Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gonna Bulk Til' I'm Hulk!!!

rebuilding the foundations Herandi's Avatar

Gonna Bulk Til' I'm Hulk!!!

INTRO

Welcome everyone, Iíll just give you the brief history of me. Started lifting about 13 months ago and started bulking nearly straight away. Went from 151 to 182 (not all muscle gained) and then decided to cut, mainly because I wanted abs. Basically I didnít realise how hard cutting was and lost most of my muscle that I had gained in my bulk (lost most of the fat though too). I wouldnít say Iím back were I started because Iím definitely a little bigger and stronger now. Here are the current stats:

Age - 17
    Height Ė 6í1
    Weight Ė 157 lbs (as of this morning)
    Bodyfat % - pretty sure its its around 10% (will test with callipers soon)

Just came back from holiday, and was ill for most of it so my very low weight can partly be contributed to that (think I was 163 before going away), so hopefully gain a few pounds in the first few weeks. Havenít felt this skinny in a long time!

Goals:

Increase all of my lifts
    Build some sturdy wheels and back
    GAIN A LOT OF MUSCLE MASS! (Weigh 196lbs by a years time, about 215 in the future)
    Maintain my bodyfat % or as close to it as I can

After gaining some weight and then losing it again Iíve never been more determined to get big and this time Iím gonna stay big! Any comments/help/ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN! outnumber
    Last edited by Herandi; 10-14-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

DIET/SUPPLEMENTS

I want to try and minimise fat gain so Iím starting out my slow clean bulk at only 3200 calories (not too sure about maintenance, around 2700-2900). I know a lot of you will say ďdude youíre so skinny you should be eating at least 4000 caloriesĒ but I was doing that before and didnít like the fat I was gaining. Iím going slow and steady this time. Hopefully Iíll be gaining between 2-3 pounds per month predominantly muscle.

For daily macros to begin with Iím gonna shoot for

3200 cals
    216 g protein minimum
    75g fat minimum

Macros to be spread out between 6 meals a day, and at least 4 litres of water on lifting days, and 3.5 on the others.

Will try and limit my foods to these:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

For supplements Iíll be taking:

Creatine monohydtrate (capsules)
    Viper energy and recovery drink
    Multi vitamins
    Cod liver oil (capsules)
    and probably pro max protein shakes when I can get some

I will only be posting my macros (maybe just calories) not my entire diet, donít want to bore you allÖ

will start posting diet tomorrow
    Last edited by Herandi; 06-28-2007 at 03:30 AM.

WORKOUT

Iím basically starting with BGB (with a few adjustments), and going to use this routine as long as Iím seeing progress.

One thing to mention is that my gym is pretty crappy and we don't have many barbells/dumbbells, so for this reason i have to use the smith for all of my compound exercises and some others. My membership runs out at the end of july so i will be changing gyms then. Until then though i'm gonna make the most of the gym i'm at now. Below is the best choice of exercises that my gym can accomodate for, it's not ideal:

Day 1 (Tuesday): Horizontal push pull (chest/back), calves, abs

Back (thickness):
    1) barbell rows 5x5
    2) Seated cable rows 3x8

Chest:
    1) Flat barbell bench 5x5
    2) Incline dumbbell press 3x8

Calves:
    1) Standing calf raises 3x20

Abs:
    1) Weighted ab work

Day 2 (Thursday): Quad dominant, hamstring accessory, Biceps

Quads:
    1) Full ATF squats 5x5
    2) Leg press 3x8

Hamstrings:
    1) High foot placement leg press 3x15

Biceps:
    1) Seated alternating bicep curls 5x5
    2) Two arm high pulley cable curl 3x10

Day 3 (Saturday) : Vertical push-pull (shoulders/back), calves, abs

Back (width):
    1) Pull ups (weighted) 5x5
    2) Lat pull downs 3x8

Shoulders:
    1) (warm up) - bent over side laterals 3x10
    2) Seated overhead press 5x5
    3) Standing side laterals 3x8-10

Calves:
    1) Seated calve raises 3x50

Abs:
    1) Weighted ab work

Day 4 (Sunday): Hamstring dominant, quad accessory, triceps, chest, cardio

Hamstrings/glutes:
    1) Romanian Deadlifts 5x5
    2) High foot placement leg press 3x8-12

Quads:
    1) Seated leg extensions 3x10

Chest:
    1) Incline dumbbell flyes 3x10-12

Triceps:
    1) Weighted dips 3x8-12
    2) Cable pressdowns 3x8-12

Cardio:
    20 mins fast incline walk to finish

hopefully i should be able to make progress with this. I will swap exercises around every 6-8 weeks or so to make sure the muscles get shocked when working out. I'll also chuck in some high rep stuff, supersets, change the order of exercises and change resting time between sets every now and then to vary the workout. Just gonna experiment with some high rep calve work to see if it produces results.

