The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I also agree that this sort of thing fuels racism and further separates people. I can understand if they want to bring a prayer mat, or beads, or whatever they want to class or where ever else. But closing the gym to other people is over the top.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I think it's fine and very considerate. Not to mention it's only one gym. Everything is pretty much within walking distance in college. If you are too lazy to walk an extra 15 minutes to go to a different gym, I don't know why you're going to the gym in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    They came from italy and germany...they also didn't expect their needs to be catered to like these particular muslims...and they adapted by learning the AMERICAN WAYS AND LANGUAGE
    You didn't adapt to our ways(native), and for it you should take yourself back to your gypsy grandparents in Italy.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Sorry, but if you come to America and go to an American school, be prepared to adapt to American culture. If I were to go to the middle east, I wouldn't expect it to be ok to walk around in my boxers or make sexual comments to the women there.
    Wow, Alt you're giving the rest of us tolerant Americans a terrible name. Harvard is a BASTION of diversity but you're screaming at the top of your lungs to "adapt to American culture"? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergs View Post
    Any particular reason you're assuming they're foreign...?
    Amen. They're Muslim (a religious distinction not a national background). Hell, I'd bet that these women in question speak English quite well and know all about American culture. Does that mean that they should have to do something that is morally repugnant (work out in front of another man)? Nope. Nor does Harvard have a REQUIREMENT to accommodate them - however, they have the prerogative to do so if they choose. Obviously they chose to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    this is ****ing stupid. You don't like the American ways and cohed facilities...simple... LEAVE AND GO BACK TO YOUR OWN ****ING COUNTRY
    \

Man, C, you lost me there - seriously, I can't stand when anyone here gives the whole "learn our language/culture or get the hell out, yeehaw" bit.

How about this as a compromise - Harvard closes the gym to women for the exact same amount of hours each week and only lets guys in. Voila, problem solved.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    My ancestors came from England in the 1600's (verified), and helped make this country what it is today.

But since I'm white and not a minority, I guess it's not important, and maybe even racist, to mention that we've only established countries and governments, invented just about everything, and basically made life what it is today ... then we hand it over to bitching ass crying minority groups.
    YEEEHAWWWW. See you at the local KKK meeting tonight Billy Bob.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

This really is unfair, Imagine the uproar if only white males were allowed in for a few hours every day.

Quote Originally Posted by anelka View Post
    So if I owned a pub, I should be able to reserve all but five minutes of the week to non-Irish, to meet the needs of my customers?
    Your retort is not logically applicable to the situation at hand. We have a religious group, not an ethnic one, who for well established reasons would like a section of the facilities to work out in for a short period of the week. Not an ethnic group being given all of the facility for the vast majority of the week.
    Last edited by CrazyK; 03-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.

My ancestors came from England in the 1600's (verified), and helped make this country what it is today.

But since I'm white and not a minority, I guess it's not important, and maybe even racist, to mention that we've only established countries and governments, invented just about everything, and basically made life what it is today ... then we hand it over to bitching ass crying minority groups.
    Uhhh yeah you just said that everything good that ever happened in America came from Anglo-Saxon immigrants and their children? Whoa there white power, you're walking on thin ice.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

The human race is ****ed all around. End of story.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

I can't believe some of the racist bull**** being thrown around in here... Grow the **** up.

I also noticed that many of those people seem to be right around 18 years old. Coincidence?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with religious bull****. Why should some idiotic religious practice affect MY life? If your religion tells you that you can't wear gym clothes around men, good for you. If you choose to knowingly engage in practices this ignorant, choose to do so at your own expense.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

You really need to study history a little more...

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with religious bull****. Why should some idiotic religious practice affect MY life? If your religion tells you that you can't wear gym clothes around men, good for you. If you choose to knowingly engage in practices this ignorant, choose to do so at your own expense.
    You go to Harvard Hahn? If not, I don't understand why you or anyone else in the thread gives a rat's ass. The anger in this thread is what's disturbing and not at all surprising.
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-05-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

The Planet of Water and Iron, Galveston TX
    I was going to comment on the original post, but after reading the asinine assumptions and generalizations in this thread, I am simply disgusted.

Your opinion is yours to have, but assumptions and generalizations are just ignorant. How the hell do you know where these women were born? You dont. It doesn't matter anyway.

My grandfather got off the potato boat from Ireland and became a cop. He had to deal with bigotry back then too. Does that mean I'm not really American?
    Stay calm and aggressive. -Gabby Reece

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    I'm sorry, not racism. Religious intolerance. Better?

Just because you do not have the same beliefs as these people does not make their religion and culture ignorant. In fact, the ignorant one is you.

I don't understand the appeal of abstract art or expensive shoes. Does that make all people who like abstract art and expensive shoes ignorant?

What's SO horrible about accommodating these women for a few hours each week? It has already been stated that there are other gyms on campus. What's the issue? Are you also against Curves for Women? Mom and tot groups? Or is it just that you dislike Muslims?
    Last edited by deeder; 03-05-2008 at 07:50 PM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Just because you do not have the same beliefs as these people does not make their religion and culture ignorant
    I disagree. Religion, for the most part, is a fairy tale story that is responsible for two things over the course of our existence on this earth-ignorance and death. Religion fuels countless wars and makes people do incredibly stupid things.

