The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

L.A. pet law requires pets sterilized at 4 months

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/26/pet...ap/index.html#

Does anyone else see a problem with this? I can see the price of dogs and cats skyrocketing as only professional breeders will be able to sell them.

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Tuesday signed one of the nation's toughest laws on pet sterilization, requiring most dogs and cats to be spayed or neutered by the time they are 4 months old.

A new law in L.A. requires that puppies be neutered by the time they are four months.

1 of 2 The ordinance is aimed at reducing and eventually eliminating the thousands of euthanizations conducted in Los Angeles' animal shelters every year.

"We will, sooner rather than later, become a no-kill city and this is the greatest step in that direction," Councilman Tony Cardenas said as he held a kitten at a City Hall news conference.

Councilman Richard Alarcon, who like Cardenas is a co-author of the bill, brought his two pet Chihuahuas to the event to be neutered in a van operated by the city.

The ordinance does exempt some animals, including those that have competed in shows or sporting competitions, guide dogs, animals used by police agencies and those belonging to professional breeders.

The average pet owner, however, must have their dog or cat spayed or neutered by the time it reaches 4 months of age (as late as 6 months with a letter from a veterinarian). People with older unneutered pets and newcomers to the city with animals also have to obey the law.

First-time offenders will receive information on subsidized sterilization services and be given an additional 60 days. If they still fail to comply they could be fined $100 and ordered to serve eight hours of community service. A subsequent offense could result in a $500 fine or 40 hours of community service.

The ordinance brings the nation's second-largest city into line with about a dozen of its neighbors that have similar laws.

Many states require animals adopted from shelters to be sterilized, and New York City requires the same for animals bought from pet shops, but restrictions such as those in Southern California are rare. A 2006 Rhode Island law requires most cats to be sterilized.

A measure similar to Los Angeles' passed the California Assembly last year but did not gain state Senate support.

Los Angeles animal shelters took in 50,000 cats and dogs last year and euthanized approximately 15,000 at a cost of $2 million, according to city officials.

Bob Barker, the retired game-show host who famously ended every "Price is Right" show with a call for sterilizing pets, pushed for the law's adoption and was among those at Tuesday's news conference.

"The next time that you hear me say, 'Help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered,' I can add, 'It's the law in Los Angeles,"' a jubilant Barker said.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

To me that's better than having to kill thousands of animals that don't have a home.

You must not get out much. I've heard much more stupid things in my life.

As far as laws go, this isn't that bad. If you have an indoor pet the only way they'd know is if your vet narc'd. Of course, they might be required to.

Just go to an animal shelter and look at all the dogs and cats that aren't puppies and kittens and therefore have practically no chance of finding a home. It's better to stop them from ever getting there than having to kill them, in my opinion.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 02-27-2008 at 08:54 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

I think it's a good idea, although pretty hard to enforce. I doubt even half of all pet owners will obide by the new law.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Gamer/Lifter
    A bit exterme, there should more expementions. Like if you can prove your above avgage on pet ownership.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Banned
    Nothing wrong with it.

I love laws like these. If you heard the numbers of dogs that have been euthanized in this country, you would be more than shocked. Plus, this helps reduce the risk of puppy mills, which are one of the worst parts of dog breeding ever. This would also allow for healthier animals to be born and raised. You would know more information about the puppy you are getting and would be better able to care for it.

Plus, most people who have pets aren't in the business to breed them. So what would a little snip do? If you want to breed, you could probably file some paperwork and wouldn't have to get the surgery.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

So exactly what goes into a female being spayed? I always figured it'd be a bit more humane to have the females spayed but not necessarily the males neutered but that's just me.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    So exactly what goes into a female being spayed? I always figured it'd be a bit more humane to have the females spayed but not necessarily the males neutered but that's just me.
    It's a lot more expensive to spay since it requires a general anesthetic due it being a surgical procedure. They knock the dog out, open up the abdomen and remove the ovaries and ovarian tubes.

Neutering can be done with a local anesthetic.

Livestock castration is particularly unpleasant. It's usually done with a very tight rubber band.

Quote Originally Posted by bas2178 View Post
    It's a lot more expensive to spay since it requires a general anesthetic due it being a surgical procedure. They knock the dog out, open up the abdomen and remove the ovaries and ovarian tubes.

Neutering can be done with a local anesthetic.

Livestock castration is particularly unpleasant. It's usually done with a very tight rubber band.
    Exactly, it's just like humans. For females it's a whole surgery. Males have an outpatient procedure. Recovery time is longer for females as well.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Fantastic law! especially one dog breed would benefit from this.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.