The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Banned

Training partners/working alone

I'm getting back into the weights big-time after quite a layoff but I have no training partner, so I'm having to work alone at the moment. This is weird because I come from a sporting background and always used to train in a team. I can just ask people for spots, but its not the same. Also I feel a good training partner would make training a lot more enjoyable and so much more motivating - I always liked a bit of healthy competition! Kind of hoped I'd meet someone at the gym, but no luck yet. Also, I study history of art at university, which is like 90% female, so most of my friends are skinny, arty girls, or handful of skinny art boys. Most of them don't know where the gym is...

So, any ideas on how to find decent training partners?
    Is it even important?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

depends. you need to find someone you click with and shares your views on working out. don't just settle. it is the same thing as picking out your friends or girlfriend//wife. in the meantime, you can do plenty of exercises which don't require a spotter, or grasp......., did Joey54 just suggest this, use some machines. But, even if you want to go all free wieghts you can set up a power rack to do any exercise you want which requires a spotter. provided your gym has a power rack. if it doesn't, switch gyms.

I have made great progress with good training partners and alone. It is ultimately up to the mindset you bring into the gym. My opinion has been that one should garner enough motivation from the fact that they are always trying to top themself in the gym. Not to say a good partner, or training when other stong people are in the gym also can't be motivators. Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by joey54; 02-22-2008 at 06:30 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I've only had one decent training partner..and a small hand full of bad ones. At this point, I am perfectly happy working out alone and doing my own thing and asking for spots as needed. Though I do miss the friendly competition associated with a partner.

No training partners is better than bad training partners. That said, the right partners will lead you to much greater success than training alone. If there's a bulletin board at the gym, post an ad with your contact info. (Or just put up something in the locker room). Make sure to include the type of training you are doing and what kind of partners you're looking for.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    No training partners is better than bad training partners. That said, the right partners will lead you to much greater success than training alone.

I've been training solo for 4 years now, had a few people come with me to the gym with good intensions, but within the week all of them dropped out.

MP3 player is all I have now, and its dependable (except when the batteries die )
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I workout with someone right now but usually I am solo. It gets a little scary on bench press but other then that I have no problem working out alone and actually prefer it. Other then having a partner watch your form which comes in real handy.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Banned
    I usually end up working out alone but for a while there I had a great lifting partner and we each were able to push one another. That really helped me, I had much better gains with a partner than without.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I find a power rack with pins to be a much more dependable training partner than any human I've worked with...

At least IT never loses attention when some good-looking women in spandex walk in and start doing hamstrings in front of the bench.