The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

General advice, complete noob here.

So I just signed up to this site to hopefully gain some good knowledge and find out as much as I can about lifting, dieting etc. I've been working out fairly regularly for a few years now, however have never really felt a strong urge to take a serious, committed approach to it until now.
    That being said, I consider myself very much a noob. So I will try to include as much info as I can.

My goal for the summer is to be at 185-190lbs, and about 7-8% body fat. I am currently 6'0, about 173lbs, and about 11-12% body fat. 27 years old. Now I am not sure if I even have enough time to achieve my goal by the middle of the summer, but I am not 100% sure either way.

The reading that I have done on here and other sites seems to suggest that for traditional ectomorphs such as myself, the best way to go about gaining is to bulk up and then cut (the cutting phase emphasizing lower calories, high protein to keep on the lean body mass, where as the bulking phase includes high calories, moderate fats, high protein, and low-moderate carbs). Feel free to correct me if any of this is not accurate.

My workout routine includes 4-5 trips to the gym per week. One day focusing on chest/back, one day for arms, one day for legs, one day for abs/cardio, and another day of just cardio. I am in the process of incorporating more ab work into 2 more days out of the week, as my understanding is that abs can be worked more frequently than other body parts due to quick recovery.

I just recently signed up to fitday.com to begin tracking my calories/intake.

Before I go into details about my routine/diet, I'll take a break here to see what type of responses I get, if any.

Any advice much appreciated at this point.

Thanks,

J.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sounds like you pretty much know what you need to be doing. As far as macronutrients go, just make sure you're meeting your minimum protein and fat requirements, and fill the rest of your calories with whatever mix you want to use. The only major difference between cutting and bulking is calories.

I think having an entire day dedicated to abs is overkill -- you might want to look in to the wbb routines if you aren't sure about yours right now. Here's a link: http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4

As for your goals, you should aim to gain about a pound per week; more than that and you'll be putting on more fat than is necessary, especially this close to summertime activities.

You're probably going to want to rethink whatever amount of cardio you're doing since it sounds like you want to bulk. Doing a bunch of cardio on a bulk is just going to mean that many more calories that you have to eat.

Hi Joseppi,

Getting to 185-190lbs with 7-8% body fat for the summer is going to be tough, considering you are 173lbs with 11-12% body fat right now.

That would mean you would have to gain over 10lbs of muscle AND low fat which is no mean feat. I wouldn;t worry about the numbers here so much, just decide a strategy and stick to it.

I would first of all decide, what is more important to you? Being 7-8% for the summer or just working towards the end goal regadless of how you come in the for summer? That will determine your strategy.

If you want to be lean for the summer, it't keep weight training, up cardio and eat less. Ok, a bit more complex than that, but you get the idea. Then once you come away from the summer you can start bulking or... adding lean weight depending on how you feel about increasing your bodyfat.

If you want to just focus on getting to your goal, I would probably aim not to increase your bodyfat but focus on adding lean muscle... What's going on at the moment? Are you losing, gaining?

Can you post your entire routine and diet?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the responses so far, they've been very helpful.
    Daniel, to answer you question, my goal for the summer then would be moreso the 7-8% bodyfat with the same weight as opposed to higher weight/bulk and a higher body fat%, though from what I understand, maintaining my current weight and lowering my body fat % will take a fair amount of time as well. Currently I am maintaining at about 172-174lbs, with around 11-12% body fat. My routine/diet is pretty consistent for the most part so I have not really increased or decreased.

Workout Routine:

I know this is the diet/nutrition thread, but I figure this is directly connected to my goals. Apologies in advance if I screw up the names of the exercises, I'll try to include a description so that you get the general idea. The days listed aren't necessarily in the same order every week. I've included the amount of weight for most exercises (some are on cable machines, so I'm 100% certain of the actual weight amount).

Day1: Cardio--About 30-35 min. of jumprope, followed by 8-10 minutes of elliptical training.

