The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Preparing for the reserves, fitness test

Well first, I need to be able to do 19 push ups and 19 situps, easy.

The next test is hand grip test (for what ever reason). It says 75 kg but I dont know what the means (if it means hold on to 75 kg of weight than that shall be easy!).

Finally, 2.4 km run in a max time of 11:56. This easy? I dont really run very much but I would like to think I am not that bad at it. I cant go running outside now because it is winter and I dont consider a treadmill run to be valid.

Next question, will I lose much muscle during training? It is only 2 months... My only concern is getting enough protein, and I am sure that if I walk in with a tub of protein powder they're going to have something to say about it lol.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why 19 pushups? Why not 18 or 20?

When my dad went to Basic here, he said he gained like 10-12lbs and it wasn't fat; so as far as losing muscle mass I wouldn't think you would have to worry about it that much.

The run is roughly an eighth of a mile every minute(sry, I don't know metric that well so had to put in perspective for me) I dont know how well you run, but to me, being a person who doesn't run but very little, it doesn't seem impossible or even that difficult at all to run in that time.

I think you will be fine, good luck.

wontstop
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Just looking to build muscle, not too worried about being cut

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Why 19 pushups? Why not 18 or 20?
    Because that is how the Canadian army works

Pretty sure the grip test is using one of thesehttp://www.topendsports.com/testing/store-strength.htm

Footballer
    that 2.4km run should be pretty easy it's about an 8 min/mile pace, pretty slow.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Combat Infantryman
    2.4km is 1.5 miles. 11:56 is a trot for this. Treadmill may suck for running but the only way to improve running is to run.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post

The next test is hand grip test (for what ever reason). It says 75 kg but I dont know what the means (if it means hold on to 75 kg of weight than that shall be easy!).

Finally, 2.4 km run in a max time of 11:56. This easy? I dont really run very much but I would like to think I am not that bad at it. I cant go running outside now because it is winter and I dont consider a treadmill run to be valid.

Next question, will I lose much muscle during training? It is only 2 months... My only concern is getting enough protein, and I am sure that if I walk in with a tub of protein powder they're going to have something to say about it lol.

Interesting BFG, you still going to school? I have a buddy going to school with me who signed up for the reserves, they're paying for his entire tuition + spending money + accomadations, but when he graduates he has to put a couple years in. I've thought about joining the armed forces myself, but those requirements are really easy, I think they have two categories of fitness though(I could be thinking RMC though...). There should be another one with more difficult requirements, and if you enter with it, you get a certain status.

Congrats though!
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    Because that is how the Canadian army works
    almost finishing the job and then quiting instead?
    Last edited by North; 02-25-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Pretty sure Canada is doing a legit job in Afghanistan at the moment unlike the rest of NATO who have been flaking out.

I didn't know that winter precluded anyone from running outside. Aren't the roads clear?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    almost finishing the job and then quiting instead?
    There's a good chance that's exactly how Iraq is going to end, so laugh it up now.

BFG: The hand grip test is a squeeze test. If you weigh 75 kg or more and can do chin ups you shouldn't have a problem, but don't underestimate it. Try and break the ****ing meter because it's a lot harder to finish out the squeeze than start it.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Watchya talkn bout willis
    People can't grasp a freakin joke around here
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Seriously? That's all you need to be able to do for the Canadian Army? Wow.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

lakeripple

I went to the recruiting office today and they told me that exact thing. Personally, I dont think I'm ready to give 4 years of service. Ill be getting $5500 for 2 months of training, not bad!

And yeh Canada is doing quite well in Afghanistan. All we have to do is chase them with a hockey skate

Guido your forgetting the aptitude test... I did a practice one... basically, one question was UP is to DOWN as LEFT is to...

Some hard stuff eh? lol

Nothing against the Canadian army but geez, 19 pushups??? That can't be the minimal number...
    Not for self, but for others

Bench Press: 270 Squat: 250 Dead Lift: 365

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''

Quote Originally Posted by TJ2389 View Post
    Nothing against the Canadian army but geez, 19 pushups??? That can't be the minimal number...
    Quotas.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by TJ2389 View Post
    What do you mean can't be the minimal number? What else would it be, the maximum number?

In high school a guy came out for the rugby team because he wasn't in good enough shape to pass the fitness test to get into RMC for engineering. Every day at the end of practice we'd watch him try the pushups. The day before testing he could only do 17. Somehow he hit 19 on testing day.

When he showed up at RMC they put him in a remedial fitness program (all the fat guys had to wake up an hour or two early and do extra fitness training). He came back after that first year and could knock out 60 pushups no problem.

They just want to make sure you aren't completely physically ******ed. If you can do your 19 pushups then they know you will make it through training and get up to an acceptable fitness level.

What do you mean can't be the minimal number? What else would it be, the maximum number?
    Thats just a really low min. number, seems like a women's number (no sexist, women and men have different number req. for pushups).
    Last edited by TJ2389; 02-25-2008 at 08:45 PM.
    Not for self, but for others

Bench Press: 270 Squat: 250 Dead Lift: 365

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''

If you can do more than 19pushups you are too good for them.

They don't test you on chinups, but they expect you to be able to do at least 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Bupp View Post
    They don't test you on chinups, but they expect you to be able to do at least 6.
    Piece of cake!

Canada has an army?

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Yes. It deploys on snow mobile from our hidden igloo bunkers. When the next ice age hits the world will be OURS! Mwa mwa mwahahahaha!
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg