The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I don't see a problem with this decision. It seems courteous.

Honestly, college or not, I could see it being much harder on the women to keep to those six hours a week than on anyone else to try and fit sessions into the remaining 60 or 70.

note: I'm Canadian, and we do adapt whenever reasonable to allow for special needs of different cultures.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 03-05-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

No men are allowed in the gym between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Mondays, and between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Even the staff during those times is all women.
    Doesn't seem like a huge inconvenience to me. I'm sure half the people raising a stink don't work out at all...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I'm sure they enjoy their government funded loans and grants while wanting to segregate themselves due to their religious bulls***. What happened to seperation of Church and state?
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    this is ****ing stupid. You don't like the American ways and cohed facilities...simple... LEAVE AND GO BACK TO YOUR OWN ****ING COUNTRY
    Amen, brother.

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

It's a private institution which makes it an entirely different situation. A Harvard education is a privilege, not a right.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    What happened to seperation of Church and state?
    I don't know. When was the last time a president, or candidate, didn't invoke God in at least one of his speeches at some point in their career?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    See my major problem with this whole issue is that it is biased and discriminitory (sp?). If a group of fat people got together and said they felt uncomfortable workout out in front of girls, would they give them their own time? NO! How about really scrawny people uncomfortable in front of strong people, would they get their own time? Yet again, no! Either you have to take action for everyone or for no one, it is wrong to pick and chose what groups you help out. Also, dont give me that argument that it is their culture/religion. The negative effects of poor self image can completely destroy individuals so it is fair to say that self-conciousness can compete with culture.
    Weight: 176lbs
    Height: 5'9.5"

Max-
    Bench: 185lbs
    Squat: 255lbs
    Deadlift: 300lbs

Total: 740lbs

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _8_Ball View Post
    This is exactly the type of thing which breads racism.

I must agree with this statement. While I personally do not think its a big deal considering its only six hours sometimes I think we take it a little to far not to offend others.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    It's a private institution which makes it an entirely different situation. A Harvard education is a privilege, not a right.
    I work in Financial Aid and represent several major universities. I guarantee the vast majority of the students there receive some type of government or state aid, funded by American taxpayers. Regardless of it's private, they are one of, if not the, most famous American university, and IMO, shouldn't be such a pushover for foreign country and religious complaining BS.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    I don't know. When was the last time a president, or candidate, didn't invoke God in at least one of his speeches at some point in their career?
    They're excellent sales(wo)men catering to a religious base. We're talking about a school and their policies.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    So what, why should everyone else be handicapped because some girl believes some ridiculous religious binding? I guess the cafeteria better stop serving meat on Fridays during Lent. Your religion should never interfere with my daily life-especially something so stupid. Is there anyone here that actually believes this nonsense is rational?
    They're accomadating a group of their customers needs. They're a private institution, giving them free reign on these issues. They did not do this campus wide, or at the larger more equipped facilities, they gave them the least equipped and least used facility for 6 hours a week. Nothing irrational about that.

Tolerance FTW!
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    They're excellent sales(wo)men catering to a religious base. We're talking about a school and their policies.
    Not a public school and their policies. Law>Prejudice.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    this is ****ing stupid. You don't like the American ways and cohed facilities...simple... LEAVE AND GO BACK TO YOUR OWN ****ING COUNTRY
    I'm Pueblo Indian... And What Ghetto in Europe did you and your ancestors come from?

My ancestors came from England in the 1600's (verified), and helped make this country what it is today.

But since I'm white and not a minority, I guess it's not important, and maybe even racist, to mention that we've only established countries and governments, invented just about everything, and basically made life what it is today ... then we hand it over to bitching ass crying minority groups.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    They're a private institution who are trying to meet the needs and/or demands of their customers. They can do as they please.
    So if I owned a pub, I should be able to reserve all but five minutes of the week to non-Irish, to meet the needs of my customers?

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    So what, why should everyone else be handicapped because some girl believes some ridiculous religious binding? I guess the cafeteria better stop serving meat on Fridays during Lent. Your religion should never interfere with my daily life-especially something so stupid. Is there anyone here that actually believes this nonsense is rational?
    I have to agree I think it's ridiculous to do this. If these women really don't want to workout with men they should have saved up money together and bought an at home gym.

Now at the same time the school has multiple gyms and it's one day a week for 6 hours not such a big deal. Then again maybe the other gyms are very crowded during that day because of this situation. I'm sure this affects some other students in a negative way probably not many.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    I'm Pueblo Indian... And What Ghetto in Europe did you and your ancestors come from?
    They came from italy and germany...they also didn't expect their needs to be catered to like these particular muslims...and they adapted by learning the AMERICAN WAYS AND LANGUAGE

That college should start installing religious water fountains too!....and parking spots! lol This is so dumb.

@ Cirino83, anelka, and HahnB

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I'd bust in during muslim hours and look at them and make inappropriate sexual comments to them.

Best post of the thread bro ...

Honestly , it's a college so I'd teach them something ... as in , covering up is such a stupid idea ... get over it and work with other PEOPLE . Time to learn something without degrading yourselves any longer .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

If I ran Havard it would only be a business decision.

Determine the ratio of muslim women who want private workout time vs. the total number of people working out across the entire campus.

If there are 6 women for 6,000 people working out (assuming many at Harvard don't work out, lol), then they should get .1% of the available gym hours.

If there are 4 gyms available 16 hours each day, that equals 64 available hours. 64 hours X .1% = 3.84 minutes.

they should get 3.84 minutes completely to themselves.

Sounds like they need to recruit more people to workout with them if they want to get some full sessions in.

PS - weaklings and fat people are also welcome to petition for closed gym sessions.

Wait, that's awesome, I'll seperate the gyms into the Fat Gym. The Weakling Gym (that's where I'd go). The woman gym. ...and the Buff gym.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Wannabebig Member
    Haha i think mickyjune understands my point...or hes making fun of me, i cant tell...but yeah i know Havard has the right to do what they want but its still a bit much.

They should start curving all of the white students math grades bc they dont want to feel inferior to the indian/asian genuises .

PS- ^joke, dont get all upset
    Weight: 176lbs
    Height: 5'9.5"

Max-
    Bench: 185lbs
    Squat: 255lbs
    Deadlift: 300lbs

Total: 740lbs

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
    They should start curving all of the white students math grades bc they dont want to feel inferior to the indian/asian genuises .
    I'm really offended. The asian in me is going to kick your butt.

...but I was serious. The only way a private institution should make decisions is per business reasons.

...maybe they are trying to attract more muslim students to get some sort of grant, like someone said earlier in this thread.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
    Haha i think mickyjune understands my point...or hes making fun of me, i cant tell...but yeah i know Havard has the right to do what they want but its still a bit much.

PS- ^joke, dont get all upset
    Cool! BBB and I are closet ASIANS.

Whaddya think Tess - recessive gene?

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Cool! BBB and I are closet ASIANS.

Whaddya think Tess - recessive gene?

BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)