Day2: Arms--
    -4 sets of 6-8 reps of tricep rope pulldown, set on plate #10 (100lbs I think)
    -4 sets of 6-8 reps of tricep bar push down using curl bar on crossover cable machine (same weight as rope pulldown).
    -4 sets of dips, body weight + 15lb dumbbell added.
    -3 or 4 sets of tricep push-backs (while leaning over), using 15 lb dumbbell
    -1 giant drop set of bicep concentration curls (8 x 35, 4 x 30, 4 x 25, 7 x 20), do this for each arm.
    -4 sets of hammer curls using hammer curl bar (17.5lbs on each side, about 70 pounds in total with the bar I think).
    -4 sets of reverse bicep curls on crossover cable machine (instead of my palms facing up, they face down). Plate #7 (70 lbs)
    -4 sets of traditional standing bicep curls using straight bar (a little smaller size that normal 45lb barbell). 50lbs in total.

Day3: Legs--
    -4 sets of leg press. (about 250lbs)
    -4 sets of leg extensions (plate #9, 90lbs)
    -4 sets of leg curls (plate #10, 100lbs)
    -4 sets of abductor presses (I think this is about 150lbs)
    -4 sets of adductor presses. (I think this is about 150lbs).

Day4: Abs/Cardio
    -4 sets of leg raises/ceiling kicks. About 20 reps each set.
    -4 sets of leg extension rows, about 25 reps each set.
    -2 sets of oblique crunches using slant bench. Body weight + 25lb plate.
    -4 sets of planks to work the core. About 75 seconds each set.
    -4 sets of hanging leg raises, about 15 reps each set.
    -20-30 min. of jumprope.

Day5: Chest/Back
    -4 sets of incline dumbbell presses. 60lb dumbell each hand. 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets flat dumbbell presses. 70lb dumbbell each hand. 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets incline bench on machine (the kind where you add actual plates). Add about 75lbs each side. 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets of military press on machine (same type as above). About 110 lbs, 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets of crossover cables, plate #9, with 5lb key added. 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets of inner chest crossover cables (handles are attached to lower stack, and I bring my arms in and then push up over my head). 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets on butterfly machine. 150lbs, 6-8 reps each set.
    -3 sets on lat tower pull ups, no weight assistance. about 8 reps each set.
    -3-sets of lat pulls, plate #13 (about 130lbs). About 7-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets of seat cable rows, about 65lbs each side, about 6-8 reps each set.

I've thought about adding another day to my routine to include traps and a few odds and ends.

DIET

I eat approx 2500 calories a day, which I am realizing is not enough if I want to bulk up. My average day goes something like this:

Morning (stretched over about 2 hours).
    1 cup of light yogurt
    1 banana
    1 Odwalla protein bar (16g of protein)
    1 pouch of instant oatmeal (flavored)

Lunch
    1 grilled chicken breast
    1 medium sized serving of mixed vegetables
    occasionally i'll have half a sandwhich as well (turkey, lettuce, tomato)

Mid afternoon I'll have a protein shake w/creatine (27-30g of protein)

Dinner
    Lean Cuisine tv dinner
    and either 2 grilled tilapia fillets or 2 grilled chicken breasts
    1 large serving of soybean pods (edamame)
    sometimes another banana

Sorry, I know this is not the best diet info in the world, but I just started tracking this very recently.

In writing all this I've come to the conclusion that I would be perfectly fine with being the weight I am now, only with about 7% body fat instead of 11-12. This would need to be by the third week of June, as I am going to Hawaii for vacation then. Any advice on my diet/workout routine would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Holy crap... where do we begin? Um, first of all, your workout is way too involved.

Day1: Cardio--About 30-35 min. of jumprope, followed by 8-10 minutes of elliptical training.

Cut this crap out. Unless you're a freshman girl, break it off with the elliptical and the treadmill. Just walk away. Jumping rope is fine, if you must, but just remember that if you are an ectomorph, aka ''hardgainer'', the more calories you burn the less muscle you will be able to gain from your lifts.

