in bill gates coffee.

you're 6'3" and 142lbs...EAT

maintenance calories = the amount that keeps you from going up or down in weight (the amount "maintains" your current weight)

the only way to figure that out is to track your weight and calories for a week and then compare. If you stayed the same then you need to bump your calories up, if you lost weight you def. need to bump your cals up, and if you went up then keep eating at that level (1-2lbs a week should be ideal).

All the while make sure you're hitting the gym 3-4 days a week. Check out the Wannabebig Routine or possibly Baby Got Back.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Maintenace calories are the amount of calories your body needs in order to maintance your current weight. If you eat over this, you will gain weight. If you eat under, you will lose weight,

Use this website as a very rough estimate.
    http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html

However, practically it is something that you will work out with trial and error. Just eat something like 2000 calories a day and see how your weight changes over a few weeks.

You been weightlifting long? if at all?
    Lee

Wannabebig Member
    Maintenace calories are the amount of calories your body needs in order to maintance your current weight. If you eat over this, you will gain weight. If you eat under, you will lose weight,

Use this website as a very rough estimate.

However, practically it is something that you will work out with trial and error. Just eat something like 2000 calories a day and see how your weight changes over a few weeks.

You been weightlifting long? if at all?
    Nope not really weight lifting, just trying to define my abs a bit more. I'm working them 2 times a week with resistance.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    you're 6'3" and 142lbs...EAT

maintenance calories = the amount that keeps you from going up or down in weight (the amount "maintains" your current weight)

the only way to figure that out is to track your weight and calories for a week and then compare. If you stayed the same then you need to bump your calories up, if you lost weight you def. need to bump your cals up, and if you went up then keep eating at that level (1-2lbs a week should be ideal).

All the while make sure you're hitting the gym 3-4 days a week. Check out the Wannabebig Routine or possibly Baby Got Back.
    LOL. Man, I eat like a horse. Not healthy wise, junkfood wise. Obviously that's about to change.
    Last edited by cleanwithit; 02-17-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    So, I will start out at 2,000 calories. But by gaining weight, will I be gaining muscle weight or fat weight?
    Last edited by cleanwithit; 02-17-2008 at 07:14 AM.

If you are not really into weights but can get to a gym I'd just do a few exercises such as Squats, Deadlifts and Bench press. Eat your maintenance calories but cut out all the crap .. make sure you get about 150g of protein a day. Do crunches and do cardio and you will make your goals.
    Lee

On 2000 calories you won't gain weight. You will prob lose weight or you may even stay the same weight but will have less fat.

You need to do some reading about dieting and weights etc. Use the search function on here and you will get all the answers you need.
    Lee

If you lift weights don't think that you are magically going to get big, lifting weight while cutting will just help you to hold onto what muscle you already have.
    Ya, what he said.

Its all in a diet.
    you do have abs, but its under the fat.
    once the fat is gone, you will be able to see it a little better.
    and then, crunches and such will help you see your abs even more : )
    Female, 17
    height- 4'7
    weight- 109.2

[Squat]-270Goal-350
    [Dead Lift]-290Goal-360
    [Bench]-145Goal-200

We're not here to blow sunshine up your ass. We're here to give you honest, fair opinions.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaz View Post
    Ya, what he said.

Its all in a diet.
    you do have abs, but its under the fat.
    once the fat is gone, you will be able to see it a little better.
    and then, crunches and such will help you see your abs even more : )

Thanks, for all the help :P

At 6'3" and I42lbs I dont think you should be trying to lose any more weight.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanwithit View Post
    What do I need to do? Do I bulk, and follow a diet, and work out abs?
    That's pretty much it. I'd put on a few pounds, follow a pretty standard routine (WBB1, BGB,...etc), then go on a cut. Read around to figure out how, then just do it!
    Last edited by whiteman90909; 02-17-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Nope not really weight lifting, just trying to define my abs a bit more. I'm working them 2 times a week with resistance.

This is a weightlifting forum, not a "how do i get skinnier so twelveteen year old girls will swoon over me" forum.
    Last edited by DarrenEff; 02-17-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Gain muscle.
    Lose fat.

thats what im doing.
    or "trying" to do..
    Female, 17
    height- 4'7
    weight- 109.2

[Squat]-270Goal-350
    [Dead Lift]-290Goal-360
    [Bench]-145Goal-200

We're not here to blow sunshine up your ass. We're here to give you honest, fair opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenEff View Post

This is a weightlifting forum, not a "how do i get skinnier so twelveteen year old girls will swoon over me" forum.

You sir have won this thread.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

You're 6'3 142lbs and you're worried about a 6-pack?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Here's the solution.

Link
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

I understand that you want a 6 pack, it definitely makes a pretty big difference in appearance no matter what body fat % you're at. BUT, trying to lose weight with your stats is not healthy. You're gonna have to forget about a 6 pack for a while and workout. It'll come eventually. Unless your goal is to also look like an Ethiopian.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadzillaRF View Post
    Here's the solution.

Link
    that link pretty much sums it up
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

you look pretty lean. you have no muscle, that is why you don't have a six pack. simple as that. if you aren't into lifting weights much, why post on this site? do some yoga or something.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for everybodys opinions, it was helpful.

lift weights (free weights)
    sprint up a hill
    walk back down
    sprint up it again
    and walk back down
    and repeat
    like 6-10 times
    and do it every other day

you will have a 6 pack in 2 months...
    and if you jog back down instead
    you will have a very nice 6 pack in 2 months

its easy for people like us who are twiglike to get abs...
    Last edited by Rocket Reidy; 02-18-2008 at 11:57 AM.
    5"10 - 146lbs

60yd - 6.5s (on grass w/ football cleats)

Man, I can't wait till it gets warm. My girlfriend runs cross-country, and I will just run with her. I'm going to try to gain some weight, so that I can look healthy, I look so thin in the face. Thanks for the advice.
    If you're trying to gain weight, running is not really the best idea.