Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvard Gym Closed to Men to Accomodate Muslim Women (for a few hours each week)

Quote Originally Posted by BrettC View Post
    If you move to America you need to be ready to adapt to our culture, not expect us to change to yours... sure a few little things to help keep you in touch but bringing your entire life style here that clashes with ours and expecting us to change? That's wrong

You don't go to another man's house and be disrespectful and make the owner try to adjust to you, you adjust to there rules.

Just my opinion though
    As stated we know nothing about their nationality, it is a religion in question here. Now some generalized comments...

Everyone talks about SUCH the inconvenience it would be. You know what? Show some compassion. If this happened at UC and I did not have another gym to lift at, I would give it more thought. If there are two gyms... why get your panties in a bundle? Selfishness is what I think the problem is. In this particular case doing this would really not affect anyones life in any real way. As someone stated walking another 5-10 minutes to another area? Please.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

Obviously, Harvard has the right to do what they want under law.

When I first read the title, I thought it was ridiculous that Harvard was spending students' tuition money on facilities that would be used, at times, only by one group of people. Even though they can do whatever they want, if this were "wrong," I would say it's akin to calling a black person a n_gger. Obviously immoral, but doesn't affect me, and it's not against the law. Maybe I shouldn't have an opinion on it, but I would still think it's wrong.

I was a bit frustrated that Harvard, an incredibly secular (yeah, it was started for divinity school) institution, would support one group of people at the expense of everyone else. I still think it's hypocritical, because I think Harvard is so anti-Christian (I'm agnostic, and incredibly secular myself), at some times anti-American, etc.

But, at the same time, it seems like it's such a minor inconvenience, and these students do pay tuition and would like to work out, so I think it's the right thing to do.

BUT, if this were a publicly funded institution, I would be calling it unconstitutional and I would think it's completely ridiculous.

At my university gym, the track team sometimes comes in to use the oval track. If you're not part of the track team, then you do not get to use the track during their practice.

How is this different? It's people of a certain mindset who have requested a very reasonable amount of gym time to themselves, much like any other athletic group on campus would.

I'm an atheist, and I'm not a big fan of religion being forced on people. Nothing is being forced on anyone in this instance. It's not even the only gym on campus.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Selfishness is what I think the problem is.
    6 Muslim girls want the gym for themselves for their beliefs, and it's other folks being selfish? WTF?
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    At my university gym, the track team sometimes comes in to use the oval track. If you're not part of the track team, then you do not get to use the track during their practice.

How is this different? It's people of a certain mindset who have requested a very reasonable amount of gym time to themselves, much like any other athletic group on campus would.

I'm an atheist, and I'm not a big fan of religion being forced on people. Nothing is being forced on anyone in this instance. It's not even the only gym on campus.
    How would you feel if only Christians were allowed to use the gym for a few hours a week, or only atheists, or only black people?

Hell, my religion could be that I don't like working out around black people.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-05-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    6 Muslim girls want the gym for themselves for their beliefs, and it's other folks being selfish? WTF?
    Six hours out of 70 and it's one of several (the least-used one.)..and that's selfish?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-05-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    How would you feel if only Christians were allowed to use the gym for a few hours a week, or only atheists, or only black people?

If those Christians, atheists or black people had a really good reason for wanting it to themselves then yeah I might be a little compassionate. Hmm... Maybe something like, they need to be covered up in the presence of other people not in that group.

What you described is not a religion. You just don't like black people.

I can't believe the garbage being posted in this thread. Seriously... Close this thread before some of these guys just come in and straight out say that all Muslims are terrorists and should be shot. You are the people that make the world hate Americans. (You know who you are.)
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

there's more than one gym.

If a group has a valid reason for wanting to occupy a gym alone, why not let them?

blacks only is not something I'd support, as you don't choose your race.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Then I'd go to another gym on campus during those hours. But who else uses the gym at those hours? Harvard likely picked some of the least used hours. Unless there is a whole bunch of people claiming that it is impossible for them to work out at any other gym or any other hours, I don't see what the big deal is about a PRIVATE institution making its own rules (as long as they aren't endangering anyone else or breaking the laws).

And what religion prohibits working out around black people? That would be either considered a cult or racist. Certainly not an established mainstream religion and therefore not protected.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-05-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

I was a bit frustrated that Harvard, an incredibly secular (yeah, it was started for divinity school) institution, would support one group of people at the expense of everyone else. I.

It is NOT at the expense of everyone else

1. It is not the only gym.

2. It is the least used gym as it is the furthest away/in the most inconvenient location.

3 . It is 6 hours out of 70.

4. Harvard is a private institution and as such as long as it does not break the laws it is allowed to set certain rules.

5. This is NOT a long-term policy but will be reviewed...presumably to see if it is popular with other Muslim students or unpopular among non-Muslim students. If overwhelmingly the latter, they'll probably drop it.

Seriously what is with the intolerance in this thread?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-05-2008 at 10:42 PM.

