The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

opinions please.

My bench has always sucked ( even more so compared to my deadlift ) and I hurt my right rotater cuff last year which really didnt help at all. As of late Ive just been sticking with DB press instead of BB benching. Anyway right now im cutting but I want to look at ways to bring my bench up little by little. Anyway Ive noticed that when I ever get done pressing my triceps are really wore out, so I am thinking this may be a weak point that needs to be brought up. I prefer to stick with CGBP, JM press, or DB floor press, but throw in some different extensions every now and then. Also my OH pressing sucks almost as much.

So just looking for opinions on what everyone thinks as to what I can do to bring things up. Currently I do two upper body workouts per week, One main pressing lift, one main pulling movement, one exercise for shoulders and tricpes per session ( I throw in face pulls, biceps work, extra back work etc depending on the session ) I tend to keep the main exercises in the 4x6 or 5x5 range everything else depends on how I feel that day.

Any advice I would greatly appricate. And yes my diet is in check as well.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

does your shoulder still bother you? thats really going to be your limiting factor because you get your bench up, you are going to have to bench heavy at least occasionally

If your shoulder is 100% than you need to start going heavy. If you want to work triceps;

2 board press
    3 board press
    4 board press
    CGBP
    JM press
    Tate press
    Kaz press
    Reverse band bench press
    Floor press
    Pin press
    Last edited by Rusty; 03-09-2008 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

The 4 months I took off the gym really helped my rotater cuff, I have not tried to max out yet, but it feels pretty good. When I do bench I am weak at the bottem half ( so I know DE or pause work will help here as well ).

The thing that I notice when I do what ever bench exercise though is my triceps
    are the what I feel the most in the lift ( to me it seems to be what is stoping me at the end of my sets, but set since I know triceps help with the lockouts more, maybe my pecs are just to weak too???), that is why I am wondering if maybe they are not as strong as they should be.
    Last edited by View 1; 03-09-2008 at 02:17 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I'll just add this.
    If your rotator is bothering you or has botherd you be VERY careful on DE work.
    True DE work is explosive, it'll put alot of strain on your rotator.
    And I find the best way of protecting rotators is keeping your shoulder blades tucked and elbows in pressing.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

when you bench, use a closer grip and stay away from going to comp grip until you really need to (like pre meet) On DE day I wouldnt change much, but when picking your ME exercises be cautious of how much band tension you put on it. What you will slowly be able to do is build up your shoulder strength so that it stabilizes your cuff. Work your rear delts a good bit as well