I'm going to start off reasonably light some exercises to make sure form is good, in the past i haven't worked legs or back properly which is why these areas are suffering, but hoping to improve on them

I will start posting workouts on saturday...
    Last edited by Herandi; 06-28-2007 at 03:27 AM.

good luck!!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Bulk Til' I'm Hulk... Hahaha, I love it. Best of luck with all your goals man.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

thanks for the support guys, i need as much as i can get!

am on 3200 calories at the moment, gonna weigh myself in a couple of weeks to see how much i've gained and if i need to bump up the calories.

had 3.5 litres water today and got about 200g protein

anyway, first day at the gym on bulk and felt good to be back

30/6/07

Vertical push-pull day: shoulders, back, calves, abs

(WEIGHT(in lbs)XREPS)

Time in gym: 1 hour 5 mins
    Rest between sets: about 1.5/2 mins

PULL UPS (wide grip)
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5 (really struggling on the last few reps of these my back's as weak as hell)

SEATED DUMBELL SHOULDER PRESS
    33x8 (each arm) (15kg)
    44x5 (20kg)
    44x5
    44x5
    44x3 (couldn't get the last reps out! end of my last bulk i was pusing 50's for reps )

LAT PULLDOWNS (behind head)
    200x8 (91kg)
    200x8
    200x8

STANDING SIDE LATERALS (one arm at a time, going to 45 degrees above parallel very slowly and controlled)
    13x8 (each arm) (6kg)
    13x8
    13x8

BENT OVER SIDE LATERALS
    11X10 (each arm)
    11X10
    11X10

SEATED CALVE RAISES
    88x50 (44kg)
    88x50
    88x50
    (mini rest after 25 reps)
    (Calves really stinging after these)

Didn't do the ab work as had to leave gym early and was in a rush.

also first day on the creatine, so hopefully lifts will be going up soon.

Tomorrow leg day and not looking forward to it...
    Last edited by Herandi; 07-24-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Are you taking the ON creatine caps? I am, and man those things look like theyre going up an elephants poop poop. Theyre HOOGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

haha no i'm taking the Met-rx brand capsules, and hell mine are pretty big too

Good luck......I'm 6'2 193 and 3200 cals/day is just about 300 over maint. for me right now, so you should be on a good track, but it might take a while. Just remember that as the weight goes up, the maint. # does as well. I'm stuck right now and can't really decide if I want to be heavier, but I've about decided that #210 is probably where I wanna be. Adding in a serving of Maximus every day for 3-4 months should get me there. I'm one of those peeps that really don't like to eat.....I'd rather be doing something else usually. Good luck with BGB as well......I'm doing it and it's blowing my mind, in a good way.

Nice looking lifts bro
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Love the title of the journal dude. Sounds like you are definitely on the right track. I'm also doing BGB and on a similar controlled bulk now after cutting down to around 12% (Race to 220 lbs? =P).

One thing I will say is that you might consider ditching all the side laterals, at least initially. I started off doing them, too, but I found right away that my front and side delts were getting overtrained by the amount of sheer upper body volume in BGB. At least give it a few weeks and then see if you can add them in. I think you'll be surprised at how much the rowing, pressing, pulling and pushing movements will toast your delts without any direct accessory work to them!

Anyway, I'll follow this man. Good luck. I am sure you will love BGB, it's awesome and you've got a real good plan / good goals laid out here.

SDS - thanks, just curious what weight did you start at? yeah 210 is pretty big prob my ideal weight of the future too, but when i get to 196 i'll see how much bigger i want to get! yeah i am thinking of adding on about 50 cals to my daily intake each month, assuming i'm gaining at an good rate. If you still don't feel big enough at 193 then keep going if i were you. The difference between me and you is i like to eat, which makes it a lot easier to bulk

Deeder - thanks a lot, i'm a weak-ass at the moment but i'm really commited and will hopefully be seeing gains soon.

Noxon - thanks for the support man, good luck with your bulk, i'm about 10% now as i didn't think 12% was lean enough to start a bulk but its up to you and it depends how clean your bulk is. About the side laterals, you have a point but my shoulders are a weak point so i thought the high volume of shoulder work wouldn't hurt? Wow its surprising how many guys are following BGB, i can get a lot of help from you guys.

1/7/07

Hamstring dominant, quad accessory, chest, triceps

Time in gym: 55 mins
    Rest between sets: 1 and 2 mins

Felt energetic in the gym today yet still v. weak

ROMANIAN DEADLIFTS (i have to do these on a smith due to lack of equipment in my gym (gonna change soon!) and also starting off deads low as have had lower back problems in the past)
    132x5 (60kg)
    132x5
    143x5 (65kg)
    143x5
    143x5

HIGH FOOT PLACEMENT LEG PRESS
    110x8 (50kg)
    132x8 (60kg)
    132x8

SEATED LEG EXTENSIONS
    110x10 (50kg)
    110x10
    110x10

INCLINE DUMBBELL FYLES (decided to add these in as a light 2nd chest workout)
    33x10 (15kg)
    39x10 (17.5kg)
    39x10

WEIGHTED DIPS
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BWx7 (struggled with the last reps, gonna need a few more weeks before start adding a dip belt with weights)

