The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Harvard Gym Closed to Men to Accomodate Muslim Women (for a few hours each week)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...slim-gym_N.htm

BOSTON (AP) Harvard University has banned men from one of its gyms for a few hours a week, a move to accomodate[sic] Muslim women who, for religious and cultural reasons, cannot exercise comfortably in their presence.

The policy is already unpopular with many on campus, however, including some women who consider it sexist.

"I think that it's incorrect in a college setting to institute a policy in which half of the campus gets wronged or denied a resource that's supposed to be for everyone," said student Lucy Caldwell, who also wrote a column in The Harvard Crimson newspaper critical of the new hours.

Student Ola Aljawhary, who is Muslim and works out elsewhere on campus but is not one of the women who requested the change, rejected that argument.

"The majority should be willing to compromise," she said. "I think that's just basic courtesy. We must show tolerance and respect for all others."

The trial policy went into effect Feb. 4, about a month after a group of six Muslim women, with the support of the Harvard College Women's Center, asked the university for the special hours, spokesman Robert Mitchell said.

"We get special requests from religious groups all the time and we try to honor them whenever possible," he said, noting that the school has designated spaces for Muslim and Hindu students to pray.

No men are allowed in the gym between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Mondays, and between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Even the staff during those times is all women.

The special hours allow the Muslim women, who adhere to traditional dress codes by covering their hair and most of their skin while in public, to dress more appropriately for exercising, said Susan Marine, director of the women's center.

"It's a pretty big breach of their moral and religious code for a man to see them with their hair uncovered and it's just not possible for them to be in a mixed environment," she said.

When student Kareem Shuman showed up to work out at the gym on Monday morning, he was turned away but didn't mind.

"Knowing it was requested by women of my faith it's very understandable to me," said Shuman, 21, who figured he'd just come back later for his workout.

Other men find the new hours inconvenient. Nick Wells, a junior who wrote an opinion piece in the Crimson criticizing the policy, suggested setting aside one room for women.

"It's not that I am opposed to the idea of helping people in religious groups or women in general, but I just think Harvard is not being fair to people like me who live (near the gym)," Wells said in an interview.

The policy only applies to one gym, a facility mainly used for intramurals. Because of its location at the edge of campus, it is the university's least used gym, Mitchell said.

The women-only hours are of minimal inconvenience because they are just six out of the 70 hours a week the gym is open, Marine said.

"Harvard has a moral and ethical responsibility to make sure our students can stay healthy," she said.

An Associated Press reporter who went to the gym Monday did not see any Muslim women entering. Efforts to reach some of the women who requested the policy through the Women's Center were unsuccessful.

The policy will be reviewed at the end of the semester, Mitchell said.

Kent Blumenthal, executive director of the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association, which has 660 member colleges and universities nationwide, said he could not think of any other institution with a similar policy.

"It seems in some ways contrary to the purpose of campus recreational programs, which is all about access," he said.

Harvard's policy is no different from commercial gyms that cater partially or even exclusively to women, said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"The Muslim bashers portray it as the world coming to end, but if women have a couple hours a week to work out in private, I don't see it as a major issue," he said.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-04-2008 at 08:36 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

hooray faith!!!

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

On one hand, 6 hours a week isn't a big deal and it's only one of several gyms...and the least used one at that.

On the other hand, inconveniencing the many for the needs of 6 people is way past ridiculous.

In the end though, it's Harvard's facility, they can do whatever they want for whatever reason.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Typical college mentality. In Chapel Hill when I was living there, they wouldn't allow businesses to fly the American flag since it may possibly offend students from a foreign country.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

They're a private institution who are trying to meet the needs and/or demands of their customers. They can do as they please.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Sorry, but if you come to America and go to an American school, be prepared to adapt to American culture. If I were to go to the middle east, I wouldn't expect it to be ok to walk around in my boxers or make sexual comments to the women there.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

This is exactly the type of thing which breads racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Sorry, but if you come to America and go to an American school, be prepared to adapt to American culture. If I were to go to the middle east, I wouldn't expect it to be ok to walk around in my boxers or make sexual comments to the women there.
    Part of American culture is business and satisfying your customers is a part of that.