Day2: Arms--
    -4 sets of 6-8 reps of tricep rope pulldown, set on plate #10 (100lbs I think)
    -4 sets of 6-8 reps of tricep bar push down using curl bar on crossover cable machine (same weight as rope pulldown).
    -4 sets of dips, body weight + 15lb dumbbell added.
    -3 or 4 sets of tricep push-backs (while leaning over), using 15 lb dumbbell
    -1 giant drop set of bicep concentration curls (8 x 35, 4 x 30, 4 x 25, 7 x 20), do this for each arm.
    -4 sets of hammer curls using hammer curl bar (17.5lbs on each side, about 70 pounds in total with the bar I think).
    -4 sets of reverse bicep curls on crossover cable machine (instead of my palms facing up, they face down). Plate #7 (70 lbs)
    -4 sets of traditional standing bicep curls using straight bar (a little smaller size that normal 45lb barbell). 50lbs in total.

There are some good things here, such as dips, reverse curls and... well, thats it IMO. I think biceps are the most overly trained muscle group EVERRR, and it would be in your best interest to forget about it. Start doing pull ups and rows, compound lifts... not to be rude or anything, but you're the kind of person we refer to here as "curl jockeys". Search around on this site, read the articles and develop a routine that includes lots of compound movements.

Day3: Legs--
    -4 sets of leg press. (about 250lbs)
    -4 sets of leg extensions (plate #9, 90lbs)
    -4 sets of leg curls (plate #10, 100lbs)
    -4 sets of abductor presses (I think this is about 150lbs)
    -4 sets of adductor presses. (I think this is about 150lbs).

START SQUATTING. Please, do yourself a favor and start squatting. The leg press is inferior to squatting in almost every way for your goals, and everyone on this website will agree unanimously with me on that one. Start squatting, that's all I can say on this subject.

Day4: Abs/Cardio
    -4 sets of leg raises/ceiling kicks. About 20 reps each set.
    -4 sets of leg extension rows, about 25 reps each set.
    -2 sets of oblique crunches using slant bench. Body weight + 25lb plate.
    -4 sets of planks to work the core. About 75 seconds each set.
    -4 sets of hanging leg raises, about 15 reps each set.
    -20-30 min. of jumprope.

Give up on the cardio. If you're gonna start bulking, just give up on the cardio. If you must, do a few minutes of jumping rope because you seem to like it so much (I'm a boxer, I can't part with my jump rope). I see some good things here, too, including the planks and the leg raises. I don't even claim to know what a "leg extension row" is, but I can only assume you're referring to some kind of machine. Forget about these machines, they are garbage. Abs are best done on the floor, mainly because the abs must work in conjunction with the hip flexors. Aside from that, having a whole day for abs is ridiculous. Abs should be something that you throw into your routine many times a week, if not every day.

Day5: Chest/Back
    -4 sets of incline dumbbell presses. 60lb dumbell each hand. 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets flat dumbbell presses. 70lb dumbbell each hand. 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets incline bench on machine (the kind where you add actual plates). Add about 75lbs each side. 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets of military press on machine (same type as above). About 110 lbs, 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets of crossover cables, plate #9, with 5lb key added. 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets of inner chest crossover cables (handles are attached to lower stack, and I bring my arms in and then push up over my head). 6-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets on butterfly machine. 150lbs, 6-8 reps each set.
    -3 sets on lat tower pull ups, no weight assistance. about 8 reps each set.
    -3-sets of lat pulls, plate #13 (about 130lbs). About 7-8 reps each set.
    -4 sets of seat cable rows, about 65lbs each side, about 6-8 reps each set.
    We need to break your addiction to machines and get you on the WBB equivalent of methadone; HEAVY IRON WEIGHTS. Also, you need to get on a gainer, like Maximus or my favorite, Cytogainer. You are gonna need at least 3500 calories per day. Of that, your gonna wanna shoot for 200-250g of protein a day, and about 350-400 grams of carbs.

I see you like the dumbells, which is great, but you need to start working on your foundation with bench press, squats, and deadlifts. Trust me, you will fall in love with these three lifts and in time you might completely forget about your love affair with these machines. Start doing a lot more research on your own, because we can only give you our opinions, and our opinions vary to the extreme sometimes. Good luck to you...
    Last edited by dougyp; 03-13-2008 at 02:53 AM.