I was going to play devil's advocate and continue speaking out against Harvard's policy on this, but I've now convinced myself that what they are doing is indeed "wrong."

If those Christians, atheists or black people had a really good reason for wanting it to themselves then yeah I might be a little compassionate. Hmm... Maybe something like, they need to be covered up in the presence of other people not in that group.
    How about the fact that it's part of their religion?

I'm going to stick with the most aggregious example: my religion is that I can't work out around black people. There are 5 other students in the university with the same belief system. We want one of the gyms to ban black people for a few hours each week.

Please understand first that I am not the least bit racist. I am using this as a hypothetical.

What defines a religion? Why can't someone have this belief structure?

blacks only is not something I'd support, as you don't choose your race.
    AFAIK, I didn't choose my gender.

Then I'd go to another gym on campus during those hours. But who else uses the gym at those hours? Harvard likely picked some of the least used hours. Unless there is a whole bunch of people claiming that it is impossible for them to work out at any other gym or any other hours, I don't see what the big deal is about a PRIVATE institution making its own rules (as long as they aren't endangering anyone else or breaking the laws).
    Obviously, they can legally do what they want here. But I can still form an opinion on it. If Mark McGuire chooses to put his mom in a ****ty nursing home after promising to let her live with him, I'll probably think he's an immoral *******. If we decide this is "wrong" of Harvard, then we can still have opinions of it, without asking for legal reprocussions.

And what religion prohibits working out around black people? That would be either considered a cult or racist. Certainly not an established mainstream religion and therefore not protected.
    How does one (a) establish a religion, and (b) make it mainstream? I would bet that there are a significant number of racists in America that would subscribe to some bull **** beliefs like this one. I think it's pretty outlandish that an institution would choose to support some religions but not others, because they are apparently more popular or make more sense.

Hell, I don't think Christianity or Islam make any sense whatsoever. I think they're completely ridiculous. Hating black people is about as stupid as not being able to work out in the presence of men.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-05-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post

I can't believe the garbage being posted in this thread. Seriously... Close this thread before some of these guys just come in and straight out say that all Muslims are terrorists and should be shot. You are the people that make the world hate Americans. (You know who you are.)
    Thank you.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

This doesn't have to be about hate. I think there are 2 legitimate sides to this and I think it's a very interesting debate.

(If this were public, it would be easy -- it's unconstitutional and it is definitely morally wrong)

Yeah, we're living in a modern, civilized country. Kinda glad we didn't adapt to "your ways", and instead, progressed forward.
    So you're admitting coming to this country, not adapting to our ways, and imposing your culture on us. Nice, I love hypocrits.

To add, the prejudice bigotry you and other white supremacists promote is the reason why this country has such a hard time moving forward on these issues. Masking your bigotry with "AdApT to OuR CuLtUrEEE DURRRR YEEEHAWW".

PS- Where can I find a confederate flag? I need one for a school project.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

This doesn't have to be about hate. I think there are 2 legitimate sides to this and I think it's a very interesting debate.

(If this were public, it would be easy -- it's unconstitutional and it is definitely morally wrong)
    I semi agree with the public comment but there is hypocrisy in that as well. We do close down for XMAS and XMAS eve in public schools, would you also propose legislation to ban that as well?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I was going to play devil's advocate and continue speaking out against Harvard's policy on this, but I've now convinced myself that what they are doing is indeed "wrong."

Well if you're that easily convinced...and on no more evidence than you had to begin with...I'm guessing you'd already made up your mind

How about the fact that it's part of their religion?

I'm going to stick with the most aggregious example: my religion is that I can't work out around black people. There are 5 other students in the university with the same belief system. We want one of the gyms to ban black people for a few hours each week.

Except that one of the justifications used for this policy is that there are ALREADY WOMEN-ONLY fitness clubs in America and that is accepted. But as far as I am aware there are no public places in America where blacks are banned because they are black.

Please understand first that I am not the least bit racist. I am using this as a hypothetical.

What defines a religion? Why can't someone have this belief structure?
    [b] Strictly speaking it's not a belief structure to begin with...it's an opinion and an ill-informed one at that.

AFAIK, I didn't choose my gender.

Obviously, they can legally do what they want here. But I can still form an opinion on it. If Mark McGuire chooses to put his mom in a ****ty nursing home after promising to let her live with him, I'll probably think he's an immoral *******. If we decide this is "wrong" of Harvard, then we can still have opinions of it, without asking for legal reprocussions.

And we can hold opposing opinions and explain why we hold these opinions

How does one (a) establish a religion, and (b) make it mainstream? I would bet that there are a significant number of racists in America that would subscribe to some bull **** beliefs like this one. I think it's pretty outlandish that an institution would choose to support some religions but not others, because they are apparently more popular or make more sense.
    Here is a list of established religions. Find me just one (1) that expressly prohibits working out with black people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ual_traditions

Hell, I don't think Christianity or Islam make any sense whatsoever. I think they're completely ridiculous.
    Respecting other people's religious traditions has a LONG history in America. Refresh my memory on this but didn't some people go there to get away from religious persecution at home and be able to freely express their religious beliefs? I believe a number of said people went over on some ship named the Mayflower...

