The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bench Press and Wrist Angle

I've spent the last half hour searching the forum and can't quite find what I'm looking for. Although I found some other cool stuff on the way. I'm not a strong guy but my bench press is really rocketing up and with the weight as heavy as it is my wrists and hands are giving me trouble. I normally let my wrists bend back but I think this is bad and although it doesn't hurt now I have a feeling it will later. But my problem is when I straighten out my wrists the whole weight shifts from my palms to the bases of my thumbs and I can't bear the thumb pain so I bend my wrists back. So what should I do? Do you guys all take the weight on the bases of you thumbs or bend your wrists?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1. Start making your wrists stronger.
    2. Get some wrist wraps.

I've been considering the wrist wraps but that and stronger wrists don't seem to be the answer to my thumb pain issue. Maybe my hands are shaped funny?

Wannabebig Member
    Pick a barbell off the floor, i.e. deadlift and roll a stick with a rope tied to some plates. It will stretch and strengthen your forearms and wrists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, the way I'm understanding you, it's not that you don't have the muscle strength to straighten your wrist, just that it hurts really bad, to where it's very uncomfortable.

I don't fully straighten my wrist, either, but I don't bend it back too much, and it doesn't hurt because I squeeze the bar. You may want to try that.
    Last edited by azma; 02-24-2008 at 03:53 AM.

are you training the bench press specifically for a powerlifting meet? Do you encounter this problem with other pressing movements or just with flat barbell bench press?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I notice this when I am doing dips. It just kills my palms and is so painful I have to stop from the pain before I was ever fatiged from the lift. I could give you a solution if I had one but I just don't do dips that often and that's how I get around it. But bench press is much more important.
    Last edited by Brad263; 02-24-2008 at 08:18 AM.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Thanks for all feedback. I'm not training for a PL thing, just for fundamental strength and size. I only have the problem on flat barbell press. I do have the strength to straighten my wrists but once they are straight the pain in my thumbs is unbearable. On dumbbell bench presses I can actually feel the strain in my forearms and its harder to keep the wrists straight but when I do I don't feel any thumb pain. I'll try the squeezing the bar suggestion. I'll be benching on Tuesday with the highest weight I've ever done sets with so I'll know for sure if its helping.

You want your wrist almost straight, just a light bend. Make Sure your wrist and forarm stay straight together, this will give you more power and cause less strain on your wrists. Also Check out APT Wrist Straps, get yourself a Pair of 20" Wraps and then it will be game on! Good Luck Bro
    Ain't Nothin 2 It But 2 Do It!
    BPM Osgood
    605@178
    www.myspace.com/bpmosgood

When I bench I position my thumb on the same side of the bar as my other fingers. A personal trainer at my gym told me to do this and it helps so that you dont squeeze the bar (apparently a source of parkinsons in the wrist). Try it out, it helped me

Look ma, I deadlifted. el_Mariachi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BPM Osgood View Post
    You want your wrist almost straight, just a light bend. Make Sure your wrist and forarm stay straight together, this will give you more power and cause less strain on your wrists.
    Yes.

I have a mark on my palm like the picture below after I bench, this seems to be the easiest on my wrists with a lot of the weight being just below my thumb level almost palm meets wrist. Definitely don't let your wrists bend back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by el_Mariachi; 02-24-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by el_Mariachi View Post
    Yes.

I have a mark on my palm like the picture below after I bench, this seems to be the easiest on my wrists with a lot of the weight being just below my thumb level almost palm meets wrist. Definitely don't let your wrists bend back.
    Only Problem with the pic is that the bar sits to low out the outside of your hand, this could cause it to slip...

When you hold the bar it should be lined up with the center of your forarm!
    Ain't Nothin 2 It But 2 Do It!
    BPM Osgood
    605@178
    www.myspace.com/bpmosgood

Look ma, I deadlifted. el_Mariachi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BPM Osgood View Post
    Only Problem with the pic is that the bar sits to low out the outside of your hand, this could cause it to slip...
    Maybe the picture exaggerates how low it is by a little bit. It's definitely secure in the palm and I've never had it even start to slip. I'm just mostly making the point that you don't want it straight across your palm up near your fingers, because that's probably what's bending his wrist back instead of lining the weight up on his forearm.

Thanks for the good info, I'll try moving my thumb to my finger side at a low weight but that seems really unsafe thinking about it. If that doesn't work I'll keep my wrist and forearm in line and focous on finding the right spot for that bar in my palm.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    There have been more than a few accidents of people benching without the thumb around the bar. There are a couple of videos on youtube of people losing the bar and it coming down and causing some serious damage. I would highly suggest you do as Osgood says and also NOT move your thumb to the finger side.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Thanks for that, I was not excited about trying it and certainly won't be now.

Get some wraps, get stronger, don't bend your wrists back.

Unless you want to shatter your forearm.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I've been bending my wrists back, big time. I find it makes my injured shoulder hurt less, for some reason. Of course the weight is brutally light ... 115 for 10 reps, since my shoulder blows out for a whopping 120 x 0 if I go any heavier.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Corey170 View Post
    When I bench I position my thumb on the same side of the bar as my other fingers. A personal trainer at my gym told me to do this and it helps so that you dont squeeze the bar (apparently a source of parkinsons in the wrist). Try it out, it helped me
    What are you talking about? Parkinsons in the wrist?! Parkinsons is a disease that affects the entire body caused by a chemical imbalance (blockage of dopamine) in the brain!

Also, you are advocating what is caused the "suicide grip". Not recommended unless you have very strong hands and good side spotters. Besides, squeezing the bar is a GOOD thing.

Seriously, where did you here such rubbish?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Get some wraps, get stronger, don't bend your wrists back.

Unless you want to shatter your forearm.
    ...or drop the weight back on your chest!

Wear wrist wraps and strengthen your wrists. You always want to keep your wrists as straight as possible (in line with your forearms). Squeeze the bar TIGHT.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

The verdict is in. I tried keeping the wrists straight or slightly bent with no aids and squeezing the bar and I just couldn't take the pain in my thumb. So I dug out a pair of lifting gloves I had long abandoned and they worked great. They really distributed the load over my palm better and allowed me to keep my wrists straight. So gloves for bench for the foreseeable future but I won't use them on anything else. I think I'll still look into wrist wraps but they won't be a priority.

Guido, thanks for addressing that Parkinsons thing, that was a totally weird post, especially since my Grandmother died of it and she was no weightlifter.