If someones religion tells them that every Tuesday they have to bash their thumb with a hammer and I think it's stupid, that is not being intolerant. That is calling someone an idiot that deserves to be called an idiot. Some of these religious practices aren't far from this example.

If someone wants to practice their traditions, start a gym for Muslim women, or workout at home. Don't push your practices on other people, which is EXACTLY what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

You go to Harvard Hahn? If not, I don't understand why you or anyone else in the thread gives a rat's ass. The anger in this thread is what's disturbing and not at all surprising.
    Last edited by HahnB; 03-05-2008 at 08:03 PM.

If someone wants to practice their traditions, start a gym for Muslim women, or workout at home. Don't push your practices on other people, which is EXACTLY what they're doing.
    How are they pushing anything on anyone Hahn?

You know what really pisses me off? Business taking vacations on Christmas Day! My right to shop or do business should not be impaired because some a-hole wants to take a day or week off to celebrate some religious event.

sarcastic in case you couldn't tell...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I also agree that this sort of thing fuels racism and further separates people. I can understand if they want to bring a prayer mat, or beads, or whatever they want to class or where ever else. But closing the gym to other people is over the top.
    If it isn't about race, then how does it fuel racism?

The amount of ignorance in this thread is sad. The fact that so many of you care about a Harvard decision that doesn't change one thing about your life is ridiculous. Men can't work out for six hours a week at one of many facilities on the campus, better start with the idiotic rhetoric "if they don't like our country, they can get out", "we built this country", "I shouldn't be inconvenienced for someone else, because I'm a self centered douche bag", "ignorant religious beliefs" and all the rest that are on display.

Have you guys forgotten about all of the facilities that are in business solely for women? Where's the uproar over them? How about the classes in gyms that are for women only? A little tolerance would be a good thing for our country.

I disagree. Religion, for the most part, is a fairy tale story that is responsible for two things over the course of our existence on this earth-ignorance and death. Religion fuels countless wars and makes people do incredibly stupid things.
    You see the hypocrisy in this statement right? You're on here bashing Muslim women for their beliefs, being ignorant to their beliefs and then saying that is all religion is responsible for. You're fueling intolerance and what you blaim on religion because of a decision that has nothing to do with you.

If someones religion tells them that every Tuesday they have to bash their thumb with a hammer and I think it's stupid, that is not being intolerant. That is calling someone an idiot that deserves to be called an idiot. Some of these religious practices aren't far from this example.
    This is exaclty what intolerance is, unwillingness to recognize and respect differences in opinions or beliefs. Doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

Sensei already asked, but how are they doing that?
    Hahn, sometimes you make some good points, but this is not one of them.

Banned
    If you move to America you need to be ready to adapt to our culture, not expect us to change to yours... sure a few little things to help keep you in touch but bringing your entire life style here that clashes with ours and expecting us to change? That's wrong

You don't go to another man's house and be disrespectful and make the owner try to adjust to you, you adjust to there rules.

Just my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    Have you guys forgotten about all of the facilities that are in business solely for women? Where's the uproar over them? How about the classes in gyms that are for women only?
    Actually, these piss ME off.

Nothing wrong with targeting a demographic - I mean, girly the place up, pink powercages, pix of hot men on the walls, fine - but I draw the line at outright exclusion based solely on gender.

If someone started a "men-only" gym I'd be just as irritated.

The Planet of Water and Iron, Galveston TX
    Thanks Built for getting back on topic, I tend to agree with you, generally speaking. If it were simply gender, I'd totally agree.

This really is about religious tolerance though, a concept that was critical to the colonization of America in the first place.
    Last edited by Wednesday.; 03-05-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Stay calm and aggressive. -Gabby Reece

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Actually, these piss ME off.

Nothing wrong with targeting a demographic - I mean, girly the place up, pink powercages, pix of hot men on the walls, fine - but I draw the line at outright exclusion based solely on gender.

If someone started a "men-only" gym I'd be just as irritated.
    I honestly think these women-only gyms are mostly just a money-saving venture since they don't need to invest in nearly as much weight.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK
    You didn't adapt to our ways(native), and for it you should take yourself back to your gypsy grandparents in Italy.
    Yeah, we're living in a modern, civilized country. Kinda glad we didn't adapt to "your ways", and instead, progressed forward.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK
    YEEEHAWWWW. See you at the local KKK meeting tonight Billy Bob.
    Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish
    Uhhh yeah you just said that everything good that ever happened in America came from Anglo-Saxon immigrants and their children? Whoa there white power, you're walking on thin ice.
    I'm not walking on thin ice. I do believe that Anglo-Saxons, for the most part, made this country what it is. Not taking away from any group at all, but, you know, when you're 3/4 of the population, you tend to be the driving force behind inventions and progress. You're more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not. And I wasn't being offensive.

I find it offensive my culture seems to do most of the work and has most of the history, yet we're tossed aside by special interests groups. Yeah, amazing ... 6 muslims girls pitch a bitch at Harvard and this is national news, and they get their way. Whatever happened to, "Kiss my ass"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    You really need to study history a little more...
    Try me.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

And funny ... the religious groups and races that demand the most equality continually segregate themselves and call attention to their religion/race.

"Can't we all just get along?"
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    unc is filled with fudge packing liberals so this figures
    Excuse me? Highly inappropriate.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."