The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Seeking advice on equpiment purchases

I am looking into opening a gym and am researching equipment to buy. Most of what I am looking at is free weight and plate loaded stuff. The only machines I'm looking at are a lat pull down/cable row and cable cross over.
    Here are my questions-

1. What are good companies to do business with? Both the manufactures and distributers, I have been mostly looking at Iron Company's website and Legend Fitness equipment.

2. How much weight do I need to have on hand? How much in plates, how heavy in dumbells?

3. Enlighten me on power racks. I can see how versitile they could be but do they offer any greater function if i'm already going to have Olympic flat, incline, and deline and benches, a squat rack, dip and pull up station.

These questions may seem pretty basic for someone thinking about opening a gym but I have very little local basis of comparison for a good weightlifting/fight gym. Our local YMCA caters to the geriatric crowd, and the only other place in town if more women's fitness oriented. The only gym that was geared toward weightlifting was run by a crazy man who would sometimes run off paying customers beacouse he forgot that they paid(he recently closed after running off customers). His equipment was a mixture of stuff members put there, some commercial Items, and stuff made for him by the local vo/tech (nice stuff, but it was a once off and not something you can buy today)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How many people are you planning on being able to host and of what skill-level, type of training, etc.?

Here is my opinion: for power racks, these are the best: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=167&pid=921

Honestly, I would get all my equipment from EFS. They are definitely solid and really nice customer support. Not sure how they are on a commercial level, but I'm sure just as awesome. I bought a power rack from them and the thing is a ****ing rock. I love it. They can't be beat.

For plates, go with what works for your budget. I got all my plates at Ironcompany. Personally I hate plates that are not round, but others may feel different. Hex plates are just a pain in the ass to deadlift because you can't get it exactly where you want it. Make sure you get good bars. I went with a York bar; good price and decent bars. Again, I have no idea how Ironcompany does on that commercial level.

As far as how much weight to have on hand, that's tough. I would start with "enough" and build up more as your client base grows. Perhaps allow for 4 plates per bench, 6 plates per rack. That's just my opinion though. You won't need as many 25s, but you'll definitely need plenty of 10s. Not as many 5s and 2.5s, which are cheap anyway.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Banned
    If you are serious about checking into this, contact Scott Tully at BS Olympic Gym. bsolympicgym.com

He can provide a quote on alot of the items you are looking at. He has worked with alot of gyms, schools and universities and provides great service!

Wannabebig Member
    There will be a wide range of skill levels present. As to the type of training. It is going to be a lifting/fight gym. On the fight side I will have bags, pads, a mat room and a ring. As to the training part, I know some instructors around town in a few different martial arts who cannot afford facilities and intend to try and work something out with them to where they have a place they can teach and I have an additional draw for customers. On the weightlifting side of things there is not really any such thing as trainers in this town, I am selling the facilities more than the expertise.

Another question.

What would you, as a customer, like to see in an new gym along the general lines of what I have described.

Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-04-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Out of all those shots, this one is my favorite - http://www.elitefts.com/clients/tps/collrack.jpg

That's my type of place right there, man.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Banned
    my gym has nebula, very nice quality and has allot of equipment to choose from.
    http://www.nebula-fitness.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the links, they were very helpfull. I especially liked Total Performance Sports. Seeing those set ups has got me thinking about the best way to set up the weights and made me realize that I need to do more research on what equipment is common use now.
    This should also help to make things more space efficient with the versitility of the power cages.
    Last edited by Iron_Fist; 03-05-2008 at 02:13 PM.