The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Push-Ups Everyday?

Anything wrong with doing push-ups everday? I have heard it is ok to do them till failure everyday.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You heard wrong. That's not only wrong, but it's pointless. Make sure the next time you talk to the person that told you that to smear dog poo in their eyes.

On a side note, what are your goals?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

It shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    You heard wrong. That's not only wrong, but it's pointless. Make sure the next time you talk to the person that told you that to smear dog poo in their eyes.

On a side note, what are your goals?
    I was not planning on doing them till failure but I like to do a variety of push-ups everyday. I have been doing them everyday on top of the wbb1.1 routine for about 2 weeks now and it seems as if my arms are getting a little more toned than before. I am more concerned about being toned than overall big and some of the push-ups I do are more of a crossfit type exercise than anything and it seems to be helping me. Should I stop doing them everyday?

Muscle grows when you rest and what you are doing will lead to over training. I personally would drop the push ups, just do wbb1.1, and drop your calories if your overall goal is just to get tone.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    I was not planning on doing them till failure but I like to do a variety of push-ups everyday. I have been doing them everyday on top of the wbb1.1 routine for about 2 weeks now and it seems as if my arms are getting a little more toned than before. I am more concerned about being toned than overall big and some of the push-ups I do are more of a crossfit type exercise than anything and it seems to be helping me. Should I stop doing them everyday?
    either your diet is not static or you are experiencing placebo. so... YES, stop doing them everyday. The only realistic way to get "toned" is through diet not pushups.
    Sarvamangalam!

Doing pushups every day is not going to cause overtraining.

Quote Originally Posted by Bupp View Post
    Doing pushups every day is not going to cause overtraining.
    It's pointless and time could be better spent actually doing things to progress. If he's trying to become a push-up champion, then it might be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    It's pointless and time could be better spent actually doing things to progress. If he's trying to become a push-up champion, then it might be a different story.
    I am not just doing push-ups. I am currently doing the wbb1.1 routine, adding in some crossfit training when my energy levels are right, and I am currently training with my college soccer team. I am very involved in other training than just push-ups but I enjoy doing them because they seem to help tone my arms a little bit more than usual.

I am very involved in other training than just push-ups but I enjoy doing them because they seem to help tone my arms a little bit more than usual.
    Define "toning".

James

push ups

I personally never do pushups because I think the reps are to high for any real growth, I've seen other guys doing them in the gym and have always been curious though....good question

I am not just doing push-ups. I am currently doing the wbb1.1 routine, adding in some crossfit training when my energy levels are right, and I am currently training with my college soccer team. I am very involved in other training than just push-ups but I enjoy doing them because they seem to help tone my arms a little bit more than usual.
    No, they aren't "toning" anything. Definition is achieved through lowering your body fat via diet.

Last time I checked you wanted advice. If you wanted validation of what you are already doing go talk to someone who does not know anything about lifting.

Anything wrong with doing push-ups everday? I have heard it is ok to do them till failure everyday.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-28-2008 at 07:54 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Actual bodyfat loss will determine your level of "tone" or definition. However doing pushups will build endurance and not strength. If you are looking for an athletic build from like a mens fitness perspective then push-ups are ok however I would err on the side of caution when talking about going to failure every day with them. You will most likely need to rest at least every other day. If you have a chest routine then I would do them on chest day as a finisher for the workout.

Keep your diet clean and good luck on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Last time I checked you wanted advice. If you wanted validation of what you are already doing go talk to someone who does not know anything about lifting.
    I got a range of answers when I asked for advice and I only replied when people thought I was just doing push-ups. The other time I replied is when someone asked me what my goals were. Thanks for chiming in though.
    Last edited by SteveW; 02-28-2008 at 08:47 AM.

I got a range of answers when I asked for advice and I only replied when people thought I was just doing push-ups. The other time I replied is when someone asked me what my goals were. Thanks for chiming in though.
    it has already been explained that pushups will not do much for you in regard to "tone" and strength, but your response is simply reasserting what you think you know by validating youself with the "results" you think you get from them. it is beside the point about when you replied and why you replied. the fact is that you replied with an assesment that is simply untrue and unfounded.

