The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Need to Get Weightlifting Shoes

So I've been running through some of the old threads about weightlifting shoes and unfortunately it seems like a lot of them just don't have links to a place where I could order some lifting shoes online. Can someone provide me with a link where I could purchase some respectable or quality weightlifting shoes?

The shoes I've been using for a while now have a very large heel that makes it feel weird when I'm doing heavy squatting and deadlifting so I finally wanted to buy a pair of nice weightlifting shoes. I also don't mind if they are over $100 so if any of you out there can vouch for a specific type of weightlifting shoe brand then I'd love to get a link where I could order some in my size.

And I know some of you use Chuck Taylors but I'm really not that interested in them because I just don't like the look of them. Don't get me wrong I'll consider them if I can't find any other good pairs of shoes but for now I'm looking for possibilities outside of Chuck T's.

Any help would be appreciated.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Also I'm not that fond of wrestling shoes because I feel they add *too much* ankle support. I want my ankles to do some work and strengthen when it comes to stability, etc so I'd really rather not use wrestling shoes.

I mean there *have* to be brands of shoes that are dedicated solely to weightlifting, right?
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

One more thing: if my gym would allow me to squat and deadlift barefoot then should I do that? I mean as long as I am not likely to drop any weights on my feet/toes then do you guys think doing those lifts barefoot is appropriate? The only thing I'm questioning is whether it's healthy or not for the arch in your feet to not have some support underneath them when I have 400+lbs pushing down on them.

What do you guys think? Barefoot is definitely an option for me if there is no real cause for concern.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

You said you didn't want so much ankle support because you want to strengthen your ankles. Well wouldn't the same principle apply to your arches? I have nothing to back that up, so take it for what it's worth.

What do you mean by weightlifting shoes.

heeled Olympic shoes or just shoes to lift in.

The hands down best shoe is the Adistar by Adidas, can't go wrong with it.

Or solid work bot with a heel do a pretty god job to.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I was thinking like shoes that are specifically made for weightlifting. They have those, right? I would assume they'd have a lot of support but not a thick heel/sole. And Sensei the only thing about the arch is that I've run sprints without arch support before and for a few days after that part of my foot hurt pretty badly. If it were a muscle and that sort of soreness I'd think it might be even good for my feet but that's definitely not what it felt like to me.

I'll have to Google to see what other people or experts have been saying about weightlifting barefoot.

@ Fuzzy, I'm sure your Adistar works fine for a general gym shoe BUT don't you feel that the cushion on the bottom makes it a bad choice for deadlifts and squats? I have a great pair of regular running shoes that I wear around the gym but I've noticed that when I go deep and heavy on squats and deadlifts that my heels leave the ground and I'm pretty sure that is NOT good.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    I was thinking like shoes that are specifically made for weightlifting. They have those, right? I would assume they'd have a lot of support but not a thick heel/sole. And Sensei the only thing about the arch is that I've run sprints without arch support before and for a few days after that part of my foot hurt pretty badly. If it were a muscle and that sort of soreness I'd think it might be even good for my feet but that's definitely not what it felt like to me.

I'll have to Google to see what other people or experts have been saying about weightlifting barefoot.

@ Fuzzy, I'm sure your Adistar works fine for a general gym shoe BUT don't you feel that the cushion on the bottom makes it a bad choice for deadlifts and squats? I have a great pair of regular running shoes that I wear around the gym but I've noticed that when I go deep and heavy on squats and deadlifts that my heels leave the ground and I'm pretty sure that is NOT good.
    It depends on what kind of footing you have. Are you lifting on concrete or wood floors? What kind of carpeting is there?

Personally I would NEVER lift barefoot in a commercial gym. Who knows what kind of stuff's been on the floor? I'd be concerned about stepping on something sharp or catching some disease.

Even if your gym is clean, the footing is important. Lifting on concrete or wood with or without only a worn out thin carpet will force your joints to do all the "giving" when you have hundreds of pounds on your back or overhead. Good shoes will provide some "give".

If even running hurts your feet it's a pretty safe bet weightlifting (heavy) will do it as well. Some people lift barefoot and like it...but each to his own. I'd never recommend it.

I'd refuse to join a gym where they allowed people to lift barefoot.

Fuzzy was talking about the Adistar Weightlifting shoes. It has solid, raised heel.
    http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/adiStarFRS.html

I use these:
    www.weightliftingshoes.ca

Also, you'll probably want something flat to deadlift in. Chucks are what I use. There are deadlift slippers that are also an option. Here's a link to where you can get those... I can't find a pic:

http://www.titan-canada.ca/
    Last edited by deeder; 03-11-2008 at 12:09 AM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Lifting shoe article
    Here is an article from exrx.net about shoes. It lists several. Just google them.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Why is that?
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post

Cushion? You mean the measely little bit of padding for comfort ontop of the stiff base that has a hunk of solid wood for a heel?

This is a shoe deisgned for OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFING, to have people slam their feet as hard as they could into the floor, hands down the most stable and comfortable squatting shoe ever!

I was discussing this with my coach, that painis your arch tearing, I have no evidence but the improvement in my flat feet since I began arch strengthening excersise (toes curls, lol!) as well as constantly being in a supported sho has made a huge difference, barefot is fine smetime, but be supported!

Just because our body CAN take hundereds of pounds doesnt mean it was every trully designed to.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    umm bro get low top wrestling shoes all my wrestling shoes are low tops

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Why is that?
    Stub a toe, drop a plate, and all of a sudden you're spreading your DNA everywhere. That's not cool.

has anyone tried skateboarding shoes for weightlifting? they have really sturdy soles with quite a bit of surface area

Quote Originally Posted by j8715 View Post
    has anyone tried skateboarding shoes for weightlifting? they have really sturdy soles with quite a bit of surface area
    And lots of padding to compress while you have a couple hundred pounds on your back.. Exactly what you don't want.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Stub a toe, drop a plate, and all of a sudden you're spreading your DNA everywhere. That's not cool.
    I think more people are skinning their hands or fingers leaving that dna all over the weights and handlebars and such...

I deadlift barefoot ALL of the time.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.