Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw PL meets

Raw PL meets

Anyone have info on where some are being held in the Northeast? I would like to start participating this year with my meager lifts.

You can search for meets on powerliftingwatch.com. They also have information aout what federations are raw.

If you don't mind, I have a related question, and that is: what are the most respected or best raw federations to lift in?
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123 View Post
    You can search for meets on powerliftingwatch.com. They also have information aout what federations are raw.

If you don't mind, I have a related question, and that is: what are the most respected or best raw federations to lift in?
    Anything that doesn't have their big 3 as bicep curl, tricep kickback, and leg press.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Anything that doesn't have their big 3 as bicep curl, tricep kickback, and leg press.
    ..wh-what? I just ordered a new double-ply bicep curl suit!
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

powerliftingwatch.com

There are usually a few raw meets in VT.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

probably the USAPL. 100% RAW was up there but lately they've taken some heat about their drug testing, which I'm not informed enough to make a judgement call on

Please keep in mind you can lift 'raw' in any meet. So find a meet near you, and lift in it, regardless of their gear rules.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Thanks for the info guys.

Wannabebig Member
    Where in the Northeast?

New Jersey.

Wannabebig Member

Delaware Power Classic

May 10th - third annual APA Delaware Power Classic -the Training Center in New Castle DE.
    We have a recognized raw division, as well as standard gear and unlimited gear. That means your lift goes into the books recorded as raw.
    Some sanctions let you lift raw, but do not recognize the lift as being such.

The DPC has in the past had about an even number of raw and equipped lifters.

I am one of the meet directors, any questions you have you can PM me.
    I am a diehard raw lifter myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Please keep in mind you can lift 'raw' in any meet. So find a meet near you, and lift in it, regardless of their gear rules.
    I know competing isn't always about winning or placing for some people, but IMO I don't see the point in ever lifting at a non-raw meet raw. I guess if you just want the experience, but if your the least bit competitive you might as well expect last place.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I know competing isn't always about winning or placing for some people, but IMO I don't see the point in ever lifting at a non-raw meet raw. I guess if you just want the experience, but if your the least bit competitive you might as well expect last place.
    Absolutely agree .. when I was choosing sanctions, as not only a competitive lifter but also as a meet promoter, my first priority, as a diehard raw lifter, is always the recognition of the raw division as its own entity.

pardon for the newb question, but since we are on the subject, but are you alowed to use knee wraps in raw powerlifting meets?
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel99 View Post
    pardon for the newb question, but since we are on the subject, but are you alowed to use knee wraps in raw powerlifting meets?
    The answer to that question can be different with each seperate federation.
    APA / WPA allows wrist wraps, knee wraps and a belt in the raw division.

That's exactly what I did... well, I beat one guy.

It was an awesome experience.

Kate, I live in Baltimore, and I'm going to try to make it up for the meet.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    What about to get a legitimate raw lift on the books in the federation that you compete in? I did my last meet raw and came in second place. Oddly enough, I got beat by a guy who also went raw. Fed was APF.

I thought if you lifted in a federation that isn't exclusively raw then it doesn't go in the books as raw.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Wannabebig Member
    I thought if you lifted in a federation that isn't exclusively raw then it doesn't go in the books as raw.
    Different federations have different rules - some recognize both, some recognize only one division - no separation between geared or raw, some recognize raw on only the state level (APF) but not national or world levels. I chose to work in the APA becaue the APA recognizes the raw division on a national and world level.
    I used to run my meets as APF, alongside the DE state APF chairman, and he chose to keep raw state records even before the APF made the decision to officially recognize raw divisions. Even now, APF meet directors do not have to allow a separate raw division if they choose not to.

[/QUOTE]Kate, I live in Baltimore, and I'm going to try to make it up for the meet.[/QUOTE]
    Paul - Hope you can make it to the Delaware Power Classic on May 10th.
    I go all out and try to make sure everyone has a blast!
    Last edited by Powerfulkate; 03-15-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    And by the way................
    AT LARGE NUTRITION kindly sponsored one of my meets in the past, and I believe that I can say that I was given word that they will be once again helping to sponsor the 2008 Delaware Power Classic -
    thank you Chris Mason!

Thanks for the post Kate, I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfulkate View Post
    And by the way................
    AT LARGE NUTRITION kindly sponsored one of my meets in the past, and I believe that I can say that I was given word that they will be once again helping to sponsor the 2008 Delaware Power Classic -
    thank you Chris Mason!
    Yep, done!

So should I wear my At Large shirt since they're a sponsor? Or maybe I shouldn't since I won't be lifting that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    probably the USAPL. 100% RAW was up there but lately they've taken some heat about their drug testing, which I'm not informed enough to make a judgement call on
    That's what I was about to say... USAPL and 100% raw fed are the closest you're gonna get. You can compete raw in ANY meet you enter, just don't expect to place against suits and multiply gear. If you're just looking to lift and put on a show and have a great time then it doesn't matter..if you're looking to be competitive with everyone besides yourself, you might better look into one of those two organizations but again, some FEDS do have an open class! Never hurts to try!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPac View Post
    So should I wear my At Large shirt since they're a sponsor? Or maybe I shouldn't since I won't be lifting that much.
    Start gobbling down their supplements - you will be blasting up big #'s before you know it!

The Raw Division with APA is a seperate division, so if you compete in the raw division, you will ONLY be competing against other raw lifters.
    Last edited by Powerfulkate; 03-20-2008 at 12:53 PM.