CABLE PRESSDOWNS
    141x8 (64kg)
    130x8 (59kg)
    130x8

In maybe a month or so might add in 20 mins of fast incline walk at the end of this workout as my cardio for the week, but need to put on some mass first!

can't weight to change gyms, the crap equipment in mine is really hindering my exercise choices.
    Last edited by Herandi; 07-24-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Good workout man. When are you switching gyms? Smith machine for RDL's has got to suck!

switching at end of july when my membership runs out. and hell yeah it does lol, its so hard to try and keep back straight and shins vertical to target hams, think i've got my form on it as good as i can now though.

only managed to get 2600 cals yesterday! not good and must have overtrained calves on saturday so can't walk still today so gonna have to miss gym, oh well, im gonna eat well today though and 5L of water hopefuly

5/7/07

Horizontal Push-pull day: Chest, back, calves, abs

Time in gym: about 1 hour 15 mins?
    Rest between sets: between 60 and 90 seconds

went with a friend so chatted a bit which is why the workout was a bit long...

BARBELL ROWS (first time doing rows with barbell and i like em a lot )
    88x5(warm up)
    110x5 (50kg)
    132x5 (60kg)
    121x5 (55kg)
    121x5
    121x5
    121x5

FLAT BARBELL BENCH PRESS
    88x5 (40kg)
    132x5 (60kg)
    138x5 (62.5kg)
    143x5 (65kg)
    138x5 (62.5kg)
    138x5

SEATED CABLE ROWS
    185x8 (84kg)
    200x8 (91kg)
    200x8

DECLINE DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS
    50x8 (22.5kg)
    50x8
    50x8

WEIGHTED CRUNCHES
    22x8 (10kg)
    22x8
    22x8

Left out the calve stuff still finding it hard to walk let alone work them out

My bench press is unbelievably weak argh!
    not bad workout overall...
    Last edited by Herandi; 07-24-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Good work today man. Don't worry about the weight.. That will come. What is important is that you approach each workout with intensity and you will get the results you're looking for in due time. =]

In the future you might consider doing heavy 3x8 calf raises instead of high volume calf raises. At least in my experience, this leads to less recovery time than doing tons of high volume calf raises -- and in theory at least, lifting heavy for 6-8 reps is going to cause muscle growth while doing a set of 50 light reps of ANYTHING just makes me cringe. Walking = volume calf exercise!

Love the journal name! And yeah Id stick to way less reps on those calf raises. I couldnt imagine the burn after 50 reps of anything. Otherwise lookin good!

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

Noxon - thanks for the support, i appreciate it, and about ditching the side laterals i think you might be right, my shoulders seem to be hurting all the time in this routine haha, i might just cut down the volume on them. On the bench press it just seems odd to me, i mean at the moment i can dumbbell press about 55 each arm and i thought that on the smith machine i would be able to bench press at least 160/170 because i thought it would be easier on the smith but find im not able to get the drive that i want, i feel it restricts me?? On the calve work i think 50 reps is a bit insane, but i've read that as calves get worked most of the day when you're active that they respond better to high reps? i might do 3x8 heavy one day and 3x20 light another day for calves.

Pulse - thanks for dropping by, and yeah IT BURNS LIKE HELL

I would avoid using machines as much as possible as a rule... Smith machine included, especially for a basic movement like bench press or squat. Generally, use machines for an exercise that is difficult or impossible to perform with free weights... Those are few and far between.

As far as calves responding to higher reps, I've heard the same and it may very well be true... But higher reps is generally considered 12-20, not 50!

Nice workout man, first time in here, good luck gaining the weight back should be easier this time since you did it before. I am on BGB as well, really liking it.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Noxon - yeah i know how terrible machines are but my gym equipment is so limited and my barbells only go up to 100lbs . I'll be changing gyms beginning of august though which should be good

Howard - thanks a lot man, good to see you drop by, yea i have checked out your journal a few times actually good to see you're on BGB too. Yeah hopefully muscle memory will kick in soon i'll pop bye soon
    Last edited by Herandi; 07-06-2007 at 06:25 PM.

7/7/07

Vertical Push-pull day: shoulders, back, calves, abs

Time in gym: 1 hour 10 mins
    Rest between sets: about 1 min 30

PULL UPS
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5

SEATED DUMBBELL PRESS
    33x5 (15kg) (each arm)
    44x5 (20kg)
    44x5
    50x5 (22.5kg) (strength returning a little perhaps?...)
    44x5 (20kg)

LAT PULLDOWNS (behind head)
    200x8 (91kg)
    220x8 (100kg)
    220x8

BENT OVER SIDE LATERALS
    13x10 (6kg)
    13x10
    13x10

WEIGHTED AB WORK

Decided to ditch the standing side laterals as shoulders really hurting still from thursday (not sure whether this is from the barbell rows??) and ditched the calve work as they still aren't feeling great.

Thought this was a good workout, starting to get my old strength back slowly but surely and the pull ups becoming easier, will try and add weight on in a couple of weeks.

Not sure whether to bring my calories per day up to 3300 from 3200, will probably wait until a few weeks to see how well i'm gaining first.
    Last edited by Herandi; 07-24-2007 at 04:31 PM.