Thread: Great exercise for POWER using the Concept II Rowing Machine

Stockholm Syndrome

Great exercise for POWER using the Concept II Rowing Machine

For anyone who is interesting in an exercise on the Concept II machine that is great for building power (and is really f-ing tiring), listen up.

I rowed for my university all last year, and I've heard we have one of the most intense winter training schedules of any school in the sport. We did many days of 80+ minutes of rowing, but nothing kicked my butt as bad as these did:

What you do is set the units on the machine to Watts/hr, and the time for 10 seconds. Set the rest for one minute, as you need to fully recover after every one of these. The gist is to basically see how high you can get the Watts/hr in the 10 second interval. You do this of course by pulling like your life depends on it, and you want to get the flywheel spinning as fast as possible. You'll probably have time for 4-6 strokes in ten seconds. Do anywhere from 10-20 of these at one minute intervals, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

An average of 500-600 is pretty decent. Anything around 800, and you're definitely a haus. Above 1000...maybe you should do this for a living.
    Tom, age 19.

Height: 6'3 Weight: 185# Goal: 210#

"We can bomb the world into pieces but we can't bomb it into peace."
    -Michael Franti

While not exactly for power I can see it being utilized for metabolic conditioning. I'm sure that some of the more conditioned guys here can give this a good run.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Sounds cool, I will give it a try.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I wannabebig!
    ill have to give this a try... im still trying to hit sub 1:30 on the 500m row

Stockholm Syndrome
    HomeYield I'm gonna have to disagree...this is certainly an exercise for power. I agree that the rowing machine is primarily for cardiovascular and muscular conditioning, but when used in this way, it feels quite similar to deadlifting.

As a reference, my teams's top rower pulled a 1:19 500m and a 5:58 2k, and I believe he was pulling up around 1200 W/hr on the last few of these
    Tom, age 19.

Height: 6'3 Weight: 185# Goal: 210#

"We can bomb the world into pieces but we can't bomb it into peace."
    -Michael Franti

Remembers vomiting numerous times after ergos*

God I love rowing.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Remembers vomiting numerous times after ergos*

God I love rowing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

I just started using the rowing machine a couple weeks ago and I love it, goona try this on one of my cardio days this week, I know im goona suck at since I just got back into the gym after a 4 months off ( been back almost a month now ) but hey gotta start somewhere.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    ill have to give this a try... im still trying to hit sub 1:30 on the 500m row
    That's ****ing fast, my best time is 1:32.4, and I was pulling like a madman (I threw up after the set). This is a staple of my routine now, I feel it builds power and is also good for conditioning. Fuzzy I've throw up from rowing before also.....IDK why this machine takes so much out of me.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyGreens View Post
    HomeYield I'm gonna have to disagree...this is certainly an exercise for power. I agree that the rowing machine is primarily for cardiovascular and muscular conditioning, but when used in this way, it feels quite similar to deadlifting.

As a reference, my teams's top rower pulled a 1:19 500m and a 5:58 2k, and I believe he was pulling up around 1200 W/hr on the last few of these
    Damn, sub 6 2k.

For the non rowers this is the equivelent of a 4 plate raw chest press.

I wish I could finish 2k, lol.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.