IE:
    I enjoy doing them because they seem to help tone my arms a little bit more than usual.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-28-2008 at 08:58 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Notice I said they "seem" to help tone my arms a bit more. I thought that there was probably something wrong with doing them everyday to failure like I have heard people doing thats why I asked. If I thought doing them everyday was perfectly ok why would I have asked in the first place for opinions? Fact is I have been doing them everyday with my current routine for about two weeks and it seems as if they have helped a little bit with what I am trying to do. However after reading what people said (and never disagreeing with what they had to say) I have my answer that doing them everyday is not a god idea. Why don't you read a little more into my post and realize that I was not trying to contradict anyone's reply to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by k_nine110 View Post
    Actual bodyfat loss will determine your level of "tone" or definition. However doing pushups will build endurance and not strength. If you are looking for an athletic build from like a mens fitness perspective then push-ups are ok however I would err on the side of caution when talking about going to failure every day with them. You will most likely need to rest at least every other day. If you have a chest routine then I would do them on chest day as a finisher for the workout.

Keep your diet clean and good luck on your progress.
    This is the kind of reply I was looking for, not your smart-ass remark.

If you are looking for an athletic build from like a mens fitness perspective then push-ups are ok
    People on the cover of mens fitness have physiques better than 99% of the population, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with this.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    People on the cover of mens fitness have physiques better than 99% of the population, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with this.
    Oh no doubt!!! They have fantastic physiques. I was talking about their athletic builds rather than the "competition" larger frame bodybuilder look. Not implying anything negative. Most of the individuals that I train are looking for that type of build. The first thing that I hear is always "I dont want to use weights cause I dont want to look like a bodybuilder" then they bring a pic (usually out of mens fitness or a similar magazine and I have to go in to explanation mode. Yes they use free weights too. But it was not meant to be a negative comment.

Oh no doubt!!! They have fantastic physiques. I was talking about their athletic builds rather than the "competition" larger frame bodybuilder look. Not implying anything negative. Most of the individuals that I train are looking for that type of build. The first thing that I hear is always "I dont want to use weights cause I dont want to look like a bodybuilder" then they bring a pic (usually out of mens fitness or a similar magazine and I have to go in to explanation mode. Yes they use free weights too. But it was not meant to be a negative comment.
    The guys on the cover of men's fitness are bodybuilders, so don't tell him to go and do push-ups.

Ultra-muscular competition bodybuilders only look that way because they take massive amounts of steroids, have obsessive-compulsive dieting habits and extremely well-structured programs.
    Last edited by OGROK; 02-28-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Wow, another one of these threads?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Cool Guy
    While I run the risk of re-opening the "Perfect Pushup" thread's wounds, I think you're fine doing pushups everyday. I don't know what your goal is (i.e. why you want to do pushups everyday), but I doubt you're going to be doing so many each day that you'll cause an overuse injury.

When I was in high school, I did pushups, pullups, and situps everyday and I turned out fine. In fact, I found it to be a great workout although I know someone is going to disagree with me...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurakay View Post
    While I run the risk of re-opening the "Perfect Pushup" thread's wounds, I think you're fine doing pushups everyday. I don't know what your goal is (i.e. why you want to do pushups everyday), but I doubt you're going to be doing so many each day that you'll cause an overuse injury.

When I was in high school, I did pushups, pullups, and situps everyday and I turned out fine. In fact, I found it to be a great workout although I know someone is going to disagree with me...
    I also find push-ups to be a great workout and I know people disagree with me. I didnt expect everyone to think I should do push-ups everyday. I actually figured it was not good to do them everyday but thats not saying that I dont think they help and are not a good workout. I am going to stop doing them everyday and just focus on my wbb1.1 routine and dieting correctly. However I do not plan to stop doing crossfit exercises on top of the wbb1.1 because I believe that I need to do them to keep me in better "athletic shape"

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    It's very subjective to say one type of physique is better than another. In your opinion the men's health physique is very good, in others including me, nah.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Why don't you read a little more into my post and realize that I was not trying to contradict anyone's reply to this thread.
    the second post answered your question. it has also been discussed a million times. and to quote you: "why don't you read a little more" and use the search

i never said you were trying to contradict anyone's reply, all I pointed out is that in spite of all of the information on this site and the replies to your original question that for some reason you still thought pushups to failure were doing you benefit. and your foundation to this "knowledge" that pushups to failure give you more "tone" is completely unjustified and contradictory to the science of it all. (which is widely available)
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-28-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!