Hating black people is about as stupid as not being able to work out in the presence of men.
    One is about gender, the other is about a specific group. They are not the same. Think about it for a moment. One is based on specific belief systems (the freedom to practice which is enshrined in the U.S Constitution) the other is based on simply skin colour (which is ILLEGAL in the same Constitution). Find another example which is legal or religiously based and then you have an argument. Comparing apples and oranges (legal and illegal acts) which is what you are doing doesn't pass muster.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-06-2008 at 12:11 AM.

Keep things in perspective, it is 1 of 4 gyms for 6 hours a week... I don't think that is very selfish. As I said before, the story would be different it was the only gym for 6 hours a week during peak hours.

However, I also agree with other people about the separation of church and state. If this is going to be allowed I feel like it could create a lot of issues regarding other religions and their desires.
    Last edited by TopCat; 03-05-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Keep things in perspective, it is 1 of 4 gyms for 6 hours a week... I don't think that is very selfish. As I said before, the story would be different it was the only gym for 6 hours a week during peak hours.

However, I also agree with other people about the separation of church and state. If this is going to be allowed I feel like it could create a lot of issues regarding other religions and their desires.

However if you check a lot of the other posts on the opposing side this is not about the separation of church and state at all. It is about a group of people who think that denying other people the right to express their religious beliefs in a private institution which has sanctioned such behaviour is fine.

Let me put it another way. If a bunch of us went to said gym but were told we couldn't do deadlifts or squats as that intimidated the other members would that be fine? After all why should we be selfish and insist on our right to do deadlifts or squats. That interferes with the enjoyment of the other members who may be there.

Or is suppressing the minority's wishes only acceptable when it comes to religion. Seriously...
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-05-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Maybe my reading comprehension is poor and I'm getting really tired of this thread (happens every time I decide to open a thread about race or culture here), but is the gym only open to Muslim women? No.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Exactly. It's open to non-Muslim women as well. It's only closed to MEN.

Who are, by virtue of running everything pretty much for the last 10,000 years, far too far up the power pyramid to ever be able to scream discrimination without being laughed at.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

anyone who thinks this is perfectly ok....ask yourself this.

would you move to Afghanistan and go to the gym (assuming they have one) and expect them to shut it down for YOU because you felt uncomfortable around people with turbons when you wanted to wear shorts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post

would you move to Afghanistan and go to the gym (assuming they have one) and expect them to shut it down for YOU because you felt uncomfortable around people with turbons when you wanted to wear shorts?
    THIS IS NOT COMPARABLE!!!

These people have a religious belief that they should be fully covered up in front of men of the opposite sex! YOU DO NOT HAVE A RELIGIOUS BELIEF THAT YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE ABOUT WORKING OUT AROUND PEOPLE WITH TURBANS. You are just a racist, biggot, ignorant moron, whatever you want to call it.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    If it isn't about race, then how does it fuel racism?
    It makes people look at Muslims differently. It reminds them that they're "different" than Bob or Susie. It draws lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    How are they pushing anything on anyone Hahn?

You know what really pisses me off? Business taking vacations on Christmas Day! My right to shop or do business should not be impaired because some a-hole wants to take a day or week off to celebrate some religious event.

sarcastic in case you couldn't tell...
    I don't think there's anything wrong with someone being upset by everything being closed on Christmas. I feel that they are pushing their practices on other people by not allowing them to use the gym during certain times to satisfy their own religious practices. If they want to practice this tradition they should either workout at home, find a different gym, or suck it up and workout around men. If our country catered to every single religious practice like this we'd have a complete disaster and a bunch of pissed off people.

Can anyone in this thread honestly tell me that this practice is intelligent or rational? Even if it wasn't rational, which it isn't, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else I'd say go for it-but closing the gym off to men does affect other people and shouldn't be allowed.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post

I wouldn't expect it and it doesn't sound like these women did either. They asked for accomodations and they were granted, also, I thought our country was supposed to better than Afghanistan and more tolerant? You ask yourself this, why does a decision that doesn't effect you in any way and only effects the men at Harvard for a limited amount of time bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    You are just a racist, biggot, ignorant moron, whatever you want to call it.
    only toward ignorant Canadians

I have plenty of spanish and black friends...I've dated outside of my race. To call me racist is a far stretch by any means. You don't know me and thankfully never will. Do I feel safe around Muslims on the trains running through Boston...not soo much anymore, but that's a normal fear, but as far as black, yellow, green, I don't hate races, I hate certain people.

Edit: Sorry if you praise Allah and this is a touchy thread.
    Last edited by Cirino83; 03-06-2008 at 07:47 AM.