Thread: Chest Twice Weekley

Chest Twice Weekley

Hello,

I'm currently doing the WBB1 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) routine and have been for nearly two months now.Tthe only difference is I do three sets instead of two.

I was wondering if it would be OK to do bench press on a Friday as well as on a Monday? Monday is chest/back day and Friday is Shoulder/arm day but because I have the weekend off I like to do a little chest work on a Friday too. This isn't "over training", is it?
    Last edited by Steven001; 03-07-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    The Time is Now - My Journey to 180lbs
    Skinny Guy Starts Training
    Progress Pictures

Height: 6'-6'1" | Weight:160lbs | Start Weight: 140lbs | Goal Weight: 180lbs
    Bench: 176.4lbs x 5
    Squat: 187.4lbs x 2
    Deadlift: 264.6lbs x 5

Nothing maxed yet!

So your saying you want to do chest after your arms? I don't know how well that will work since your arms will be tired.

You don't want to imbalance yourself. If your doubling up on chest you should really double up on back too. You don't want to walk around like a monkey because you worked the front side of you so much it has pulled your posture out of wack. If you really want to double up on chest what about doing bench press and chin ups so at least your trying to keep it even.
    Last edited by Brad263; 03-07-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

^^^That's good advice.

There is nothing wrong with benching twice a week, in principal -- in fact, it's better in terms of strength and size. In practice, it depends how you implement it. Post your full routine.

Edit: you mentioned you'd been doing WBB1 for two months. I would consider switching to a full body routine or upper/lower or push/pull split.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 03-07-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad263 View Post
    So your saying you want to do chest after your arms? I don't know how well that will work since your arms will be tired.

You don't want to imbalance yourself. If your doubling up on chest you should really double up on back too. You don't want to walk around like a monkey because you worked the front side of you so much it has pulled your posture out of wack. If you really want to double up on chest what about doing bench press and chin ups so at least your trying to keep it even.
    Maybe not after, but during. Last week I benched press after shoulder press and then continued with the rest of my arm workout. If I decide to do it today I'll add in chin ups as well - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    ^^^That's good advice.

There is nothing wrong with benching twice a week, in principal -- in fact, it's better in terms of strength and size. In practice, it depends how you implement it. Post your full routine.

Edit: you mentioned you'd been doing WBB1 for two months. I would consider switching to a full body routine or upper/lower or push/pull split.
    Would you like my routine for the week or just tonight's routine? And yes, nearly two months, probably just over 1.5 really. I haven't actually looked at any full body or upper/lower or push/pull split routines. Would I see any benefit in changing?
    Progress Pictures

Nothing maxed yet!

I don't necessarily think you need to change your routine. If you like the results your seeing and your getting gains keep up with it. WBB may be a lot of volume but they have all the major lifts in there.

Some advice is work the biggest exercises first. Like for instance my back day goes deadlifts, chin ups, bent over rows, shrugs. It goes hardest to easiest because you want the most strength for the biggest exercises plus you can't do big lifts if your secondary muscles are tired, like if your tri's are tired you won't be able to bench enough.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Would you like my routine for the week or just tonight's routine? And yes, nearly two months, probably just over 1.5 really. I haven't actually looked at any full body or upper/lower or push/pull split routines. Would I see any benefit in changing?
    The whole routine.

If I remember correctly, WBB1 is a body part split. Full-body and uper-lower/push-pull splits yield better results because you hit major muscle groups more than once a week. It's better to train movements than body parts.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 03-07-2008 at 11:09 AM.

My whole routine looks like this:

Monday: Chest/Back

Bench Press:
    3 x 8

Incline Dumbbell Press:
    3 x 8

Dips
    3 x 8

Pull Ups
    3 x 8

Deadlifs
    3 x 8

Barbell Rows:
    3 x 8

Shrugs
    3 x 8

Wednesday: Legs

Squats:
    3 x 8

Hack Squats:
    3 x 8

Straight Legged Deadlifts:
    3 x 8

Barbell Calf Raises:
    3 x 8

Lever Leg Extensions:
    3 x 8

Friday: Arms

Military Press:
    3 x 8

Seated Dumbbell Press:

3 x 8

Bench Press:
    3 x 8

French Press:
    3 x 8

Standing Lateral Raises:
    3 x 8

Dips:
    3 x 8

Chin-ups:
    3 x 8

Barbell Curls:
    3 x 8

Hammer Curls:
    3 x 8

Friday is normally without bench press and chins (though I did bench last week on Friday). The Friday posted in the one I would like to try today. Perhaps some sit-ups at the end too.
    Last edited by Steven001; 03-07-2008 at 11:21 AM.
    Progress Pictures

Nothing maxed yet!

Why don't you just start going to the gym 4 days a week. So every week you'll get to do something twice. The next week you just pick up on which ever workout was supposed to come next. The only thing you'll really have to do that WBB1 doesn't approve of is workout out two days in a row once a week.

So you have 3 different workouts right now we'll call them WO1, WO2, and WO3. Do something like:

Week 1: WO1, WO2, WO3, WO1
    Week 2: WO2, WO3, WO1, WO2
    Week 3: WO3, WO1, WO2, WO3

So in 3 weeks you get to do each workout 4 times instead of 3. That way you aren't over working just chest or back or legs. You can just do something like go to the gym Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri or maybe Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat.
    Last edited by SMK41; 03-07-2008 at 12:04 PM.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Really WBB1 or Rippetoes are supposed to be starter programs anyway. Most people who have been lifting with a good 3 day a week program for 6 months to a year can probably handle moving on to a 4 or 5 day a week program and if you organize your routine right so that you give your muscles enough time to rest you won't be over training.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Bro dont so shoulders before bench, do it after. If you have four days try this split:

MONDAY BENCH, UPPER BODY

TUESDAY DEADLIFT

THURSDAY SECOND BENCH/UPPER BODY DAY

FRIDAY SQUAT

Semper Fi

Monday: Chest/Back

Bench Press:
    3 x 8

Incline Dumbbell Press:
    3 x 8

Dips
    3 x 8

Pull Ups
    3 x 8

Deadlifs
    3 x 8

Barbell Rows:
    3 x 8

Shrugs
    3 x 8

Wednesday: Legs

Squats:
    3 x 8

Hack Squats:
    3 x 8

Straight Legged Deadlifts:
    3 x 8

Barbell Calf Raises:
    3 x 8

Lever Leg Extensions:
    3 x 8

Friday: Arms

Military Press:
    3 x 8

Seated Dumbbell Press:

3 x 8

Bench Press:
    3 x 8

French Press:
    3 x 8

Standing Lateral Raises:
    3 x 8

Dips:
    3 x 8

Chin-ups:
    3 x 8

Barbell Curls:
    3 x 8

Hammer Curls:
    3 x 8

Friday is normally without bench press and chins (though I did bench last week on Friday). The Friday posted in the one I would like to try today. Perhaps some sit-ups at the end too.[/QUOTE]

Bro,
    Squats, not DLs on monday.....dls need to be at least two days rest later so thursday. Shoulders AFTER bench on the second chest day.

MONDAY DL
    TUESDAY CHEST
    WED OFF
    THURS SQUATS
    FRIDAY SECOND UPPER BODY DAY

Semper Fi

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SMK41
    Week 1: WO1, WO2, WO3, WO1
    Week 2: WO2, WO3, WO1, WO2
    Week 3: WO3, WO1, WO2, WO3
    That sounds like a really good idea, I might start doing that next month or so.

Today was really difficult, but I enjoyed it. Chin-ups were much harder than usual due to arm workout and dips before hand. Bench went pretty well.

The one thing I hate is working shoulders! It's just the motion and the awkward feeling I get while doing the exercises. Also when doing military press or shoulder press my shoulder "pops" on every possible motion, it's really annoying!
    Progress Pictures

Nothing maxed yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys!
    The one thing I hate is working shoulders! It's just the motion and the awkward feeling I get while doing the exercises. Also when doing military press or shoulder press my shoulder "pops" on every possible motion, it's really annoying!
    are u using a barbell for your shoulder work? my left shoulder got effed up a couple times during pressing movements (bench, OH press) when using a barbell. so i never go heavy with a barbell. i only use DBs pretty much for pressing movements in the 3-8 rep range. i'll do pressing movements with a BB with lighter weights in the 12 or higher rep-range and just short of failure. i haven't messed up my left shoulder (fyi, i'm right handed) since.

just my $0.02

The way I see it...

Bench as often as you want, as long as your matching it rep for rep with rows and back work
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    are u using a barbell for your shoulder work? my left shoulder got effed up a couple times during pressing movements (bench, OH press) when using a barbell. so i never go heavy with a barbell. i only use DBs pretty much for pressing movements in the 3-8 rep range. i'll do pressing movements with a BB with lighter weights in the 12 or higher rep-range and just short of failure. i haven't messed up my left shoulder (fyi, i'm right handed) since.

just my $0.02
    For shoulder work I use both barbell and dumbbell, same goes for chest. I'm also right handed but both shoulders "pop" sometimes.

I've always been used the smith machine for benching, I've only recently noticed that there is an actual free bench hiding in the corner, I'm thinking of moving over to that on Monday.
    Progress Pictures

Nothing maxed yet!