Thread: Dumbbell press question.

Hybrid View

Dumbbell press question.

I go to Snap fitness, the problem is they have no open bench press. I have been using their dumbbells to do dumbbell press in the place of regular bench press. Basically what I want to know is this. I would like to know what my one rep max is, but I don't have the equipment. If I can do 3 sets of 10 reps with the 80lb dumbbells, what would be a good estimate as to what my one rep max would be on a regular bench press?

You need to find a new gym if they max out at 80lb dumbbells.

it doesn't really work that way. . . if i am understanding the question. You want to convert your dumbbell bench press number into a barbell bench press number?

If you're really curious, just to throw some ballpark figures out there, your 1RM dumbbell bench press is probably in the range of 105-110lb.

To carry this over then to BB bench press is more or less just speculation. If you BB benched regularly, it would be a fair bit higher than the combined total of the DB bench, but since you don't it'd probably be rougly in the same range on your first attempt. Frequent BB bench training thereafter would increase your BB bench 1RM significantly.

I'd guess 205-225. A lot depends on form. I agree with Kastro that you need to find a gym and not a fitness center.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

Quote Originally Posted by QuadzillaRF View Post
    I'd guess 205-225. A lot depends on form. I agree with Kastro that you need to find a gym and not a fitness center.
    First of all thanks for all the replies.

The only reason I go to this gym is because I'm on a family membership under my parents. The dumbbells there go up to 100 lbs and I can do a couple good reps with those, however I usually have been doing the three sets of ten with the 80s. The only reason I want to know my BB max is because everyone always talks about their max for that lift, and I would just like to have an idea where I stand.

Should I be training more heavy on this lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Viking_Power View Post
    First of all thanks for all the replies.

The only reason I go to this gym is because I'm on a family membership under my parents. The dumbbells there go up to 100 lbs and I can do a couple good reps with those, however I usually have been doing the three sets of ten with the 80s. The only reason I want to know my BB max is because everyone always talks about their max for that lift, and I would just like to have an idea where I stand.

Should I be training more heavy on this lift?
    I guess I'm kind of biased on "Fitness Centers" because they don't have the right equipment, not enough weights, and they despise power lifters because we horde all the weights and it makes a sound when we rack it. If it's free and makes you happy, more power to you. Should you lift heavier? Not sure what your goal is. Cutting, bulking, just want abs, just want to increase your bench?
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

Quote Originally Posted by QuadzillaRF View Post
    I guess I'm kind of biased on "Fitness Centers" because they don't have the right equipment, not enough weights, and they despise power lifters because we horde all the weights and it makes a sound when we rack it. If it's free and makes you happy, more power to you. Should you lift heavier? Not sure what your goal is. Cutting, bulking, just want abs, just want to increase your bench?
    Bulking. All around I just want to get bigger, and I'd like to bench over 300.

your max is only as heavy as you have ever pressed. Don't worry about what others do/say, just go in and worry about yourself. Just my .02
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    your max is only as heavy as you have ever pressed. Don't worry about what others do/say, just go in and worry about yourself. Just my .02
    Agreed, don't worry about people who say "oh I can bench 350" , worry about when your eventually up to 175s on DB bench press. Good luck in your venture.
    Eat big, lift big, get BIG

5'10'' - 172lbs up from: 125lbs (at age 18) - 20 yr old | bulking [til 200+] | BF 11% ?