Also... Please define American culture? Do you mean native american culture? Or British American? German American? Or do you mean regional? Like Northeastern "yankee" culture? Wild west culture? The dirty south? Have fun
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    They're a private institution who are trying to meet the needs and/or demands of their customers. They can do as they please.
    I think this is what it boils down to. If it was government funded then maybe I can see people having an issue, but 6 hours in a private institution, who cares?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Typical college mentality. In Chapel Hill when I was living there, they wouldn't allow businesses to fly the American flag since it may possibly offend students from a foreign country.
    Wow, now that would definitely piss me off. How can you possibly deny somebody to fly the American flag? Sounds almost unconstitutional.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

the muslim girls around here workout in track suits
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Sorry, but if you come to America and go to an American school, be prepared to adapt to American culture.
    That's exactly what the article is about: American hospitality, respect for cultural differences, etc.

If I were to go to the middle east, I wouldn't expect it to be ok to walk around in my boxers or make sexual comments to the women there.
    Hi, welcome to America. Being culturally intolerant and exclusionist pricks isn't one of our advertised features.

I really don't see a problem with what Harvard did. If anything, a step in a better direction may be an entirely separate room/wing in a gym facility (kind of like the "Ladies' Gym" at my Gold's) where any women that don't wish to exercise with men can maintain their health in a non-compromising fashion.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I personally think it isn't a good idea. I can imagine that university being very busy and maybe those 6 hours are crucial to ones time?

Custom User Title
    Sorry, but if you come to America and go to an American school, be prepared to adapt to American culture.
    Any particular reason you're assuming they're foreign...?
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

Training log

I'd bust in during muslim hours and look at them and make inappropriate sexual comments to them.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I personally think it isn't a good idea. I can imagine that university being very busy and maybe those 6 hours are crucial to ones time?
    there are multiple gyms on campus
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Wannabebig Member
    If they checked with others who tend to use the gym on a daily basis, then there is really no problem. If, however, they just made this decision without asking the people who use that gym consistantly, then it is kind of wrong. If someone is very busy, i would imagine this happens a lot at harvard, and they can only get to the gym at certain times during the week and this new policy prevents them from doing so, then it is kind of biased. I know there are other gyms but if someone took away my hours for others to be more comfortable I would make damn sure that gym was packed by those girls for that whole 6 hours .
    Weight: 176lbs
    Height: 5'9.5"

Max-
    Bench: 185lbs
    Squat: 255lbs
    Deadlift: 300lbs

Total: 740lbs

its a private institution so obviously they can make their own decisions. theyre complying with what they think the university will be happy with so i can understand their pov. if it was a state funded school i would feel differently because i think its just as bad as a state funded school closing on sunday because its a christian day of rest. but alas thats not the case so its all fairly irrelevant
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

this is ****ing stupid. You don't like the American ways and cohed facilities...simple... LEAVE AND GO BACK TO YOUR OWN ****ING COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    this is ****ing stupid. You don't like the American ways and cohed facilities...simple... LEAVE AND GO BACK TO YOUR OWN ****ING COUNTRY
    LOL. It's a private institution. It's the least used gym on campus, and apparently they're closing it off during the least used hours. Get off your high horse.

Edit: It's coed, not cohed.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 03-05-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

High horse = your patented phrase I see....good good.... I'm on a high horse because of how I feel about the situation?

WBB = grammar forum now? Either way good looking out....

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    lol....keep in mind that there are a lot of Muslims who were born and raised in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by azma View Post
    lol....keep in mind that there are a lot of Muslims who were born and raised in the United States.
    I understand that, but more than likely they live by the American ways if that is the case, and if that is the case, I have no problem with them. It's when they come over here and expect us to adapt to them...not vice versa.
    Last edited by Cirino83; 03-05-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    unc is filled with fudge packing liberals so this figures
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Quote Originally Posted by azma View Post
    So what, why should everyone else be handicapped because some girl believes some ridiculous religious binding? I guess the cafeteria better stop serving meat on Fridays during Lent. Your religion should never interfere with my daily life-especially something so stupid. Is there anyone here that actually believes this nonsense is rational?
    Last edited by HahnB; 03-05-2008 at 09:22 AM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock